Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
Sorry. Don't recall what I wrote, but I'll try to do better.
I saw the two posts that volosong is referring to. Basically someone joined this forum to bash a religion.
The main issue is that it's way too easy for any tom, dick or sue to join City-Data to spam or troll the threads.

Current evidence of this problem from the main Idaho page:

The ultra right nationalist

Celebrity deification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:06 PM

100 posts, read 143,617 times
Yep, gotta admit, I have seen some evidence of that in the short time I've been here. I'm on a couple of motorcycle forums and can easily recognize that behavior.

One has a special section, informally called the basement where, if you want to do that sort of thing, your posts will be banished to. Those guys that hang there are relentless.... No place for sissies.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.....

Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 PM

355 posts, read 564,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta_Here View Post
Yep, gotta admit, I have seen some evidence of that in the short time I've been here. I'm on a couple of motorcycle forums and can easily recognize that behavior.

One has a special section, informally called the basement where, if you want to do that sort of thing, your posts will be banished to. Those guys that hang there are relentless.... No place for sissies.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.....
So true, so true. Which motorcycle forums?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 5,769 times
Being someone who is about to relocate to Boise, I particularly appreciate the 'senior member' evals/insights/opinions.
Thank you for your helpfulness and honesty.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 5,769 times
Sounds a lot like the Golden Rule--and I agree 100 per cent.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,937 times
pmurphy5355: I think I had a "senior moment" since I don't recall at what point members change from Jr. Members to Senior Members. I looked at my account to see, and it doesn't show either since mine reflects one of their pre-defined labels based on my profession. I like that since the Idaho Real Estate Commission requires Realtors to identify themselves as such in all their marketing. Even though we are not allowed to directly solicit business on this forum.

There are some great people on this forum. I think it is time we do another get together. I have attended a few City-Data socials and it was good to meet people behind the screen names. That will be another topic post though.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM

32 posts, read 50,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
pmurphy5355: I think I had a "senior moment" since I don't recall at what point members change from Jr. Members to Senior Members. I looked at my account to see, and it doesn't show either since mine reflects one of their pre-defined labels based on my profession. I like that since the Idaho Real Estate Commission requires Realtors to identify themselves as such in all their marketing. Even though we are not allowed to directly solicit business on this forum.

There are some great people on this forum. I think it is time we do another get together. I have attended a few City-Data socials and it was good to meet people behind the screen names. That will be another topic post though.
Way back in the early 2000's one of the local forums I was a member of had get-togethers and it was wonderful to get to know the people I was 'talking' to on a daily basis. I feel it's a great tool for those who have moved to the areas to meet the ones who gave them the advice they needed to make their decision.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM

164 posts, read 227,671 times
Having moved from the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area to Boise in August of 2017, I have to say the people I have met so far are pretty much awesome. If anything, they seem TOO happy and nice, but that is probably because of where I am coming from. In South Florida you judge people by the creativeness of their rudeness. No one is polite. In fact, being polite and nice is a sign of weakness, and in the metropolitan area of Miami-Fort Lauderdale, that can be dangerous. I see plenty of churches of all denominations in Boise and while there are plenty of LDS, I have had no issues with anyone. People seem to allow everyone their own space here, and don't get in your face about anything, Except BSU Broncos of course! LOL.

People here seem really laid back, nice and straightforward. Quite a bit of fresh air from where I come from.

In regards to making friends, the common sense approach seems to hold true here too. Find an activity, a group, a workshop, a church and participate. There are plenty of groups meeting all over the area covering creative writing book clubs, biking, volunteering, you name it. You can find groups at meetup.com, by searching your favorite topics in Boise, or even groups on Craigslist.

All the best.
DH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area