U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 5,677 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on how to physically move a household from Seattle, WA to Nampa, ID? I'm talking about recommendations for moving companies, driving ourselves vs. letting the company drive, trucks vs. pods, pricing shockers good vs. bad vs . Any info from any recent movies would be greatly appreciated. Also, are you glad you moved???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 AM

742 posts, read 840,182 times
If you do a search there have been some Seattle folk who moved here and like it, and some who did not (and ended up moving back or elsewhere).

Recently there was a poster who spent several months exploring the move and decided it wasn't worth it for them to do so. I forget their name.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 AM

879 posts, read 2,494,212 times
Also depends on your definition of "Seattle". A lot of people are moving from "LA" to Boise but they're moving from a suburban area which is much different than say, Hollywood. Same applies to Seattle. If you're moving from Maple Valley to Nampa you probably won't be in for too much of a culture shock or changes in amenities. But you're moving from say, Capitol Hill to Nampa...you're in for a big change.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 5,677 times
We're definitely moving to Nampa. We have good friends there and I have visited 30+ times. My friend lives in southeast Nampa and that seems to be the area with most positive feedback so that's where we'll start our search. We're renting while we search for .5 - 1 acre to build on. I think we've decided to use a U-Haul truck to move with. Now we're contacting rental agencies to help locate a rental. We've contacted RPM Idaho...any recommendations for other agencies. Or does anyone happen to have a 950+ sf home in southeast Nampa to rent to a mid 50's couple with 2 cats and 1 dog? Just thought I'd check!

Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM

122 posts, read 167,043 times
We had a good experience with ABF U-Pack, which is basically a Pods service. I liked it a lot more than a truck, more flexible and the lip plate is low, made it easy to even move our upright piano.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 PM

5,569 posts, read 3,713,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Also depends on your definition of "Seattle". A lot of people are moving from "LA" to Boise but they're moving from a suburban area which is much different than say, Hollywood. Same applies to Seattle. If you're moving from Maple Valley to Nampa you probably won't be in for too much of a culture shock or changes in amenities. But you're moving from say, Capitol Hill to Nampa...you're in for a big change.
Very profound comments. Though I would expect most moving from Seattle or LA would be outside the urban districts.

There are some major differences between the big urban areas of Seattle and LA to Boise, or Nampa. However, if you can live without the big city access, then it is a good move. Boise is developing into an urban area, but it can't really compete yet with LA or Seattle in that category. (That being said, Boise has tremendous growth potential, and has shown it the past decade or so).

Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,538,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post
We had a good experience with ABF U-Pack, which is basically a Pods service. I liked it a lot more than a truck, more flexible and the lip plate is low, made it easy to even move our upright piano.
I used them. It was a great experience!

Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM

695 posts, read 693,918 times
I used ABF trucking, my daughter used their Relocube service (similar to Pods), we were both very pleased with the service and the cost.

But, keep in mind, the time of year you chose to move will have a pretty big difference on pricing.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or