U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 710 times

Advertisements

My best friend is a Boise native, and I have lived in northern Virginia my whole life. My husband has as well.
We are very outdoorsy, like to be active, animal lovers. Generally we're good people.
I'm worried the culture shock may be a bit rough for my husband. Just in terms of how fast paced life is here, compared to Idaho, or most of the rest of the USA in general!
I've visited a handful of times for weeks and once stayed a month and a half, so I know what to expect, and this is the main reason I love the state, aside from obvious reasons (natural beauty, more affordable housing market)
If anyone has moved from a city or metropolitan area, we would love some insight on how it felt or if you think you made the right decision to move.

I'm curious as to what kind of employment is growing out there now?
I have no college degree, am experienced in an office setting and in industrial manufacturing.
Husband has an associate degree in fine arts, strong retail and management background.

We have a blind dog who has glaucoma, veterinary opthalmologist in the area is necessary, or we won't even consider the move.
If anyone has any recommended vets that'd be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM

704 posts, read 631,240 times
I have lived all over the world and this time (3rd time) in Boise, I have been here for about 30 years. I lived in Leesburg, Virginia in the early 80's so I can definitely appreciate your concern. Many people joke about "Welcome to Idaho, set your clock back 10 years". Imagine living in Leesburg as the hub instead of Washington DC. No Route 7 Corridor, no Beltway, no subways, only one airport and you are close to describing Boise.

I remember how underwhelmed I was with the Appalachian Mountains since they were more like our foothills. You should love the mountain here because they are in a word "mountainous" and not as full of people as you are used to. Hunting and fishing is way better and you can actually eat the fish you catch in the Boise River in downtown Boise. The fish I caught in the rivers in Virginia were fun, but I opted not to eat them. I even felt concerned over eating just one Bluefish out of Chesapeake Bay.

I have to run to an appointment, so I will log back in later and address the employment and vet options. Our pay is known to be on the low scale (especially from what you are used to), so make sure you compare the entire cost of living differential. For example, when I moved to Virginia to work in Tyson's Corners, I received a 50% cost of living adjustment raise that went away when I was transferred back to Boise. Even after losing my 50% Cost of Living Allowance moving back to Boise again, I still ended up with more disposable income!

Hope this helps!
Jim

Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM

33 posts, read 52,524 times
Born and raised in D.C. and currently live in Fairfax, Va. but I can't wait to move to Boise! Unfortunately, have some time to go before I retire from the school system here. My wife and I go to Boise every year to visit our boys who live out there. I am so tired of the stress, traffic and high cost of living here in the D.C. area.

I really fell in love with Idaho the first time I went there and is all I think about. Anyway, hoping the cost of living does not get crazy high out there in the next 10 years. I am amazed at the amount of construction there in the last few years. Hoping to live in either Meridian or Eagle.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM

704 posts, read 631,240 times
Here is a link to the Boise Valley Economic Partnership website's data on our workforce: Boise Valley Workforce - Skilled, Highly Trained Labor Force | Boise Valley Facts | Boise Valley Economic Partnership

We have used the same vet clinic for our dogs. Mountain View Animal Hospital: Mountain View Animal Hospital, 3435 N. Cole Rd., Boise, ID 83704, 208-375-0251
Most of the original people we loved have moved on over the years but out of habit we have stayed.

One of their Vet's that moved on that we loved is Dr. Valerie Urick who is now at Ada Vetinary Hospital. Ada Veterinary Hospital - Pet Hospital | Boise, ID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or