Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 4,617 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been reading this forum for several months, and have learned so much. Thank you, all!

I plan to relocate to the Boise area next summer. I am a teacher, and will be applying for teaching positions in the Boise and West Ada school districts. Are any of you teachers in either of those districts? If so, I'd love to know more about the districts, and whether the demand for teachers is strong at this time. With all of the population growth in the area, I'm thinking it must be. I have heard that 1000 new students enter the districts each year. That's amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:49 PM

213 posts, read 339,739 times
I'm married to a teacher, does that count?

It's still a very strong "good ol' boys" system. My husband has tried to apply for higher levels several times now and only received one interview in 2 years (guessing out of 8ish applications?) Didn't get the job, even though the interview went quite well.

It took us 5 months of applying to every qualifying position in the entire state of Idaho to land his current job. Surprisingly, he was able to get a job 20 minutes from the apartment we were already living in (using our savings); it was nice not having to move just yet.

It doesn't matter how many students are being added every year, there just aren't enough schools to support it all. I think you will have better luck if you teach math or science, and you apply to academies and "side" schools. Try to get in the substitute system if you can, that's what my husband did at first.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 AM

Thanks for your response. That is kind of discouraging. As the sole provider in my family, we can't move unless I can secure employment.

I'm glad your husband has found work.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 PM

Well, my husband is the sole provider too. He graduated and didn't have a job line up, so we took the chance to move where we really wanted to be: Idaho. Yes, it was a gamble, but it would have been a gamble anywhere else too.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 AM

I think that's the advantage to making a move when you're young and just starting out.

My situation is different. I've been teaching for 20+ years, was widowed a few years ago, and have a little girl to raise on my own. California has changed dramatically since I was a child, and I do not think it's the best place to finish raising my little one.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Oh no, we weren't newly starting out at all, 10 years married at that point and just had our 3rd child. My husband already worked for a high school in Arizona for 8 years, and then another 1.5 years in college (teaching and assisting). I can have a pretty high risk tolerance to things that I think are a good idea.

One thing I would look into is how easily can you transfer your certification from California to whatever state you want to move to. My husband's Arizona certification would transfer to Idaho (and several other states), but not to California, Oregon, or Washington.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 PM

29,179 posts, read 22,184,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodarbal View Post
I think that's the advantage to making a move when you're young and just starting out.

My situation is different. I've been teaching for 20+ years, was widowed a few years ago, and have a little girl to raise on my own. California has changed dramatically since I was a child, and I do not think it's the best place to finish raising my little one.
Spread your choices out as far as you can. Finding a teaching job in Boise might be harder than finding a job in Pocatello, or Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, or one of the smaller towns and the rural school districts. Some school districts here support their schools more than others, and the districts are all very locally funded and controlled.

I only mentioned other places in the south because you're looking at Boise, but if you really want to move here, it may pay to check out the N. Idaho cities, too.
Idaho is essentially divided between north and south by mountains. This is part of the reason why there's so much local control here and relatively little state control of the education system.

While it's very true that life in Boise is different than in these other S. Idaho towns, it's not radically different. All of Idaho is still very similarly Idahoan. The prevailing attitudes and ways of life in Boise really don't differ very much from the rest of the state.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
rodarbal,
A quick internet search pulls up job openings in the Boise Independent School District and the West Ada School District.

This ranking of Idaho districts may be of interest to you.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ricts/s/idaho/

Boise also has nationally ranked high schools in addition to other areas of Idaho.

https://www.idahoednews.org/kevins-b...-high-schools/

I bet the Boise area, including satellite cities will have the best opportunities in the state because of population base and the number of schools.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 PM

banjomike, thank you for your input. We have friends in the Boise area, and so would choose to live there for the fellowship and support of our friends.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
rodarbal,
A quick internet search pulls up job openings in the Boise Independent School District and the West Ada School District.

This ranking of Idaho districts may be of interest to you.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ricts/s/idaho/

Boise also has nationally ranked high schools in addition to other areas of Idaho.

https://www.idahoednews.org/kevins-b...-high-schools/

I bet the Boise area, including satellite cities will have the best opportunities in the state because of population base and the number of schools.
Theoretically, I must agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area