U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 PM

195 posts, read 594,427 times

Advertisements

My job gave me a list of places to choose from and Boise is on there. I honestly know nothing about Idaho except some of my distant relatives live on the Nez Perce reservation where one of my grandparents was from. Coming from Hawaii I'm sure we would in for a shock but I'm sure we could adapt. We are liberal vegetarians who like fresh food and hippie culture. It would me, wife, 2 kids 13 and 6. My job will only give like $1100 a month for rent there so it must be cheap. Any good areas we should start looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,266,564 times
seeing as how you need cheap rent, boise is a good location because it's affordable..and lots of options in that price range Probably one of the most affordable cities in the nation, outside of the midwest. My parents live in SE boise and their neighbors across the street are from Hawaii. They are actually Hawaiian natives, and they retired in Boise after working for the Postal Service. They always plant beautiful tropical plants in their yard every year, only sad part is they die when winter hits. You wouldn't be alone in Boise, but you're right it will be quite a culture shock. But boise is consistently one of the best places to live each year on multiple studies. Only thing that will be tough is lack of ocean, and knowing that the ocean is 500 miles away...and for people use to living near the ocean sometimes it feels claustrophobic... but for people that didn't grow up near the ocean, being on a tiny island surrounded by water feels the same way for them...
you can't really go wrong with boise...

Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Lack of ocean will be tough but most places in the Western U.S. the water is far too cold to enjoy anyway. I'm also not willing to live in the gulf coast or Florida where the water is warm. Sounds like we could be happy there in Boise. what are the areas with good schools or all they all pretty similar.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM

695 posts, read 687,945 times
Wow, now that is a big change! I think you'll be able to find something in your range, are you looking for a 2, or 3 bedroom?
There is a regular poster here who manages RE, she may come along soon for advice.

You'll find plenty of fresh items here, lots of locavores-in-residence and farmer's mkts. Not sure how much "hippy culture" there is but am sure you'll do fine! Check out the local Meetups, they may have something to your liking.

Although I haven't been there yet, this place gets good reviews...their website seems to be down currently though, so here here is their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/Shangri-La-...4050571628570/

Old 12-19-2015, 01:58 PM

704 posts, read 632,505 times
In Boise, the rent is typically higher than current mortgage payments would be on the same home, but renting is a good option for people learning the areas of town and making sure they want to live in a specific part of town.

One part of town you might enjoy is the "north end" of Boise. Hyde Park is a small micro community off 13th Street. Living closer to downtown and BSU can be fun too. I know the little house I used to own while going to BSU was between BSU and downtown so it was great for that stage of my life.

There isn't much for surfing in Boise except for River Surfing and the whitewater park, but the water is going to feel like ice water compared to Hawaii.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 8,377 times
Having lived in the Treasure Valley for twenty years I think because of the things you like you are better off living some place else than the Treasure Valley.

The weather is hot as Hades in summer with no breeze like in Hawaii, the winter is excruciatingly cold. The rents have actually gone up and because the wages are so low in Idaho the Statesman reported this huge shortage of affordable housing. It is not green like Hawaii. Boise is a desert. No color except for dead and yellow in winter with snow patches and a mere two weeks of spring before the blistering heat puts the majority of the population in the Boise River just to cool down. The foothills become a possible fire hazard with just one spark from some careless person with a match, firework, cigarette whatever.

The Greenbelt is nice, the bigger parks are nice, a few good restaurants, but mostly bad with bad service, and you will have to shop at the Co-Op for the Hippie lifestyle you embrace. The majority of the area is religious right wing extremist types who have a bigger love of guns than for their own family. It reminds me of the film "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" where the humans worshipped an Atomic Bomb in comparison a majority of the Treasure Valley worship the "Gun". Instead of peeling off their faces and saying "I reveal my inmost self, the Idahoans pull off their shirts to reveal their giant obese stomachs. Then they jump into the river because it is just to hot to be walking under that blistering sun. But at least they can't take the guns in the water because they might rust.

A little tongue in cheek but I think you would be better off moving to Portland, Oregon.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM

36 posts, read 59,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 3 View Post
Having lived in the Treasure Valley for twenty years I think because of the things you like you are better off living some place else than the Treasure Valley.

The weather is hot as Hades in summer with no breeze like in Hawaii, the winter is excruciatingly cold. The rents have actually gone up and because the wages are so low in Idaho the Statesman reported this huge shortage of affordable housing. It is not green like Hawaii. Boise is a desert. No color except for dead and yellow in winter with snow patches and a mere two weeks of spring before the blistering heat puts the majority of the population in the Boise River just to cool down. The foothills become a possible fire hazard with just one spark from some careless person with a match, firework, cigarette whatever.

The Greenbelt is nice, the bigger parks are nice, a few good restaurants, but mostly bad with bad service, and you will have to shop at the Co-Op for the Hippie lifestyle you embrace. The majority of the area is religious right wing extremist types who have a bigger love of guns than for their own family. It reminds me of the film "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" where the humans worshipped an Atomic Bomb in comparison a majority of the Treasure Valley worship the "Gun". Instead of peeling off their faces and saying "I reveal my inmost self, the Idahoans pull off their shirts to reveal their giant obese stomachs. Then they jump into the river because it is just to hot to be walking under that blistering sun. But at least they can't take the guns in the water because they might rust.

A little tongue in cheek but I think you would be better off moving to Portland, Oregon.
Where will he find a place for a family for $1100 rent in Portland? That aside, I'd agree Portland would be a better fit for people that like the hippy thing.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Well looks like they are giving the Boise job to somone else. We would love to move to Pottland but unfortunately there's no positions there for me. I'll be staying in Honolulu for another 2 years or so and then who knows. Right wing gun country is definitely not our style but I embrace ones right to be like that if they so choose.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 AM

704 posts, read 632,505 times
Bummer you didn't get offered the job, but hope 2016 turns out to be a great year for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area