U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 5,182 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a rural area and use Clearwire for my internet. As some have heard, they are shutting down on the 6th of next month. I have contacted CenturyLink and CableONE with no luck. HughesNET doesn't off a speed that would be viable for my household as I have kids and they enjoy their gaming/YouTUBE/Netflix and Hughesnet isn't good for duplex traffic.

My question is: Does anyone know any other options that might be viable for me? I like outside of Kuna in the cloverdale/hubbard area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 PM

2,714 posts, read 5,102,670 times
Try Dish, they supply both tv and internet.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:13 PM

No luck with Dish either

Old 10-17-2015, 10:30 AM

100 posts, read 84,966 times
That one could be a deal breaker for me as well. I was thinking about a rural area south of Kuna but may have to rethink that one. I had heard that Hughes Net and some others cost a lot per month for substandard service. Definitely not into that one.

How about internet inside Boise city limits? I am currently enjoying Dish for TV and cable for internet.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:32 PM

122 posts, read 164,509 times
There are other threads of course on internet in Boise proper. I'm on Cable One, which has horrible reviews, but then again CenturyLink does too. At any rate, no complaints from me yet. Fast, reliable, and the install tech was great.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 99,035 times
If you live anywhere where CenturyLink and Cable One are available, they are pretty much the best option. Otherwise you will be dealing with wireless and satellite providers that charge a lot for subpar service and have sky high data overages and low data caps.

Check to see whats available in your area using the FCC's Broadband Map tool:
http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 PM

100 posts, read 84,966 times
That is a good tool to use. Looks like DSL has the most coverage, followed by cable & Fiber. Not too surprising.

Is CenturyLink DSL or cable? In looking at the different speed options, I don't need the fastest so that is a benefit.

Thank you.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM

708 posts, read 1,142,043 times
You might look into what the different cell providers offer in terms of unlimited data and try working off hotspots. I think T-Mobile offers unlimited data if they have coverage at your house (their network in general stinks, but might be okay since you're pretty close in).

My house has no cable but luckily we do have a hard phone line for Centurylink, and it works okay most of the time.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,728 times
Unfortunately, the only wireless broadband option for us Clearwire refuges is RiseBroadband.com

They used to be Digis and by most accounts were/are terrible. Although, Clearwire became pretty terrible after Sprint bought them, so maybe we won't notice a difference.

I'll be switching to them in the next few weeks. I'd advise against signing their 2 year contract though and going month by month, in case some better options pop up in the area.

Last edited by IdaCZ; 10-19-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM

I have checked with the cell providers and although T-mobile does offer an unlimited data plan, it is only for their phones with a 7GB/mo data cap on that. Hotspots are all on limited plans that will be capped by my household in less than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area