Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 3,816 times

Advertisements

Hi,
after 2 years in Boise, I am returning to the UK, but want to spend time in Jax, Fl to see friends prior to my departure. We had a dreadful winter here last year and there is talk of it being the same this year. Can anyone give me suggestions of the best and safest route to take as I will be leaving for Jax in March or April 2018. As I will be driving alone, the thought of I84 seems a little daunting!
I was on a deadline when I came here so we drove solidly for 5 days, but suggestions of things worth seeing, to break up the journey on the way back would again be welcome.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:17 AM

133 posts, read 288,363 times
The worry will be Wyoming. I would take the southern route, from Provo to Grand Junction, then off to Nebraska and Missouri. The mountains between Idaho and Utah should be okay by March. I drive that route all the time. It is only scary up to February.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:05 AM

48 posts, read 66,662 times
I agree with the above comment. We drove here from Orlando, FL, took us 4 1/2 days. Wyoming was the border state to drive through. My coworkers drove south and they moved it!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 AM

507 posts, read 656,261 times
If you are trying to avoid the late winter/spring snow, you might consider going further south
on the way to Florida. I-84/I-15 to Spanish Fork, then Hwy 6 to I-70. Then take Hwy 191 thru
Moab (which could be an overnight stopover) and down past Canyon De Chelly (worth a stop if you haven't been there). At Ganado AZ, go across thru Window Rock to Gallup NM, and pick
up I-40 (better weather than I-70, less trucks than I-80) which you can take all the way across thru Amarillo to Memphis, and catch I-22 southeast to Birmingham and then angle on down to
Jacksonville.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 AM

813 posts, read 1,054,882 times
I have always just flown from Boise to Florida, but if I was doing the trip alone, I would probably fly to an Amtrak station, maybe Salt Lake, and let them take me there if I wanted to see the countryside.

However, if you drive, I would take time to enjoy it stopping at Yellowstone along the way, then check out the museums about American Indian History in Cheyenne, check out the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, have a Coke and a smile in Atlanta and continue on to Jacksonville.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 PM

100 posts, read 142,513 times
If you really want to see the country, stay off the Interstate!!! You can drive clear across the US on the interstate and never see a single thing. Every off ramp is the same, same gas stations, same chain restaurants, same chain hotels.

Take any highway that doesn't start with I. You will get the real flavor of the area you are passing through. Locally owned cafes with actual locals in them, generally very good home made food from that particular region.

I have ridden motorcycles over much of the US this way. Not the fastest way to travel but if you want to really see and experience the country, this is way to do it.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Default South route

Quote:
Originally Posted by palangga View Post
The worry will be Wyoming. I would take the southern route, from Provo to Grand Junction, then off to Nebraska and Missouri. The mountains between Idaho and Utah should be okay by March. I drive that route all the time. It is only scary up to February.
Thank you Palangga. Someone did suggest going via UT, and possibly seeing some of the National Parks on the way, though not sure how they would look in the winter! Makes me feel better knowing you do the trip all the time. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the info - I've made a note of it. K

Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglewings1 View Post
I agree with the above comment. We drove here from Orlando, FL, took us 4 1/2 days. Wyoming was the border state to drive through. My coworkers drove south and they moved it!
Looks like south will be the way to go then K

Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Will check my map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
If you are trying to avoid the late winter/spring snow, you might consider going further south
on the way to Florida. I-84/I-15 to Spanish Fork, then Hwy 6 to I-70. Then take Hwy 191 thru
Moab (which could be an overnight stopover) and down past Canyon De Chelly (worth a stop if you haven't been there). At Ganado AZ, go across thru Window Rock to Gallup NM, and pick
up I-40 (better weather than I-70, less trucks than I-80) which you can take all the way across thru Amarillo to Memphis, and catch I-22 southeast to Birmingham and then angle on down to
Jacksonville.
Wow, not heard of most of those places so will happily look at the map so I can picture it Have heard of Moab, but appreciate the other suggestions. I did once drive from Birmingham to Jax, and remember it being not bad. AZ and NM sound much warmer to drive through than the northern states which was the way I came. Thanks so much for your help! K

Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 PM

[quote=IdahoBroker;49467908
.....However, if you drive, I would take time to enjoy it stopping at Yellowstone along the way, then check out the museums about American Indian History in Cheyenne, check out the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville, have a Coke and a smile in Atlanta and continue on to Jacksonville.[/quote]

Thanks IdahoBroker. I was lucky enough to go to Yellowstone last Sept, still reeling from what I saw - so much beauty. I will certainly look up more info on the other places you mention. Wish I could go by train, I'm a real train buff! Thanks! K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area