Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 32,603 times

Advertisements

We live in northwest Boise. We got our oldest into soccer and hopefully we can meet some people through it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 11:41 AM

14 posts, read 32,603 times
I personally have meet nothing but nice people here in Boise. Just the people I have come in contact with don't have a lot of the same interests or are much older then I am so friendships haven't evolved

Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
[mod cut, orphaned post]

Boise is pretty darn warm and sunny for how far north it is, so I don't buy the weather argument. People spend more time outside there were I grew up than in Texas where I've lived for 7 years.

Also I don't buy that Idaho is particularly hostile to outsiders. I hear more hate for California's moving in here in Texas than I did growing up in Idaho. You should listen to New Yorkers complain about midwesterners "ruining" their city.

Most of the friends I've made in Dallas are transplants from somewhere. People who are from a place grew up with a group of people and usually have roots. My buddy who is at law school in Tulsa said it is the same way up there, and I believe it.

I wasn't born in Idaho, my parents moved there before my first birthday. Now that they have been there nearly 25 years, it is home to them and they are more than accepted as Idahoans both by born and raised folks and transplants from 5 years ago.

One last though, quickly made friendships are often quickly discarded or broken.

Last edited by volosong; 05-24-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
When I lived in Boise probably 80% of my friends were other non-natives that I met via shared interests. For me it was church, running and other outdoor activities for my kids like Boy Scouts. Plus you live in a part of town where some neighborhoods are heavily LDS as was my subdivision. The neighbors were very nice, always waved and said hello when I went to pick up the mail but never became friends with any of them. My observation is that Boise is probably the friendliest city I have lived in anywhere in the country, but the toughest place to make personal friendships.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 AM

36 posts, read 47,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
We are moving to the Boise area from Florida this summer. July hopefully. I have discovered that there are a lot of people from Florida who have settled in Ada county. What we need is a Floridian Club where we meet once a month for dinner or coffee or something. We can talk about the "old days" back in Hell, er I mean Florida.

Dart Humeston
That would be great as I may end up having to relocate to Boise also. I am in Palm Beach Gardens and LOVE it here. Not thrilled about moving as I too have heard it is extremely difficult to meet people unless you are from CA (I used to live in Palos Verdes, CA) or from OR or WA.

I doubt there are too many people from the east coast. I'm worried that the influx of Californians will make the real estate values stupidly high. That is what happened when the market hit the skids and tons of people from CA moved to the Phoenix, AZ area. (We lived in Scottsdale, AZ)

Please don't assume that I do not like California, I do, but it's gotten old, dirty, expensive in many areas. (I used to also live in Irvine, have a daughter in West Hollywood (Detroit Street area) and a sister still in Santa Cruz. I don't think many people realize it until the move to another state. Everyone I met in California (in the LA area) were absolutely amazing and hopefully I will meet a bunch when (if) I move to Boise.

I don't think people 'mean' to ignore you or not reach out, but many of the folks there may be new too and are just as overwhelmed as you are. I have a feeling that as soon as one of your kids starts school, you will be so busy making friends you will completely forget about meeting up with Floridians! If it's true that the majority of people in the Boise area are not originally from the area, it should be fairly easy to meet people because everyone will be looking for friends!

So yes, let's start a 'meet-up' club to support each other. And if you hated Florida, you are welcome too!

Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,176 times
Default Just move to ID

What types of things do you like to do? We (married couple) just recently moved back to ID (Meridian) and are hoping to make friends with other married couples. We are both extroverts, enjoy board games, dining out, BBQ's, camping and fishing. It is a very friendly place but making friends is difficult at times if the work situation or schedules don't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: