Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of changing carriers and would like to know pros and cons for these two carriers. Who has best reception, how is att's internet, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 05:31 PM

122 posts, read 229,857 times
Here's an interesting site you can put in your location, choose a carrier and whether you want to look at call vs. data performance and see a comparison overlay-ed on a Google map: RootMetrics Coverage Map

I haven't had complaints with Verizon, but it might depend on if you just hang around the city vs. heading up into the foothills more, etc., etc.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 PM

278 posts, read 906,283 times
Verizon is easily the best voice coverage, reliability, and LTE performance in the area. Verizon also has the best service in rural areas if you're going to be spending time in the mountains or elsewhere outside of Boise proper. If you're mostly going to be in Boise, I think Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all good options.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM

285 posts, read 540,778 times
A question that influenced my decision was which system could be used overseas. ATT is useable in Europe and Asia. Verizon was not.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:43 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
I had Verizon for years but switched to Cricket a few months ago. For those unaware, Cricket is owned by and utilizes AT&T's network. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by AT&T's coverage. It is a little more limited in certain areas, but mostly what I've found is it doesn't lack coverage, it just isn't quite as good. So for instance where Verizon was 4G most places, there are more places where I only have 3G now. But I'm fine with that overall. Our bill for two iPhones went from $150 to $70 per month, and we have more data now.

Sprint and T-Mobile have really bad networks so I'd avoid them. I actually recommend checking out Cricket because it's the one no-contract budget carrier that gives you a good network, and the savings are substantial. Even if you need a new phone, buy an unlocked one at full price and you're still better off in the long run.

All that being said, Verizon does still offer the best network in Idaho. The gap isn't as big as it used to be and it comes at a hefty premium, though.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
Verizon offers the best coverage, bar none.

T Mobile is far and away the best customer experience. I've been nothing but amazed at how they're pushing the envelope and changing the game. They were first with the no contract carrier thing, and now the others are jumping on that. Now T Mobile is offering essentially "free" audio and video streaming that doesn't count against your data caps. That's a game changer.

Verizon is still the best network, but you'll pay for it.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:06 PM

731 posts, read 958,278 times
Both my daughter and I have had Virgin Mobile for close to 5 years, originated in So. California, but have had very good service here too!

$45 plus tax per month, unlimited text, 1,200 min. (don't roll over) and "unlimited" data. There is always some sort of throttle on data but we've never exceed it, even when using Netflix several times a month and Pandora regularly. Am not sure if that "deal" is still available, but maybe worth looking in to.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 PM

61 posts, read 164,054 times
Verizon is good in most areas, however, I live in Eagle in the Two Rivers area and I have to say it is the worst I have experienced. There is only 1 cell tower at Chinden and Eagle rd. As I sit here in my living room with a giant window next to me, I have 1 bar of 3G coverage on my Samsung S6. That's just terrible. I can't even use the advanced call capability because it drops too many calls trying to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G should I be so lucky. Everywhere else seems to work fine. Working in Middleton, I have perfect 4G coverage. I've complained to Verizon and they say "they are working on it". Sure. Unfortunately, I dare not move as the other carriers seem just as bad. I'm holding out hope that Verizon will allow phone calls via wifi instead which would clear up this problem. They got approval just recently, but say they are only going to allow Iphones on it first. Guess I have to wait longer

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
Verizon is good in most areas, however, I live in Eagle in the Two Rivers area and I have to say it is the worst I have experienced. There is only 1 cell tower at Chinden and Eagle rd. As I sit here in my living room with a giant window next to me, I have 1 bar of 3G coverage on my Samsung S6. That's just terrible. I can't even use the advanced call capability because it drops too many calls trying to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G should I be so lucky. Everywhere else seems to work fine. Working in Middleton, I have perfect 4G coverage. I've complained to Verizon and they say "they are working on it". Sure. Unfortunately, I dare not move as the other carriers seem just as bad. I'm holding out hope that Verizon will allow phone calls via wifi instead which would clear up this problem. They got approval just recently, but say they are only going to allow Iphones on it first. Guess I have to wait longer
Or buy an iPhone. They're better anyway.

FWIW, AT&T has a lot better coverage where my office is located. Verizon has the best overall network, but it isn't universally better for all situations.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,857 times
Thank you everyone for your input. We haven't made a decision yet, but really appreciate your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: