Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post

I was searching for "23 things you should know before moving to Boise" and one was "Boise people don't care much for Californians".
I say this myth is not true. The only place I have ever seen the topic brought up is this sometimes anti growth forum called "City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area"

I've never once heard it talked about when I've been out and about in Boise. It would be somewhat strange for this to be the mindset here because so many people who've moved here are from California. Some of those Cali transplants are probably Idahoan's who moved there and moved back to ID.

It is silliness, just like the myth that all there is to Idaho are potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
My friends (both retired) spent the majority of their life in Washington state. They worked hard, managed their money wisely, and their home was paid off before they retired here to Boise. Their property in Washington appreciated over the years (along with their savings account that they fed regularly), and when they moved here they were "easily able to purchase a good home in the Treasure Valley ... and pay cash. Seriously, isn't that the American dream? - to achieve success and prosperity through hard work, determination, and initiative?

Are they resented for pricing out many locals struggling to keep up? Or are they somehow exempt from this so-called resentment because they didn't come here from California?

My late husband and I moved here from Washington state in 1991, and we were "equity immigrants" too. We invested that equity in a home we built in the foothills. But we also invested in the state/community by buying goods and services, paying taxes, and giving back through volunteerism and charitable donations. Were we guilty of pricing out the struggling locals? . . . driving up housing costs? Nobody has ever expressed their resentment of the equity I brought to Idaho from Washington.

I live across the street from life-long Idahoans/locals who, by no stretch of the imagination, show any signs of a struggle. They used the home equity they built up over their years in Idaho to buy the lovely home they live in right now without ever crossing a state line. Why aren't these traitors guilty of pricing out their fellow/struggling locals?

I think there are a fair number of struggling locals who are jealous of those who have more than them - the classic tale of the "haves" vs. the "have-nots" - whether the "haves" are from here, California, or anywhere else. The myth about "Boise folks" not liking Californians is just that - a myth. Balderdash.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:33 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
It use to be true until the Californians took over the state. Now Idaho is starting to become more liberal, expensive, higher taxes, anti-gun, police state, more demands for bloated social programs just like the failed police state of California they came from.

I'm probably headed back to Washington state for work and going to fight the good fight over there, because the big corporate infrastructure of Washington coupled with a sizable military population and very conservative Eastern half of the state means that there is more of a resistance to the onslaught of Californian/New York/New Jersey liberalism infesting the Northwest.

In the 80s and 90s if you had California plates in Oregon they would cut your tires in the smaller towns.. People generally would remove their plates ASAP on moving to smaller towns or suburbs. Today half the people are from California, so obviously "safety in numbers".

I was just at Trader Joes in Boise a week ago and this Californian guy started mouthing off out loud for the whole store to hear, how they need to ban semi auto rifles and how Idaho is crazy for all these insane gun laws.. He said people carrying guns makes it impossible for police to do their job now. More complete BS and ludicrous theories from the "Califascists". That is the term I use to refer to Californian fascists who decide to spread their influence around the country. I told him please go back to that craphole you came from with all its gun laws to protect you so that no scary gun toting Idaho person would end up murdering him. After all, California is completely safe from gun crime since it has the strictest gun laws in the nation.
Took a family trip to Coeur d'Alene back in the 90's. Woke up one morning to smashed windows on our suburban, and "Go Home" carved into the hood. Local police said it was due to our CA plates.

Never been back...

Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM

88 posts, read 130,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Took a family trip to Coeur d'Alene back in the 90's. Woke up one morning to smashed windows on our suburban, and "Go Home" carved into the hood. Local police said it was due to our CA plates.

Never been back...
This saddens me. It takes a special kind of person who is so angry about license plates that they will resort to vandalism.

I believe that most Idahoans are NOT like that. I believe that most PEOPLE are not like that.

I have to believe that.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:12 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

Never been back...
Not surprised at all. CDA and surrounding area is home/haven to many conservative preppers. To them CA=liberal.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:04 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedology View Post
This saddens me. It takes a special kind of person who is so angry about license plates that they will resort to vandalism.

I believe that most Idahoans are NOT like that. I believe that most PEOPLE are not like that.

I have to believe that.
This was a phenomenon in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and probably in smaller Washington towns too (although Western Washington always had more outsiders) back in the 90s.

Today, with half the population from California, you would have to go to some pretty remote towns to experience that type of vandalism. This is not to say it couldn't happen, but much rarer today. When I was growing up in Oregon in the 90s the US vs THEM mentality was quite strong and anyone from California didn't admit it, liberally. Today, it is really not that prevalent. The small town I grew up, Ashland, Oregon, pretty much has been bought out by wealthy Californians from the Bay Area and they run the show in the town now anyhow. It went from kind of a backwoodsy hippie/farmer/logger town to a rather more yuppie Aspen, CO style resort town. 2000 sq foot homes there are going for over $600,000 and even more depending on which side of the mountain you are on (Siskiyous or Cascades). Bend is another example of this scenario.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 10-31-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
I don't think that is an issue anymore. Mostly because so many people in the Treasure Valley are from CA or have CA ties. I mean just look around at the tshirts and hats being worn. CA this CA that

We stopped through to see family this past Summer-one branch of my family came there in the early 1900's to farm and quite a few live there still.

Ironically several people in my wife's family relocated to Eagle/Boise from CA about 12 years ago-and they love it

They support BSU etc and like Idaho and conservative politics, but also engage in local theater etc-very happy living in the Treasure Valley.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 PM

88 posts, read 130,596 times
Quote:
This was a phenomenon in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and probably in smaller Washington towns too (although Western Washington always had more outsiders) back in the 90s.

Today, with half the population from California, you would have to go to some pretty remote towns to experience that type of vandalism. This is not to say it couldn't happen, but much rarer today. When I was growing up in Oregon in the 90s the US vs THEM mentality was quite strong and anyone from California didn't admit it, liberally. Today, it is really not that prevalent. The small town I grew up, Ashland, Oregon, pretty much has been bought out by wealthy Californians from the Bay Area and they run the show in the town now anyhow. It went from kind of a backwoodsy hippie/farmer/logger town to a rather more yuppie Aspen, CO style resort town. 2000 sq foot homes there are going for over $600,000 and even more depending on which side of the mountain you are on (Siskiyous or Cascades). Bend is another example of this scenario.
Just a quick response - I love Ashland...I went there about 20 years ago and was charmed instantly. I'm sure it's changed a lot, according to what you wrote.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I don't think that is an issue anymore. Mostly because so many people in the Treasure Valley are from CA or have CA ties. I mean just look around at the tshirts and hats being worn. CA this CA that

We stopped through to see family this past Summer-one branch of my family came there in the early 1900's to farm and quite a few live there still.

Ironically several people in my wife's family relocated to Eagle/Boise from CA about 12 years ago-and they love it

They support BSU etc and like Idaho and conservative politics, but also engage in local theater etc-very happy living in the Treasure Valley.

You mean this? I see items from the links below all over town, hats and tshirts with "CA" not so much.

BANANA ink - Idaho apparel and accessories - Home

Home / Wear Boise LLC

208 Clothing & Hats - Outdoor clothing, Bikes & Accessories, Camping and Ski Gear | Idaho Mountain Touring

Boise did recently attract this Californian and the reception has been positive:

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...ment-in-boise/

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...e93314122.html

Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Today half the people are from California
Quote:
Today, with half the population from California
Curious to know if you can provide a source for this vital statistic - maybe a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: