U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 AM

148 posts, read 285,655 times

Advertisements

I think Nampa gets a bad rap, I have friends who moved here last October and because they were priced out of alot of areas in Boise started looking in Nampa, they found a lovely home in a safe neighborhood and they love it there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:45 AM

695 posts, read 686,634 times
Nampa is almost 32 square miles. Like with any city, there are some bad areas but those areas are small in comparison to the good.

There are areas of Boise that I wouldn't walk in daylight, let alone nighttime. Meridian has some sketchy areas as well, Eagle I'm not that familiar with to know.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM

228 posts, read 567,981 times
What part of Meridian would you consider to be sketchy?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
What part of Meridian would you consider to be sketchy?
Along Fairview, between Locust Grove and Linder.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,219,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Nampa is almost 32 square miles. Like with any city, there are some bad areas but those areas are small in comparison to the good.

There are areas of Boise that I wouldn't walk in daylight, let alone nighttime. Meridian has some sketchy areas as well, Eagle I'm not that familiar with to know.
What parts of Boise would you not walk in during daylight?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:34 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,970,931 times
Nampa is a mix, there's good and there is bad. Much of Nampa was a terrible place about 10 years ago. The treasure valley saw a huge crime spike in the early 00s but its tapered off to a point that's about like any city of its size. Most of these problems were due to growing pains and the bottom falling out of the economy. One thing that some people don't like about Nampa is the Spanish speaking population. In my experience people of all colors have a percentage of nasty people, but I have never once had any difficulty with Hispanic people in Nampa. But if you personally have a beef with a large Hispanic population you probably wont like Nampa. Boise has its own crime issues with garden city. Boise likes to pretend that garden city isn't Boise territory but garden city is literally surrounded by Boise and much if the time you're going through GC to get to most of Boise. So don't let the figures get to you too much, they are kind of skewed by this little technicality.

Boise has more to offer in the form of parks, concerts and general culture, but by the time you pay to live there, you could just as easily drive there from Nampa. Kuna is another nearby town that is kind of under the radar. There isn't much to do in Kuna in terms of cultural outings beyond some restaurants and a few festivals. But Kuna is a peaceful place, its about as cheap as if not cheaper than Nampa and a little closer too. Just a thought.

That being said, Nampa is a fine place to live, but there at a few neighborhoods you wont want, you'll be able to notice when your looking around. These hoods aren't bad like Compton,the worst that will likely happen is a stolen stereo or something like that. The really messy crime in Nampa is usually personal beefs that strangers wont be involved with - usually. Nampa has some really nice places and most of Nampa is at least acceptable. Boise is nice, but not worth the price. The flip side is that if you work in Boise you're going to spent that extra housing money getting back and forth every day. If money is the issue maybe crunch the numbers to see how much you'll spend commuting, sometimes it is actually cheaper to live in Boise, bur that all depends on the home and the car that you'll be in

Old 09-23-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
What parts of Boise would you not walk in during daylight?
Garden City. Sadly, some of the neighborhoods around shelters, in particular, the area around the 84, Americana Blvd. and River St.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:26 PM

148 posts, read 285,655 times
It really depends what area of each city you are talking about. I live in Garden City off Glenwood and Marigold and I LOVE my location, my subdivision is small 32 homes located a block from the greenbelt, which was the big draw for me when I bought. I get my exercise every day and enjoy beautiful scenery!
My friends found the south part of Nampa to be a very safe and attractive area for their home search. Their subdivision "The Islands" is very well kept and has a great HOA and neighborhood watch. They love to take drives and have found lots of interesting places out by the wineries and Snake River to enjoy. This board was such a wealth of information for me when I was house hunting, that and a wonderful realtor who knows Ada county frontwards and backwards made my search a great success.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
It really depends what area of each city you are talking about. I live in Garden City off Glenwood and Marigold and I LOVE my location, my subdivision is small 32 homes located a block from the greenbelt, which was the big draw for me when I bought. I get my exercise every day and enjoy beautiful scenery!
My friends found the south part of Nampa to be a very safe and attractive area for their home search. Their subdivision "The Islands" is very well kept and has a great HOA and neighborhood watch. They love to take drives and have found lots of interesting places out by the wineries and Snake River to enjoy. This board was such a wealth of information for me when I was house hunting, that and a wonderful realtor who knows Ada county frontwards and backwards made my search a great success.

I am not far from them, the walking paths in, and near The Islands is spectacular!! Do they get out to Sawtooth Winery? One of my favorites.

I think all cities, across the US have areas that are "questionable", there are only a few that I consider to be really bad, city-wide. Compton, CA, Wilmington, CA (even tho' Wilmington has an architecturally gorgeous area, it's still pretty creepy at night).

Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 PM

447 posts, read 458,550 times
boisebound is right about areas to avoid. I went to NNU back in 2008 and though I generally found nampa to be a great little city sure with some poverty and dumpy areas but mostly fine. We did have some thefts and violent crimes even near or on campus but on the whole I'd consider living there if budget was a concern biggest problem for me would be the traffic/weather deal involved with commuting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area