Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM

335 posts, read 376,558 times

Advertisements

So what months are we looking at before Mr. Winter hits. I just got into my domicile and need to winterize it. So much to do though I was just wondering how much time do I have before its real cold and it snows. Do you recommend carrying a winter kit in your car just in case? Like food, blankets,water just in case of being stranded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:48 AM

731 posts, read 958,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
So what months are we looking at before Mr. Winter hits. I just got into my domicile and need to winterize it. So much to do though I was just wondering how much time do I have before its real cold and it snows. Do you recommend carrying a winter kit in your car just in case? Like food, blankets,water just in case of being stranded?
Average Frost Dates - Farmers' Almanac

I had a summer kit, and now a winter kit, in my car. Always smart to be prepared.

Am toying with the idea of switching from all-weather tires to winter tires, maybe not w/studs, but winter tires at least. Not so much due to snow, but more for driving on ice.

If you are in an irrigation district, you need to find out when your landscape water will be turned off, which will probably be any day now. Talk to neighbors or your HOA, or the City about this. Once off, you'll need to have the system "blown out" so that standing water doesn't freeze and burst pipes. Lots of folks do that for about $25, but if you have an air compressor, you can do it yourself.

Get some spigot covers (foam usually) from any of the local hardware stores, for all outdoor spigots so they don't freeze.

Drain any garden hoses and store in your garage. I made sure that my downspouts drain away from the house, and used several cheap, easy to attach, "trays" and "tubes" to do this. Home Depot/Lowe's. have them.

I might insulate my garage doors, we'll see how cold it gets in there first, and how much that cold may or may not bother me. HD and Lowe's have kits that make this fairly easy.

When it's windy, walk about the house with a stick of incense, watch where the smoke goes, particulary around windows/doors/outlets and such.

Critters like to come in from the cold. Plug holes to keep out mice, etc.

Am sure your already aware of much of this, as it holds true in any climate, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Have fun, and again, welcome to Idaho!!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:39 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Thumbs up Great post! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post

I had a summer kit, and now a winter kit, in my car. Always smart to be prepared.

Am toying with the idea of switching from all-weather tires to winter tires, maybe not w/studs, but winter tires at least. Not so much due to snow, but more for driving on ice.

If you are in an irrigation district, you need to find out when your landscape water will be turned off, which will probably be any day now. Talk to neighbors or your HOA, or the City about this. Once off, you'll need to have the system "blown out" so that standing water doesn't freeze and burst pipes. Lots of folks do that for about $25, but if you have an air compressor, you can do it yourself.

Get some spigot covers (foam usually) from any of the local hardware stores, for all outdoor spigots so they don't freeze.

Drain any garden hoses and store in your garage. I made sure that my downspouts drain away from the house, and used several cheap, easy to attach, "trays" and "tubes" to do this. Home Depot/Lowe's. have them.

I might insulate my garage doors, we'll see how cold it gets in there first, and how much that cold may or may not bother me. HD and Lowe's have kits that make this fairly easy.

When it's windy, walk about the house with a stick of incense, watch where the smoke goes, particulary around windows/doors/outlets and such.

Am sure your already aware of much of this, as it holds true in any climate, but thought I'd toss it out there.

BB2012, Great post with very helpful tips & link! You are one of my favorite posters It is so cool that you got everyone together for lunch Enjoy your new home! 5 REPS/cookies going your way!

I love it when I see people contributing with helpful information after they moved in!

Mickdoo, best of wishes to you as well

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-04-2015 at 12:51 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
BB2012, Great post with very helpful tips & link! You are one of my favorite posters It is so cool that you got everyone together for lunch Enjoy your new home! 5 REPS/cookies going your way!

I love it when I see people contributing with helpful information after they moved in!

Wow, thank you!!! I love sharing info., the more we know, the better off we are (usually ).

Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post

Thanks Alice you are the best...

Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

heh thank you very much

Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 PM

I just thought of something else too. Make sure you have right mix of anti freeze in the radiator. You can check this with a device from auto parts store. I would go for a mix that was zero or below. If not your block will crack.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I just thought of something else too. Make sure you have right mix of anti freeze in the radiator. You can check this with a device from auto parts store. I would go for a mix that was zero or below. If not your block will crack.
OH! Good point, I need to do that next month since my car was new in CA, and not been serviced here yet.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
If you're traveling out of town, you definitely should have blankets, food and water in your vehicle. I'd say that's true most times during the year, but particularly in the winter. Tire chains/cables, a recovery strap, jumper cables and a first aid kit should also be on board. A small shovel is a good idea too, as is a good flashlight or headlamp.

Suitable clothing is a must as well. I helped a kid a couple of winters ago who came around a corner too fast and hit some ice and rolled his car. I got his car off the road called for help and then waited with him. The kid was wearing shorts with flip flops, and the heaviest thing he had to wear was sweatshirt. Bear in mind this was in January in the mountains during a heavy snow storm. It wasn't super cold but it was probably only 15-20 degrees.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
If you're traveling out of town, you definitely should have blankets, food and water in your vehicle. I'd say that's true most times during the year, but particularly in the winter. Tire chains/cables, a recovery strap, jumper cables and a first aid kit should also be on board. A small shovel is a good idea too, as is a good flashlight or headlamp.

Suitable clothing is a must as well. I helped a kid a couple of winters ago who came around a corner too fast and hit some ice and rolled his car. I got his car off the road called for help and then waited with him. The kid was wearing shorts with flip flops, and the heaviest thing he had to wear was sweatshirt. Bear in mind this was in January in the mountains during a heavy snow storm. It wasn't super cold but it was probably only 15-20 degrees.
Thanks Ida , good job helping that youngster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area