Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:42 PM

232 posts, read 565,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debruss View Post
We will be visiting Boise at the beginning of April. We have never been, but Boise checks off many things we are looking for in retirement (except my friends that we will be leaving!): seasons, less people & traffic than So CA, airport, good medical, lakes close by.

What are things we must see to get a feel for the area? I have just started doing some research & have come up with the river walk and "First Thursday" in downtown so far. We have a boat, so we will check out the local boating reservoirs! How is the boating there?

Will try to get a feel for the housing there, just to see what our money can buy. Will be looking for 1-story with an association with a clubhouse (for pool & exercise room/activities). Would prefer a newer house (maybe 2000+). AND maybe homes that aren't so close to each other.

Any information/ideas would be welcome!

Debby

We spent four weeks out here checking out the area all round. If you do go looking at some houses on the market, there is one thing that made a big difference for us. Once you find a few places you like, go back to look at it in late afternoon during the week. The differences between mid-day in mid-week and rush hour can be significant. We stayed at the Boise Guest House near the capitol building because it is made up of several small apartments. We had to do all the shopping and other things that would be done when actually living here. That also helped us get the "feel" of the area. Even though I was 18 months from retiring, that visit convinced us that the Boise area was where we wanted to live. We ended up in Nampa in 2011 and couldn't be happier.

//Late note! Sorry, I misread the date on your post and didn't realize you had already been to visit. Hope you had a good visit to the area. //
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
We spent four weeks out here checking out the area all round. If you do go looking at some houses on the market, there is one thing that made a big difference for us. Once you find a few places you like, go back to look at it in late afternoon during the week. The differences between mid-day in mid-week and rush hour can be significant. We stayed at the Boise Guest House near the capitol building because it is made up of several small apartments. We had to do all the shopping and other things that would be done when actually living here. That also helped us get the "feel" of the area. Even though I was 18 months from retiring, that visit convinced us that the Boise area was where we wanted to live. We ended up in Nampa in 2011 and couldn't be happier.

//Late note! Sorry, I misread the date on your post and didn't realize you had already been to visit. Hope you had a good visit to the area. //
Always a good idea to visit areas of interest first. Like go on a vacation to area of interest. Visit times like during commute hour, evenings, weekends etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: