Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 04:14 PM

164 posts, read 226,249 times

Advertisements

Moving to the valley next year I am checking out many different companies that I'll be using once I get there. Everything from realtors to home inspectors to lawn care, home repairs, roofers, etc. etc. etc.
I've not had good luck with the Better Business Bureau. I know they recently merged with two other BBBs and it is now the BBB of the Northwest or something. Can anyone tell me their experience with the BBB or if there is another resource that would help us?

Thanks much,

Dart Humeston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,703,560 times
Can't really say about the BBB, but I found that yelp and google reviews are pretty all-inclusive and informative. You have to keep in mind there are always going to people you can't satisfy. Read all the reviews and you'll get a sense of a business and how they treat their customers.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM

164 posts, read 226,249 times
Thanks, appreciate the info.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,866,181 times
Angieslist is a great resource in addition to the BBB.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 AM

813 posts, read 1,054,882 times
My company has been a member of the BBB since I started it five years ago. I wish more people would use it as a resource but many people only do if they have a complaint. This site is pretty useful since people are willing to share their experiences and opinions. If you select a seasoned Realtor, they should be able to offer a lot of advice on anything residential related.

One thing I suggest is if it is a big ticket item, check several references. I have a client that was looking for a mortgage and he went with an online lender out of state based on a 5 star rating from _____.com; yet if you look at other sites, they didn't fare so well which is much closer to the experience he is having. If you are looking for a licensed trade, you can sometimes check the license bureau's to see if they are in good standing. For example, a roofer I know that is highly recommended by some of my peers has had his license revoked, yet they keep referring him because he is a "nice guy".

Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,262,081 times
One time in the pre-internet rating things online era I sent a written report to the BBB about a rental company that stood me up in 100 degree heat after making an appointment with them to view a rental house. The company not only stood me up they ignored my calls and everything. I did nothing wrong so I reported them to the BBB thinking that was the right thing to do. All the BBB did was send me a letter that they didn't notify the company of my complaint and instead they would file my letter 'privately' in their files for future reference. So basically nothing really happened and it was as if I didn't make a report at all. Since then I don't do anything with the BBB in Boise anymore either. lol

Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 AM

679 posts, read 808,540 times
I think the BBB has outlived it original purpose. The idea is good, but in the internet age, social proof has replaced their "rating system."

Nowadays, its more of a professional shake down, ie pay the fee and get a good rating....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: