Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I wouldn't say Boise's springs are mild at all.

I do agree with a lot of what Brain Drain says, too.
Oh Anchorless,
Not mild at all sorry, I had to smile over that comment.
It depends on what you consider mild. Usually highs in Boise during April and May are in the 50's and 60's and sometimes the 70's in May, while the start of Spring in March can still see highs in the upper 40's to 50's. Highs in the 50's and 60's are pretty mild.
If you want mild temps in the 70's during Spring then move to the southwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Depends on what you consider mild. Usually highs in Boise during April and May are in the 50's and 60's while the start of Spring in March can still see highs in the upper 40's to 50's. Highs in the 50's and 60's are pretty mild.
Well, you just said springs here are mild, and now you're saying they're mild depending...?

I'm not saying you don't find good weather in the spring - I am saying that our springs are wildly inconsistent, which to me seems the exact opposite of spring.

Hell, it just snowed yesterday (though technically it isn't spring, though you wouldn't be able to tell from the weather we've had in the past month).

From here on out we'll have nice days in the 50's and 60's (which is the temp I prefer anyway), hot days, cold days in the low 30's, windy days, sunny days, rainy days, snowy days.

And inevitably it seems that the crappy days seem to fall on the weekend, whereas the weekdays are usually quite beautiful.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Quote:
CTC, as a mountain boy myself I have to interject and offer some enlightment and education.
Sure, the Boise Mountains, or what you see from Boise aren't the tallest mountains, especially by Idaho standards but I wouldn't call them hills. The Foothills are hilly as they rise to the top of the Boise Ridge which is above Boise and where Bogus Basin and the forests are at, which are easily seen from the city and valley. A lot of people who don't live in Boise or Idaho assume that there is just the ridge above Boise with nothing more behind the ridge. The Boise Ridge hides the taller mountains which are everywhere north, east, and west of Boise, and these higher mountains are pretty close to the city. Boise sits at the lowest depths of a river valley and the further from downtown you travel, towards Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, offers views of the taller mountains which aren't visible from downtown.

The Boise National Forest, which is about 20 minutes from the city is one of the largest in the nation and full of lofty mountains, forests, whitewater rivers, and some of the largest numbers of wildlife near a metro area in the lower 48. A quick drive up Bogus Basin Road or the highways that leave Boise and head into the mountains takes you into a mountain nirvana, one of the most mountainess areas anywhere in the West. I know from personal experience that the forests in Colorado are not as lush or expansive as they are in Idaho and near Boise. They are all beautiful though, Idaho and Colorado have a lot in common with mountain scenery.

I actually had posted this photo link a while back of some pics I took above Boise of the mountains. take a peek. The great thing about living in Boise is of course the beautiful Boise Mountains above the city which change colors with the seasons, and the huge backyard of taller mountains and evergreen forests that Boise can claim.
Sorry for the long post, but I was actually day dreaming of hiking and mountain biking on the Boise Front today, but there is still, thankfully, too much snow which we really need. I just had to leave my opinion about the mountains I look up to everyday of my life
Boise: Both sides of the Mountains, Trees, More Trees, and Forests Galore.
Tohobit,
Yep you are right, but I was just talking about what you can see from town. I used to live in Boise and loved the area around Idaho City, Lowman, Alanta,Yellowpine etc-pretty nice stuff. But I actually prefer the mountain forests in CO, more open and huge aspen groves etc, no clear cuts (now beetle kill however). The original poster would be happy either place I am sure.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM

The snow yesterday was in the mountains, Bogus received some fresh powder. Here in the valley we just received rain, sleet, hail. I am a native of Idaho and am aware of how Springs here operate, we could have snow on the mountains into July, easily.
This is the kind of weather we need right now and I wouldn't mind at all if we have unsettled weather into May. I love rainy Springs and the short lived rainy season during Boise's spring season is fab.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Tohobit,
Yep you are right, but I was just talking about what you can see from town. I used to live in Boise and loved the area around Idaho City, Lowman, Alanta,Yellowpine etc-pretty nice stuff. But I actually prefer the mountain forests in CO, more open and huge aspen groves etc, no clear cuts (now beetle kill however). The original poster would be happy either place I am sure.
Yes, the forests near Boise are mainly evergreen. There are some pretty expansive areas of Aspens in the forests near Sun Valley and in the forests of Eastern Idaho.
I have read in the news that some areas of the forests in Colorado are under attack from beetles. That is a shame, those bugs can create a mess. We have had our problem with them here in Idaho too. A sad note is that a lot of the forests in BC and Alberta are being ruined by the beetles.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
I'm not saying you don't find good weather in the spring - I am saying that our springs are wildly inconsistent, which to me seems the exact opposite of spring.
Why is it the exact opposite? To me, that's what Spring is like in Boise, inconsistent, that's why it's called Spring. I look at it as the weather is trying to stabilize itself to a more consistent pattern of sunny weather.

Quote:
Hell, it just snowed yesterday (though technically it isn't spring, though you wouldn't be able to tell from the weather we've had in the past month).
No it didn't?? Up in the mountains it did, but not in Boise.

Quote:
And inevitably it seems that the crappy days seem to fall on the weekend, whereas the weekdays are usually quite beautiful.
Really? Yesterday was pretty nice, partly cloudy, a little windy but no rain where I was at. Today is beautiful blue sky with a few clouds hanging around absolutely beautiful. My guess is temps will be in low 50's but I haven't seen the forecast for today. Pretty nice weekend weather if you ask me.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Why is it the exact opposite? To me, that's what Spring is like in Boise, inconsistent, that's why it's called Spring. I look at it as the weather is trying to stabilize itself to a more consistent pattern of sunny weather.
I meant to say "mild" instead of "spring."

So it would read that "wildly inconsistent" is the exact opposite of "mild."

Quote:
No it didn't?? Up in the mountains it did, but not in Boise.
Friday evening it snowed on the interstate leaving Boise (towards Mountain Home), and it snowed pretty bad, as I was in it.

Saturday it snowed most of the morning in Southern Idaho, and it snowed so bad on I15 to SLC that they closed the interstate for a few hours around Snowville.

Quote:
Really? Yesterday was pretty nice, partly cloudy, a little windy but no rain where I was at. Today is beautiful blue sky with a few clouds hanging around absolutely beautiful. My guess is temps will be in low 50's but I haven't seen the forecast for today. Pretty nice weekend weather if you ask me.
This just seems to have been the pattern for springs in Boise and Idaho for as long as I can remember. Mostly I'm just grumbling, but I think there's at least some truth to it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The snow yesterday was in the mountains, Bogus received some fresh powder. Here in the valley we just received rain, sleet, hail. I am a native of Idaho and am aware of how Springs here operate, we could have snow on the mountains into July, easily.
This is the kind of weather we need right now and I wouldn't mind at all if we have unsettled weather into May. I love rainy Springs and the short lived rainy season during Boise's spring season is fab.
Agreed - I actually don't mind having rainy springs, and we really do need it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:46 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
Friday evening it snowed on the interstate leaving Boise (towards Mountain Home), and it snowed pretty bad, as I was in it.

Saturday it snowed most of the morning in Southern Idaho, and it snowed so bad on I15 to SLC that they closed the interstate for a few hours around Snowville.
Thanks for the clarification- it seemed like you were implying that we had gotten snow in Boise and that just wasn't the case-

Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Oh Anchorless,
Not mild at all sorry, I had to smile over that comment.
It depends on what you consider mild. Usually highs in Boise during April and May are in the 50's and 60's and sometimes the 70's in May, while the start of Spring in March can still see highs in the upper 40's to 50's. Highs in the 50's and 60's are pretty mild.
You will get 70s in Ft. Collins occasionally in Jan and frequently by March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area