Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 07:25 PM

160 posts, read 251,076 times

Advertisements

I moved here in 1991 from Wenatchee, WA, where winters are a little more harsh and studded snow tires are needed most winters to just get around town - never mind longer trips. After 2-3 years of never needing the studded tires on either of our ordinary 2WD passenger cars around Boise and nearby - not once - my husband replaced them with soft rubber snow tires without studs. Then after listening to me gripe for another 2-3 years about the loud hum the studless snow tires made at speeds above 35mph - on Boise's usually bare-and-dry or bare-and-wet winter roads - I threatened to divorce him if he ever put them back on. I haven't used snow tires since, though I have so-called all-weather tires on my car now.

I have never chained up in my winter travels throughout the greater Treasure Valley, though I do have chains and other emergency supplies in my car. If you are a snow skier you'll want some proper snow tires, and chains if needed, to travel to our nearby ski slopes. Your needs will depend on the distance of your commute to work, and where you like to go "play." I've never lived farther than 3 miles away from the state Capitol building all these years, and for me, any sort of snow tires are a waste of money.

If you've never driven on ice, plan to visit a big parking lot somewhere when it's icy to practice. The best lesson you'll ever learn on the icy parking lot is to never follow too close behind a car, then pray that the guy behind you has learned the same lesson.

Now that I'm retired I have the luxury of not driving my car on bad-road days in the winter - I stay at home. So, unless you're retired too, eat your heart out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 PM

18 posts, read 29,619 times
Thank you everyone. Very helpful information.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 PM

424 posts, read 575,409 times
The Accord is a front wheel drive car. You will have no problem as long as you drive smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area