U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Caldwell from Michigan with my fiance tomorrow. Wow!!! How scary is that??? We have 2 horses and a house on 40 acres that don't have water rights. I have searched for info on obtaining water rights and agricultural wells but haven't come up with anything. Black Canyon ditch runs thru the lower half of the property. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge? Also, I have tried Google searching for horse trails and camping but haven't come up with anything. We are lucky because BLM land backs up to our land. Are we allowed to ride anywhere on BLM land? Any restrictions? Are we allowed to put in a gate on our fence line? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. We know only our realtor in Idaho so this is going to be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:37 AM

742 posts, read 829,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmdeck View Post
I am moving to Caldwell from Michigan with my fiance tomorrow. Wow!!! How scary is that??? We have 2 horses and a house on 40 acres that don't have water rights. I have searched for info on obtaining water rights and agricultural wells but haven't come up with anything. Black Canyon ditch runs thru the lower half of the property. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge? Also, I have tried Google searching for horse trails and camping but haven't come up with anything. We are lucky because BLM land backs up to our land. Are we allowed to ride anywhere on BLM land? Any restrictions? Are we allowed to put in a gate on our fence line? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. We know only our realtor in Idaho so this is going to be a challenge.
Idaho Department of Water Resources.

BLM and USFS will have trail maps that show designated uses for each district or unit.

Technically, yes and no when it comes to being able to ride anywhere on BLM land. I say yes because it is public land and, technically, you can go just about anywhere on it. I say no because both the USFS and BLM have travel planning management completed and they have designated or "preferred" use for the lands. The rule of thumb is to stay on the trails. There are a lot of reasons for that, so it's best to do so. The idea is to prevent a tragedy of the commons, whereby everyone does what they want and in time a place is ruined. So yes, stay on the trails.

Dunno about the gate. Is it your fence? If not, then probably no. On the other hand, BLM land that is fenced is typically fenced by the rancher who grazes that allotment, so there is supposed to be access at all times. Find out who leases the AUMS behind you, talk to the rancher and see what you can work out.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:58 PM

704 posts, read 628,116 times
I think you will find both the Idaho Department of Water Resources and the BLM pretty accommodating of your questions. I would make an appointment with each and talk to them in person about your property. Check out nearby well boring logs from recent wells to give you an idea of depth and types of soil prior to drilling even a domestic well.

Since your are buying the property, your title report might show history on the water rights. It is possible that the property had them and they were sold or transferred somewhere along the line.

Hope this helps!
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area