Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

I've been playing the game with a few realtors in a few different cities around the state and am frustrated. I know what we want, and what we don't want. I just need to be able to get to the rules easily!
We want dogs, and a greehouse, with a little land. But, we want some common sense stuff paid for like road clearing, and simple stuff like not to park a dozen cars in the front yard.

Seems like some newer housing neighborhoods are out of their minds with rules, while the more normal ones are just hard to locate. Is there any way I can do the searching on my own? Any tips help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 AM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
On your own? Probably not. With some of the HOA's the escrow companies have copies of the rules on file, but I doubt they will hand them out to anyone who just walks in off the street to ask. Your agent should be able to order you a copy.

Of course, the president of the HOA should be able to give you a copy, but how are you going to know who that is?

Those documents are all recorded with the state so maybe if you walk into the local county recorder, they could find you a copy. They tend to charge by the sheet and HOA rules tend to be lengthy.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 AM

369 posts, read 321,365 times
Here in Co. you can obtain copies at the local county courthouse.
Jim

Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 6,475 times
For some reason it's like pulling teeth to get realtors to show me these things.
I see some MLS real estate sites showing that there are "docs on file" but you'd think I'd just be able to ask someone and have them let me see. I have a pre-approval/pre-auth letter, I don't know what else they want so I can show them I'm serious!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 AM

347 posts, read 396,168 times
if it is in Boise you can check the neighborhood association website for data on HOAs withing the NA

https://pds.cityofboise.org/3288.aspx

Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,414,745 times
We used to have a couple realtors active here, but I don't know where they went.

I'd find one online and email and ask if there's a way to view HOA's online. Or contact the recorder's office in each county you're interested in and ask them if they have them online. They really should in the 21st century.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,543,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Seems like some newer housing neighborhoods are out of their minds with rules, while the more normal ones are just hard to locate.
Another option is to avoid them, and just buy in a stable, "white collar" neighborhood. You can determine that by driving around during the dinner hour and looking at the models of cars. Also go back on a Saturday night and listen: it should be quiet!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM

28 posts, read 39,531 times
If the HOA is ran by MGM in Meridian, (a big box profits over community organization) run for the hills! I had 2 HOA complaints with fines attached, less than 10 days after purchase, and before I had finished moving everything in.

One was because we were not sure of the collection day and seen others put the trash can out 1 day early, and the other was because springtime weeds had sprung up in the flowerbed. The complaints arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and Saturday morning my daughter had already weeded the flowerbed, planted new flowers, and sprinkled shredded bark over the area and took pictures of the improvements. Fortunately they have a website where I was able to upload "Compliance" photos, and explain the situation, and got out of the fines.

We did not get a copy of the HOA CCR's for a few more weeks, and found out the rules were really simple. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T!

We sold and moved on.

We have a community managed HOA in Meridian called Chamberlain Estates, and the yards actually look better than the other place, and everything is on a much more friendly neighbor helping neighbor basis.

Have your realtor give you a copy of the HOA to look over as part of your contingency before sign into a concentration camp.

Sorry all, not trying to be a Donny Downer here, I just want to make people aware there are some seriously bad HOA management companies around these days.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 PM

285 posts, read 536,250 times
Google the subdivision Name. Search for HOA web page of the neighborhood. Get the address and name of the HOA Management Firm or the Contact address if self-managed. If not behind a user name/password wall, you may be able to download the HOA CCRs. Otherwise use the contact info and ask if they would email a copy of the CCRs for you, a prospective buyer.

It isn't hard to get a copy and usually pretty easy. If you see a home listed, contact the listing relator and ask for a copy emailed to you. It should be part of any due diligence a prospective buyer should do. But to be honest, most CCRs are very similar in verbiage and seem to be boilerplate copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area