U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 AM

742 posts, read 838,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead69 View Post
thanks for your insight. Do you have a reference to the refugee relocation information from the city? Budget, locations, volume and relocation schedule? I value your feedback but it gets combersome when it is laced with hollow accusations and assumptions. You know extremely little about me.

I could easily make some sweeping assumptions about you but I couldn't be bothered. Insinuating I'm "simply running" is Bullsh!t. I truly am sorry you are watching your world change around you. I've been there, been living it for decades now. My home is long gone, ravished, trod-upon. I can blame the politicians, the "diversity, the thought-police, the rampant taxes, retarded special interest payola laws and regulations and/or I can blame the East Coasters, the Southern Californians, the ex-US immigrants, the "diversity" but in the end it doesn't mean crap. People migrate. The USA is in a huge state of flux right now, economically, socially etc.

regarding refugees; I've been, looked around, didn't see a problem. This is why I am asking you or other locals! BUT I am not interested in emotional "we like diversity", "foreigners are neat". I would rather know the long term plan for the refugees, how much it will cost to support them, how to house them blah, blah blah.

Peavy Derr is just some random talking head to me. Just seeking facts.

I didn't make any generalizations about you. At all.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Really? The Idaho Statesman? Are we talking about the same newspaper? I don't even read it anymore because I consider it much too conservative. I guess that says a lot about me if it is generally considered liberal.
Agree. The new editor has definitely moved the paper to the right.

----

Mick, if you worked for "Bear and Sterns," wouldn't you have known it was actually called "Bear Stearns." No "and."

Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 AM

879 posts, read 2,491,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
who says diversity is good? Lets look at the most diverse city in the country, Los Angeles. Maybe the most diverse city in the world. This shows how your statement is false. Cite facts not opinions. You remember what Clint Eastwood said about opinions.
So your opinions trump those of others apparently? Because most of what you've said in this thread is opinion.

A) LA, while very diverse is not the most diverse city in the country and hardly the world.
B) If you think the Idaho Statesman is liberal...may I suggest Russia?
C) LA has a lot of problems. A large swath of people would never live in Boise. There are 4 million people in LA, 9 million in the county. Many of whom are incredibly wealthy and could live anyplace. So, it is purely YOUR opinion LA is a cesspool.

It is clear by the response of Boiseans that they do not find this acceptable. Apologies to those that moved to Boise and are disappointed the city isn't ran and populated by xenophobes.

Obviously, there are struggles when refugees arrive in a new place. Some refugees may be lazy, others hard working. Some thugs, some great people. This isn't any different than Americans as a whole. Poverty and lack of opportunity creates crime, not race. Plenty of rural white towns plagued with crime and drugs.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM

There have been NO facts cited in this thread. Just opinions and anecdotes, which is all this topic will be, frankly. And as Boi2socal points out, there are lazy, displaced, or disenfranchised people in every group. Plenty of people here on CDF have expressed intent to move to Boise and their being on disability/welfare.

If you want data, here you go: Home :: Idaho Office for Refugees

Thing is, they're going to bring refugees here as Boise has been identified as a desirable place to do so. Just like some of us have to deal with Californian refugees, y'all will have to deal with international refugees. It is what it is.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM

335 posts, read 281,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
So your opinions trump those of others apparently? Because most of what you've said in this thread is opinion.

A) LA, while very diverse is not the most diverse city in the country and hardly the world.
B) If you think the Idaho Statesman is liberal...may I suggest Russia?
C) LA has a lot of problems. A large swath of people would never live in Boise. There are 4 million people in LA, 9 million in the county. Many of whom are incredibly wealthy and could live anyplace. So, it is purely YOUR opinion LA is a cesspool.

It is clear by the response of Boiseans that they do not find this acceptable. Apologies to those that moved to Boise and are disappointed the city isn't ran and populated by xenophobes.

Obviously, there are struggles when refugees arrive in a new place. Some refugees may be lazy, others hard working. Some thugs, some great people. This isn't any different than Americans as a whole. Poverty and lack of opportunity creates crime, not race. Plenty of rural white towns plagued with crime and drugs.
LA is the most diverse city in the United States, this is a factoid. Choice creates crime not environment. People choose to sell drugs and live a life of crime. It is not bestowed upon them by any means. People also choose to live right, get an education and succeed in life. Stop making excuses.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 142,453 times
<<they're not simply running away from "illegal immigrants," liberals, or other reasons of convenience. So forgive most people if their sympathies run with those who are facing a bit more dire situation than your typical Californian. Moreover, the refugees don't tend to be the group that is driving up prices and spurring rampant development in the area.>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
I didn't make any generalizations about you. At all.
Whew, good to hear you don't consider me a "typical Californian" then LOL

Thanks for the ID Refugee link, I couldn't find it via Dr. Google for some reason.

I'm all about helping people. I'm ALL about ethnic food. I'm also ALL about keeping my family safe. Trash comes in all colors and cultures. The "white trash" referred to in earlier posts are not the people moving to ID from California. It is important that government employees are fully responsible for whom they "OK" to be our neighbors. Their feet should be held to the fire for any "problems" they let loose into our country...but that's expecting a lot I suppose. One of the problems with beeding-hearts in California is that they will continue to "celebrate diversity" to their detriment. Living with the extremes day to day makes you pretty cautious.
Just stay aware, that is all I"m saying.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM

I certainly wasn't writing about you.

My white trash comments were about those types of people who are already living here. Most are probably native Idahoans anyway, but who knows? We all know the type I'm talking about, but my point was a larger one anyway.

My only point about comparing Californians coming here to refugees coming here is that refugees are usually immigrating because of life and death circumstances, so in my mind their plight is a bit more justified.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM

1,100 posts, read 818,461 times
Lots of recent immigrants in New Jersey. Good luck Boise...

Old 10-14-2015, 04:35 AM

1,100 posts, read 818,461 times
Just want to add to my above post.

It has been my direct experience most of these new immigrant groups do not want nor plan to assimilate.

They do not want nor plan to learn our language as past immigrant groups did.

They are quick to take full advantage of any social services available. Seems like 3-5 little kids each family immediately added to our schools. I see them in doctors offices with a few pieces of paper used for ID. While many of us struggle to get good medical care they appear to have no problem. I never see them pay for medical service. They just show a few pieces of paper.

Every few months I nearly get run down or plowed into by one of them driving a SUV or pickup truck. They clearly do not know our motor vehicle laws. Many fail to yield to pedestrians. Many think a right turn can be made without stopping at stop signs or red lights. Since many come from a pretty much lawless society I doubt very much they will ever have full respect for our laws the way the rest of us do.

While it might be nice to have compassion for others less fortunate it is also important to be aware when we are being stupid. I don't think the US or Europe can save the world. Frankly we are having enough trouble taking care of our own. Send these countries basic humanitarian aid. Help these countries build basic economies. But we can't open our doors to the world. Look at all the unemployment and underemployment in this country. We can't even take care of our own...

Old 10-14-2015, 05:46 AM

335 posts, read 281,216 times
The most diverse city in the United States is Oakland Ca. Oakland also gets the distinguished honor of being the 2nd most violent city In the USA with Detroit being #1. These are FBI facts. Also in Oakland last week the ice cream man was killed. Shot to death in his ice cream truck. You want diversity, move to Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or