Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM

23 posts, read 27,245 times

Advertisements

It's a diesel. Several friends have recommended 5N to Weed, then Klamath Falls to Spokane. Having never made that drive, I'm a little leery. The route you described seems simpler. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 AM

20 posts, read 51,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
Karen951,

Congratulations on closing escrow and becoming another member of the growing contingent of ex 951ers!

Where did you end up buying your new home in?

My wife (Helen) and I relocated to Eagle from Murrieta a little over a year ago after living in Murrieta for 14 years.

Again, welcome to the Gem State.

Best regards,

Jeff

P.S. California in the rear view mirror is a wonderful site!
We're planning a move from Irvine, CA to Eagle end of July. Our good friends and neighbors are moving there also.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:18 AM

122 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennx View Post
We're planning a move from Irvine, CA to Eagle end of July. Our good friends and neighbors are moving there also.
Welcome dennx,

It will be a bit hotter than Irvine when you move in, but the nights cool off well and you are pretty close to the Boise River at the Preserve which also helps. Eagle Island State Park is just down the street from you off of Linder and is a really neat place to spend a day in the outdoors.

The Preserve looks like a very nice neighborhood to be moving into. We are familiar with it because our kids/grandkids are moving up here in August or September and we have been doing some scouting for them of possible subdivision choices near us. We live a little south and east of you along the river at Mace Ranch.

If you have not made your moving arrangements yet, look into ABF Freight for quotes, for they seem to have the best rates to ship your household items from California. At least they did when we made the move.

Best regards and safe travels to your new home,

JR

Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
I wonder what percentage of Eagle/Star residents are from California.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTONSC View Post
Welcome dennx,

It will be a bit hotter than Irvine when you move in, but the nights cool off well and you are pretty close to the Boise River at the Preserve which also helps. Eagle Island State Park is just down the street from you off of Linder and is a really neat place to spend a day in the outdoors.

The Preserve looks like a very nice neighborhood to be moving into. We are familiar with it because our kids/grandkids are moving up here in August or September and we have been doing some scouting for them of possible subdivision choices near us. We live a little south and east of you along the river at Mace Ranch.

If you have not made your moving arrangements yet, look into ABF Freight for quotes, for they seem to have the best rates to ship your household items from California. At least they did when we made the move.

Best regards and safe travels to your new home,

JR
Thanks for the warm welcome and info. I did look into ABF and they have a upack and they drive service that sounds perfect for our needs. We're all looking forward to it, hot weather or not.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
I wonder what percentage of Eagle/Star residents are from California.
I do know my next door neighbor to be is from San Diego. I bet there's a lot of us in Eagle.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,180 times
Making the trip from Long Beach to Boise on June 18th. I plan on taking the I-15 through Las Vegas then on Route 93 through Alamo, Ely, Wells, Jackpot, and Twin Falls, then west on the 84 to Boise. I will be driving a 20' U-Haul and towing my car. Can some one recommend a hotel in Ely where I will be able to easily park?

Thanks, Eric

Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Ely has several hotels, but few of the big major chains, except perhaps a Ramada, and a LaQuinta. I don't believe any of the hotels are newer. However, on this route (US 93), Ely is a major stop. Past there, you have to drive another 170 miles to get to Wells.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
While I understand the OP has already traveled, for those making the same trip there are indeed options as you can see from any map. However, what the maps don't tell you is that US 93 through Nevada is a mostly two-lane highway, (with occasional passing lanes), and while the speed limit is a quite liberal 70, it still is a two-lane highway with many slower areas. The inclines here are not huge, though there is some quite evident elevation change. My advice would be to stick to the Interstates, where the limit is 80 and the roads are smooth and fast.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 06-10-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
While I understand the OP has already traveled, for those making the same trip there are indeed options as you can see from any map. However, what the maps don't tell you is that US 93 through Nevada is a mostly two-lane highway, (with occasional passing lanes), and while the speed limit is a quite liberal 70, it still is a two-lane highway with many slower areas. The inclines here are not huge, though there is some quite evident elevation change. My advice would be to stick to the Interstates, where the limit is 80 and the roads are smooth and fast.
What slower areas? The few towns you do pass through that will slow you down pass by in a blink of an eye.

Outside of Vegas, you have Alamo, Lund, Ely, McGill, Wells, and Jackpot. Only in Ely do you actually slow down for more than 2 minutes of driving; the rest you pass through in no time at all.

Twin Falls you skirt, going from 93 to Poleline (past Target and Costco), and then straight to the interstate.

If you drive the interstate, you'll dealing with SLC metro traffic from Provo to Ogden. That's a solid hour of congested metro driving; even if you don't slow down here (you will) it's still an hour longer going this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area