Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 AM

140 posts, read 124,607 times

Advertisements

So this is my first inversion. It really is nothing. Some fog, cloudiness. They way is was described seemed way more intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
We haven't had any significant inversions this year. Maybe we'll get lucky. It's also been quite warm.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,952 times
Experiencing one inversion doesn't negate other's views. Some of whom have lived in Boise for many years. It is kind of like moving to Chicago and experiencing a light snow and saying, "oh winters aren't so bad here." I wouldn't say inversions would be a reason not to live in Boise. But it is one of the less attractive experiences of the area.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabbhadou View Post
So this is my first inversion. It really is nothing. Some fog, cloudiness. They way is was described seemed way more intense.
We haven't really had an inversion this year. We had a few days toward the tail end of November, but that was minor compared to the last few years.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:41 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
The best thing to do during an inversion is to head to the mountains! When a hard inversion sets in, it can be 10 degrees or more warmer at Bogus Basin and clear blue skies above. BTW, night skiing last night was great!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 17,774 times
I'm interested in Boise but reading about the inversions deters me from making that move. How often are the really bad ones?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em678 View Post
I'm interested in Boise but reading about the inversions deters me from making that move. How often are the really bad ones?
We probably average one fairly bad one a year, sometimes two. But some years it's worse and some years it's better. It generally bothers me a lot less than smoke in the summer during a bad wildfire season.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:43 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,916 times
Quote:
It all depends on the person. As was said, we get one or two a year. Total number days can range from 5 or so to 20-25 or more.

For what it's worth, I had some friends who recently moved up here from California. They were here about 4 months before they moved to Austin, TX. The reason: they couldn't handle the inversions. They had no idea what to expect, the wife got stir crazy and SAD, and husband looked for jobs in Austin (which was their 2nd choice to Idaho), found one, and they bailed.

Some people stick it out and adjust just fine. Don't underestimate it, but don't let it scare you either.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
We had an inversion this year? I must have missed it. We had like 2 foggy days, I guess that might have been an inversion. But I don't count it if it lasts less than a week.

It has been a really warm, mild winter so far. Very nice.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:

Usually a bad one a year which could either be a winter inversion when we have cold temps and high pressure and a period of no storms, or summer inversion from fires throughout the western USA, but as IdaD said it depends on the year. The length also varies depending on the year and weather patterns. When we do have a bad inversion it really boils down to how you handle it personally. It bothers some, others aren't bothered. IdahoBroker gave a perfect example of how to escape one and you don't have to go far to get out of one.

When you take the entire calendar year into consideration, inversions are but a very small part of the year. Less than a month ago we had bitter temperatures and an inversion didn't really set in as heavy as other years. Most places where a city is built at the base of mountains you will have to deal with the occasional inversion.

I see you are from Austin and I have some friends who moved here to Boise from there 4 years ago and they haven't been bothered by the inversions they've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: