Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 PM

164 posts, read 227,526 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. The same house in South Florida would cost about $300,000. Just cannot afford to live here.

Eager to get out to Boise!
Dart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

148 posts, read 377,033 times
Congrats! The house next door to us went up for sale and was sold within a week. I'm certainly glad we found our house when we did.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 48,666 times
Default Hot market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
we did massive research prior to traveling to boise, checking out neighborhoods, traffic patterns, water, city services, houses, you name it. City-data and many of you were invaluable in assisting us. So, when our southwest 737 touched down july 4th after a torturous 11 hour travel day, i thought we were prepared to buy a house.

We were not.

Despite what many experienced city-data members warned about, we were still surprised at the frenzied house market in ada county.

Houses we had picked out july 4th for our realtor to show us on the 5th were gone. Houses we picked out the morning of our first day of house hunting were gone.

We had to compete with other buyers looking at the house at the same time!

My wife's favorite house, her number one pick, sold, accepted offer, while we were standing in it early in the morning.

We are semi retired and not rich, so were looking for a simple 3/2 house below $193,000. Last summer this would have been easy, as houses were selling much lower than that. But a year later, and the price is insane.

We settled on our second choice, and made an offer as two other offers were already being processed on the same house. Thanks to our realtor's speed and electronic skills, we submitted our offer and then waited. And waited. It was not until dinner when we were with our family eating barbecued salmon that our realtor texted us that we had won the bid!!! A family celebration began.

My guidance to others who have a narrow price point as we did:
1. Get a really good realtor.
2. Fine tune your house hunting to only those that fully meet your requirements.
3. Have your neighborhoods picked out in advance.
4. Bring cash to the table or a locked tight lending option.
5. Be prepared to move lightning fast!

Basically, you won't have time to "explore" or do anything but locate your perfect house and neighborhood lightning fast, and then don't delay in making your offer.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, the information on this forum was truly helpful and amazing!

- dart humeston
congrats on the house you will like it here.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM

131 posts, read 143,782 times
renting is just as bad

Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM

71 posts, read 115,735 times
We are looking to do the same this fall. Any tips on good places to go for the retired? I don't want to be in the city. No kids, we are seniors on set income, $200k is about our limit for a house. What were property taxes on your home? I have been finding that htey are high in so many states now....and that adds to the mortgage payment (when impounded) or another yearly payment if not. Would you suggest sellling house we currently own and then going up and renting till we find something or a few nights in a hotel since they are selling so fast? Are they selling as fast in the outskirts as they are in town?

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM

164 posts, read 227,526 times
Without homestead exemption initially the home taxes are about 2500 but once we apply should be much less. Compared to our taxes in Florida it is less. There are a few 55+ areas but we did not look at them so can't give you info. Compared to south Florida most things are cheaper in Boise.

I think there is something for just about anyone in the Treasure Valley, just have to find the spot you feel comfortable.

We had visited numerous times because of family there so that gave us an opportunity to explore it well before making the decision.

Where are you coming from?

Dart Humeston

Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM

347 posts, read 401,801 times
welcome

Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 PM

71 posts, read 115,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
Without homestead exemption initially the home taxes are about 2500 but once we apply should be much less. Compared to our taxes in Florida it is less. There are a few 55+ areas but we did not look at them so can't give you info. Compared to south Florida most things are cheaper in Boise.

I think there is something for just about anyone in the Treasure Valley, just have to find the spot you feel comfortable.

We had visited numerous times because of family there so that gave us an opportunity to explore it well before making the decision.

Where are you coming from?

Dart Humeston
Thanks for th info I didnt' know Idaho had the Homestead Exemption. I knew it wasin Texas. I will keep that in mind. Every little bit helps! I am coming from California...please don't hold that against me... I am NOT one of "them"!!! I want out of here so bad and to be around normal people so bad!!!

Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM

215 posts, read 258,481 times
Default Homeowners Tax Exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreakwhatever View Post
Thanks for th info I didnt' know Idaho had the Homestead Exemption. I knew it wasin Texas. I will keep that in mind. Every little bit helps! I am coming from California...please don't hold that against me... I am NOT one of "them"!!! I want out of here so bad and to be around normal people so bad!!!
The homeowners property tax exemption here in Idaho is $100,000 compared to the $7,000 in CA. The amount is adjusted annually.

HR

Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 AM

131 posts, read 143,782 times
we just bought in meridian we had an afternoon is all prior to that we looked online and scheduled and things were gone when we went to see in person so we had to jump on a house the day we looked we saw about a half dozen we could have bought in nampa/caldwell where it is cheaper but still hotter than it has been but worried about quality of the area vs meridian and boise (meridian and eagle are the best imo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area