Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,420 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (34 and 38) are looking to relocate our young family from the suburbs of Seattle to Eagle. We are both in the school system currently, and have some prospects in the Caldwell area. BUT I dont want to like in Caldwell, I like the look and feel more of Eagle. It seems to be more convenient for a young family, with more to do and less crime. Anyway, we are wondering what the commute is like. Currently, we dont even have to get on the freeway to get to work. We each have about a ten minute drive, which is very nice and convenient, but we realize not reasonable if we want to live in Eagle and possibly work in Caldwell. What is it like in the summer? What is it like in the winter? What is road construction like? Is it necessary to take the freeway, or are there back roads? thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:25 PM

Is there anyone who can fill me in with some info?????

Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Welcome to the Idaho Forum, and C-D. Somebody will probably help you out with information, but we're all just members, private citizens checking in when we have a few free moments in our (frequently) busy lives, just because we feel like it. The Idaho Forum is friendly and active, but it doesn't have a ton of members. We're spread out all over the state and even in other states, so please be patient, and give it some time. Check back once a day and see if you've got a response. You can also subscribe to the forum, and receive notifications when there are new posts. In the meantime you can use the "Search" function and check out what has been said about Caldwell and Eagle, and you can check out summer and winter temperatures in the City-Data Forum Homepage here: http://www.city-data.com/

Best of luck!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 AM

169 posts, read 198,684 times
Hi there,
Trying posting in the Boise subforum because these are both communities in the Treasure Valley.
I have literally never heard anything f anyone with the commute you are proposing becuse both are sort of bedroom communities with the schools as the major employer. Eagle is one of the more expensive places to buy a house so probably not a lot of people working for Caldwell schools can afford homes there. The commute should be fine. Treasure valley is not too trafficky all around. Note that your dollar goes a lot further in canyon county and houses in Caldwell cost maybe 1/4 of what they do in Eagle. If you find jobs you like, explore all the Treasure Valley as possible residential locations and don’t get to fixated ahead on any one town, is my best advice.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt21 View Post
Is there anyone who can fill me in with some info?????
I cant. I've never been there.

However, if no one here knows, you could always Google the distance and the state of Idaho keeps road cams on all highways, so you can check the road conditions every day. Snow is well cleared on the highways but still you have to slow down when it is snowing or foggy.

You can even Google maps to plot a course. If you know how far and what the roads are looking like, you should be able to figure out commute times.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt21 View Post
My husband and I (34 and 38) are looking to relocate our young family from the suburbs of Seattle to Eagle. We are both in the school system currently, and have some prospects in the Caldwell area. BUT I dont want to like in Caldwell, I like the look and feel more of Eagle. It seems to be more convenient for a young family, with more to do and less crime. Anyway, we are wondering what the commute is like. Currently, we dont even have to get on the freeway to get to work. We each have about a ten minute drive, which is very nice and convenient, but we realize not reasonable if we want to live in Eagle and possibly work in Caldwell. What is it like in the summer? What is it like in the winter? What is road construction like? Is it necessary to take the freeway, or are there back roads? thanks in advance!!!
You do not need to drive on the Interstate to commute between Eagle and Caldwell. You could either use State Street (Highway 44) or Chinden Blvd (Highway 20/26). Bing Maps shows the distance at approximately 20 miles which is around a half hour without traffic issues.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=eagle%...261B43FC3DC462

Summer=no worries of snow. Winter=occasional snow. Road Construction=is a constant in the Treasure Valley because of the growth but that does not mean that your route would necessarily have construction. A new extension of Highway 16/Central Valley Expressway crossing the Boise River between State Street and Chinden Blvd was completed back in 2014 which is important since there aren't very many river crossings in the west valley.

https://www.mymeridianpress.com/news...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by Syringaloid; 02-28-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 AM

355 posts, read 564,982 times
I don't have any specific address, of course, but according to WAZE, the commute time if I left right now (just past 9:30am) shows 30 minutes for 19 miles.

If you have a specific address where you'd work, and I can pull it up on WAZE a few times to give you an idea.

I live near the Eagle Rd./Floating Feather intersection in Eagle.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 AM

347 posts, read 402,330 times
it's a decently long commute (in miles) and you will have some fun driving that route in the winter.

what's wrong with caldwell?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:54 PM

Thank you everyone! Im sorry to have sounded impatient. I was under the impression this worked like other forums I am a part of for various reasons with lots and lots of traffic and posts each day. I really appreciate all of your information. We are just starting the process of looking into the Boise area and will be visiting in April during our Spring Break to see what areas we like. I am a nurse and my husband is a teacher. We currently work for the same district, which so happens to be one of the highest paid districts in the area. Together we make well over $100,000 a year....but we live in a very expensive part of town (renting) currently and just want a more simple, slowed down, family friendly atmosphere. We have heard that Boise district is independent and pays better than any other district in the State. As a nurse, i am not sure what I want to do when we move, so my options are wide open. We have two small boys (3 and 1.5) so I would like to have more time with them if I can. Again, thank you all so much!!!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
Don't do it if you value your time. As a family and jobs demand your time, you'll spend way too much time in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area