Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

2016 Election Results: Clinton Won Big (In the City of Boise) | Unda' the Rotunda | Boise Weekly

Quote:
Clinton was the favorite candidate in Boise, readily winning most of the city's precincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
And those neighborhoods generally define Boise.

Maybe, but they make up a minority of the population in Ada County, which it to the point.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Maybe, but they make up a minority of the population, which it to the point.
And I am sure that people in the other areas of the city are not all Republicans either.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:51 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
That person who has said he doesn't get out much and dislikes liberals is making it sound like he frequents the coffee counter culture and knows it all about the scene in Portland and Seattle and even Boise. Boise isn't trying to be like anywhere else or proving a point, Boise is Boise, just like Portland is Portland, etc. It is obvious that someone here isn't in touch with Boise and wastes too much time on being cynical.
So you have to resort to personal attacks? Who said I don't get out much? In fact, I have probably seen more of the Pacific NOrthwest, every city, town, village than many others here. As well, I grew up in Oregon and lived over 13-14 years in Portland, 4 years in Seattle and now 2 years in Boise. I think am more qualified than most to share my opinions of the area.

I don't dislike liberals, to be honest, I just dislike fascism and neo-liberalism which seems to revolve around reducing personal freedoms of individuals and increasing the power of the corrupt government bureaucracy. Although, liberals do support some causes I respect, such as environmental protection and legalizing marijuana. So, even, I can be at odds with the right-wing establishment here and there. However, some of these causes now are being seen as favorable by both the left and the right.

I grew up as a pagan/atheistic liberal in Oregon and later in life turned to becoming a more religious (yet open minded) conservative, myself.

The only person being cynical here is you who gets butthurt when anyone says anything contrary to your beloved Boise which you disagree with. That's another thing I hate about liberals is they try to shut up the opposition rather than confront it and reason.

Quote:
That comment about Ada County being one of the most conservative counties in the nation is also an out of touch opinion.
Statistics speak for themselves. Meridian is (if I am correct) the fastest growing city in the United States and the city is one of the most conservative cities in the USA. In fact, I wouldn't be surprise if Meridian eventually grows to be larger than Boise, being its over-sized suburb.

I'm sorry to say, but Trump didn't win because Democrats weren't happy with their candidates, but rather Trump won here very big because he was popular with conservatives and moderates. In fact, almost every Democrat I know would almost want to vomit all over me if I even mentioned Trump's name. I agree that Hillary wasn't popular, but with the utter loathing of Trump, I have a strange feeling they weren't voting for him. If anything, the reverse is true, that many Republicans were sick of the previous Republican candidates and either didn't vote or even voted for the other side.

Quote:
Boise still has a Democratic Mayor and city council and Dems are still repping districts in the city.

This election was a mess, many Dems weren't into Hillary and I know of some who didn't vote for her.
So, in some respects, yes Boise is an island.
Boise is very, very liberal in the city center, which is not uncommon for most sizable cities in the USA. I disagree with your perspective about it's liberal personality. I do believe people in Boise feel a bit threatened being surrounded by the "Red Sea" and always seem to like to poke fun at the governor, the state and all those "evil" suburbs. Just walk into the Flying "M" coffeeshop and see all the liberal propaganda shoved in your face. I have yet to see any coffeeshop in Seattle, even in Capitol Hill, that goes around shoving all this political propaganda in your face. Some coffeeshops are a bit political, but it's not like the theme of the coffeeshop. When I tell people I live in Meridian, some of the have wide eyes asking if any of the rednecks have burned crosses in my lawn yet. It is literally like people down there live in their own strange world. People in downtown Boise (less so when you leave the area) are almost oblivious to the fact they live in Idaho.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM

LOL, I didn't call you out anymore extremely compared to how anyone else has in this thread who replied to your first comment. Did you read the other posts directed towards you on the first page?

And I've lived here much longer than the 2 years you have and I have been involved in the community, so I disagree with your thoughts just as you disagree with mine. You have proven over the years how you are out of touch with the area especially based on your last sentence in the post above this.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 11-10-2016 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
LOL, I didn't call you out anymore extremely compared to how anyone else has in this thread who replied to your first comment. Did you read the other posts directed towards you on the first page?

And I've lived here much longer than the 2 years you have and I have been involved in the community, so I disagree with your thoughts just as you disagree with mine. You have proven over the years how you are out of touch with the area especially based on your last sentence in the post above this.
That is your opinion and can I disagree? I have lived in the Pacific NOrthwest my whole life and have lived in and around all three major cities and think I am qualified to compare the different cities to each other. I'm sorry you think I am not qualified and consider yourself the ultimate authority. I guess if people don't see Boise and Idaho the way you do they are completely out of touch. Or, maybe, you live in your own little bubble and you are out of touch and haven't seen things through my perspective?

I am not going to squabble with you either, but I will stand up for my integrity and we still have freedom of speech in this country and I have the right to share my opinions and they do not have to coincide with what Syringaloid thinks is right or wrong.

Freedom is a beautiful thing buddy! By the way, My screen name means Freedom in my native language.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Statistics speak for themselves. Meridian is (if I am correct) the fastest growing city in the United States and the city is one of the most conservative cities in the USA.
Do you have a link that points to Meridian as one of the most conservative cities in the USA?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:06 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Do you have a link that points to Meridian as one of the most conservative cities in the USA?
I found these statistics:

The 10 Most Conservative and Liberal Cities in America

They're a year old and are based on donations, not votes. Interesting that Portland didn't make the liberal list, nor did Meridian make the conservative list.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
I found these statistics:

The 10 Most Conservative and Liberal Cities in America

They're a year old and are based on donations, not votes. Interesting that Portland didn't make the liberal list, nor did Meridian make the conservative list.
10 towns out of how many??? Seattle didn't make the list, I guess it must not be that liberal of a city, after all

Quote:
DO you have a link that refutes that it is? I am basing my assessment from the fact that I live here. As I speak my neighbor has giant Donald Trump sign in front of his yard, my other neighbor has American flags (gasp!) all over his property and is a former US Marshall and former Special Forces in the military. My neighbors to the right of me are LDS people. I am one of the only guys without a big pickup truck on my block (I know I suck!). OH yeah, any direction I throw a rock, I may accidentally break a church window sooner or later, since they are literally on every corner here. Right down the street from my house is a Christian coffeeshop. I learned it was run by the church after my first visit , seeing all the religious material around, was a first hint and then all people around me were meeting for Bible studies and talking about the L-rd. Ironically, from the outside, it looks just like your typical suburbia mini-mall coffee joint. My chiropractor here in Meridian, who literally saved my life, turns out to be a former military, LDS guy. Really nice guy by the way and pretty conservative and devoted to his LDS religion. We were comparing our fast days, mine being Jewish and his being LDS on one of my visits. Sadly, I had to go in for an adjustment on a fast day due to severe nerve injury I incurred. Since he was my doctor, I had to disclose I was fasting, which led to our interesting, short and friendly conversation.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 11-10-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM

160 posts, read 252,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
10 towns out of how many???

DO you have a link that refutes that it is?
It's a top-ten list, so the answer is TEN cities.

Yes -- the one I posted previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area