Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:30 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

What happened to the days when a city maintained the commons and city parks?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM

160 posts, read 252,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
What happened to the days when a city maintained the commons and city parks?
Nothing - they still do. They collect money from taxpayers (similar to HOA dues), and they use it to maintain city/public property and amenities - and like HOAs, they impose a myriad of rules and regulations taxpayers must comply with.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Yeah the HOA can generally put a lien on your home whether you own it outright or not. There's actually been some legislation passed in the last year or two in Idaho because HOA's have become such a big problem.
I wonder if legislation will be passed any time soon to prevent city governments from putting a lien on your house for not paying your property tax? Property taxes (like dues) that fund various services that the city provides, like parks, the greenbelt, public swimming pools, the zoo, museums. Or maybe some legislation to keep city government from levying a fine or even tossing folks in jail for not complying with the city's rules regarding the use of these amenities?

Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
I wonder if legislation will be passed any time soon to prevent city governments from putting a lien on your house for not paying your property tax? Property taxes (like dues) that fund various services that the city provides, like parks, the greenbelt, public swimming pools, the zoo, museums. Or maybe some legislation to keep city government from levying a fine or even tossing folks in jail for not complying with the city's rules regarding the use of these amenities?
The legislation restricted what HOAs could do with fines and had some requirements about spelling the specific fines out in the CC&Rs versus just unilaterally leveling them on homeowners. To my knowledge it did not restrict the ability of an HOA to lien a home for non-payment. I went to a CLE shortly after the legislation was passed that reviewed the legislative session that had just concluded (maybe 2014?) and the comment from the legislator who spoke on the bill was that they would start with this and see how it worked, and if it didn't curb the abuses sufficiently they would come down harder in a future session. I haven't followed whether there have been any discussions on going further with the legislation since. Happily it doesn't have any impact on my particular situation.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
The legislation restricted what HOAs could do with fines and had some requirements about spelling the specific fines out in the CC&Rs versus just unilaterally leveling them on homeowners.
I am familiar with the legislation and agree with it. If you are going to fine me, tell me up front how much it will be - just like the city. Personally I have mixed feelings about HOA governance, but agree with mortgageboss. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
If you don't want to live with an HOA, you don't buy a home with a HOA, its really simple.

As for HOA boards being difficult, it depends on the HOA and who you elect to serve on the board. Don't like them? Then offer to serve and change things.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:20 PM

256 posts, read 452,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
If you don't want to live with an HOA, you don't buy a home with a HOA, its really simple.

This will limit the number of homes for you, but if its that important, you need to be adamant about that when searching.

If you want the nice, newer, homes in a subdivision with parks, common areas, a pool, clubhouse, etc, that most likely means an HOA.

My subdivisions doesn't have a pool, clubhouse, fitness center or anything like that, so my dues are very reasonable, under $400 per year. We do have a lot of very nice common areas and several parks and that takes some money. I have seen the HOA dues of $500 per quarter in the ones with all the fluff and stuff.

As for HOA boards being difficult, it depends on the HOA and who you elect to serve on the board. Don't like them? Then offer to serve and change things.

Anyway, I hope that helps.
Yes, that does help. We're 50/50 on HOA. We've always lived in the sticks and my wife is actually liking the subdivision idea with a nice park and play ground for the kiddos, etc.

Personally, I'd rather be in the mountains. However even some of those have HOA.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:24 PM

447 posts, read 651,799 times
i grew up without an hoa and i plan to die without an hoa. I get not wanting neighbhors with cars jacked up and overgrown lawns. When ive lived with such situations i've offered to help with the lawn work and car though because someitmes folks are just overwhelmed. more importantly i want the freedom to not be hounded about where i park things or what i work on and when which is why i have always liked having an acre or more to hide out on away from the lil nazis that run the hoa and harass the fools who move into them

Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 PM

256 posts, read 452,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
i grew up without an hoa and i plan to die without an hoa. I get not wanting neighbhors with cars jacked up and overgrown lawns. When ive lived with such situations i've offered to help with the lawn work and car though because someitmes folks are just overwhelmed. more importantly i want the freedom to not be hounded about where i park things or what i work on and when which is why i have always liked having an acre or more to hide out on away from the lil nazis that run the hoa and harass the fools who move into them
That is what we're worried about. I like to build with wood, and weld fun stuff together. My yard is not a clutter and everything is organized or has a purpose.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 17,217 times
HOA's have become a trend in order to protect your investment when you buy a home. I suspect that municipalities also like them because it relieves them of providing some services. We own property in an HOA because any neighborhood where we were looking that did not have one was trashy.
Whether HOA's are good or bad depends on what you want and what they want, so buy in a neighborhood that fits you. To see what kind of an HOA is there, ask for the Minutes of the last few meetings, that will give you a good idea of what is going on. Be one of the few people that actually reads that copy of the CC&R's & Bylaws that you are given, BEFORE you agree to them by purchasing the property.
In general, if I was buying in even a semi-rural area with 2+ acres, I would probably not want an HOA, because I am sort of a junk collector. However, when purchasing in a community of under an acre, with very close neighbors, I want an HOA because I don't want to live next to a junk collector. Not because I mind junk collectors (I am one), but because it can hurt the value of my investment.
Best advice, due diligence before you buy to see if it is the sort of neighborhood that is right for you.
If you do buy in an HOA, be prepared to serve on the HOA board. The best way to prevent "Nazis" from taking over the board is to be on the board, unless of course, you are a Nazi, in which case you should keep to yourself.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
i have always liked having an acre or more to hide out on away from the lil nazis
Indeed, it's nice that everyone has a choice about where they live. That's why gawd invented the boondocks; it's a place for some folks who don't fit well into society, like the Unabomber, can live in their own little world and anonymously criticize everyone else who doesn't think or live the way they do. They don't even need to be literate - all they need is Internet service and a computer.

Last edited by T M H; 10-17-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: