U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 04:22 PM

162 posts, read 151,435 times

Advertisements

Plan on moving to the Treasure Valley in the next year or so. Right now I see downtown Boise trying to become a livable city with lofts, apartment buildings and homes in the city. I see the urban suburbs spreading west into Meridian and further west. Eagle and Star seem to be a hot spot. Garden City seems to want to improve their reputation. The bench seems to have lost a step in recent years, but is still nice.

There obviously is no master plan for the valley. I am trying to decide what area to move to that will still be nice in ten years. Anyone have any crystal balls to predict what the valley will look like in a decade?

Thanks much,
H.D.Humeston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:17 AM

742 posts, read 837,512 times
There are master plans in the valley; it's just the plans have only so much teeth to slow down or control growth. Google "COMPASS" and and of the city or county master plans. Boise's is "Blueprint Boise."

The growth is definitely heading west and south. It's definitely sprawling. There are some lip-service density and infill projects, but they are small potatoes. By and large people here don't want big city living; they want safe suburbia - 2 car garage, gated community, back yard type of stuff. And that's fine, but you pay the price with traffic.

Will it still be nice in 10 years? Absolutely. What will it look like in a decade? Just like it is now, but with more cars on the surface streets.

If you want an idea of what it will look like... look at a map. Notice there are only 2 freeways - 84 and I84. Now realize all of the traffic from Eagle, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, and Kuna.... how do they get around the area? Surface streets. Now double the population but keep the same infrastructure.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 AM

708 posts, read 1,155,575 times
I would imagine within 10 years the Highway 16 extension will be completed all the way to I-84. That should help ease the north/south traffic pressure on Eagle at least somewhat. Eventually the very long term plan (probably tentative at this point) is to run that extension south to Kuna-Mora road and then east to I-84 east of Boise. I'm sure that second part will be substantially more than 10 years out, though.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:01 AM

742 posts, read 837,512 times
But don't you agree that they will inevitably need a freeway connector running N/S, and probably something from Eagle to downtown Boise (State St.)... especially if the Western valley continues to grow like it does?

State St. was bumper to bumper 15mph from downtown to past Glenwood today around 7:45 am. Never seen it that bad.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM

335 posts, read 280,976 times
In 10 years Kuna will stretch all the way to Meridian, maybe not. Maybe Eagle will have a cell phone tower, maybe not. Maybe Boise will have a professional sports team, maybe not. Maybe Vandals will be welcoming californians, maybe not.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:14 AM

695 posts, read 691,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
In 10 years Kuna will stretch all the way to Meridian, maybe not. Maybe Eagle will have a cell phone tower, maybe not. Maybe Boise will have a professional sports team, maybe not. Maybe Vandals will be welcoming californians, maybe not.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,228,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
Plan on moving to the Treasure Valley in the next year or so. Right now I see downtown Boise trying to become a livable city with lofts, apartment buildings and homes in the city. I see the urban suburbs spreading west into Meridian and further west. Eagle and Star seem to be a hot spot. Garden City seems to want to improve their reputation. The bench seems to have lost a step in recent years, but is still nice.

There obviously is no master plan for the valley. I am trying to decide what area to move to that will still be nice in ten years. Anyone have any crystal balls to predict what the valley will look like in a decade?

Thanks much,
H.D.Humeston
Sprawl will likely continue in the path of least resistance. The farmland to the west and northwest will continue to be the cheap answer for most new construction. Downtown, Northend, Bench, and other built-out areas will see infill and redevelopment but not large scale population growth, there's simply not room.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 10-28-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Sprawl will likely continue in the path of least resistance. The farmland to the west and northwest will continue to be the cheap answer for most new construction. Downtown, Northend, Bench, and other built-out areas will see infill and redevelopment but not large scale population growth, there's simply not room.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM

608 posts, read 581,160 times
There was an article in the Statesman a few years ago that figured the population density and came up with the "center of the treasure valley." Eagle Rd and the interstate were what they called the Center of the Valley at that time. They also stated that in 20 years or so, it would be closer to the Idaho Center in Canyon county based on development.

Everything I have seen since tends to support that theory, so I guess a center/westward expansion is the future of the Treasure Valley.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
There was an article in the Statesman a few years ago that figured the population density and came up with the "center of the treasure valley." Eagle Rd and the interstate were what they called the Center of the Valley at that time. They also stated that in 20 years or so, it would be closer to the Idaho Center in Canyon county based on development.

Everything I have seen since tends to support that theory, so I guess a center/westward expansion is the future of the Treasure Valley.

I live not far from Idaho Center, about a month ago, we noted a few homes boarded up on, and near, the corner of Stamm and Happy Valley Rd.

Several lots have since been graded, and are being prepped for building...200+ apartments going in. Would much have preferred to see homes there, but it is what it is. I believe the same owners/developers of the Regency Apts. in Meridian are developing this.

It's growing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or