Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times

Advertisements

Indeed all I'd love to see thwarted is the Kalifornication of Boise. No issues with it being a stable environment hopefully reasonably free of gangs and crime. But most likely IF it were to continue on the course it seems to be headed for it will end up another Salt Lake (Home and hub of the Seneloa Cartel, may that not happen for the sake of those living in Boise). Oh well......time will indeed tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 12:12 AM

289 posts, read 311,162 times
I still like the Boise area and I'll enjoy it for years to come. But it can be "progressive" without emulating Portland or SF. What a bore to copy those cities and turn it into another political headache. THAT should be a measurement for these quality of life survey's.

One of the major aspects of the Boise area I enjoy is the low crime. I really hope we don't need to go through a political identity crisis for the sake of it and invite the chaos that comes with it.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Indeed all I'd love to see thwarted is the Kalifornication of Boise. No issues with it being a stable environment hopefully reasonably free of gangs and crime. But most likely IF it were to continue on the course it seems to be headed for it will end up another Salt Lake (Home and hub of the Seneloa Cartel, may that not happen for the sake of those living in Boise). Oh well......time will indeed tell.
That "K" you fear is happening all over Idaho including the Magic Valley where you reside. Have you seen the growth in Idaho Falls and Pocatello and Twin Falls the past few years? Growth is not always a bad thing and for good or bad, Idaho and Boise are among the fastest growing states and cities in the nation. Grab the handle bars and enjoy the ride.

This is interesting:

Quote:
https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...99724b439.html

Seattleites flock to Boise

Old 09-18-2018, 03:53 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:

Stay north towards Bonner's Ferry ...

Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
The growth hasn't been so bad in Magic Valley by comparison. At least all the folks I've met so far for the most part (either from Cali or not) are by no means leftists, so I'm fine with it thus far. Certainly in the town I'm in it's solid conservative and the people are all like family. A real nice change from Utah to say the least.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The growth hasn't been so bad in Magic Valley by comparison. At least all the folks I've met so far for the most part (either from Cali or not) are by no means leftists, so I'm fine with it thus far. Certainly in the town I'm in it's solid conservative and the people are all like family. A real nice change from Utah to say the least.

Everyone seems to be afraid that Boise area is going to become liberal or California runned or that they may bring their politics to Boise to change the whole state of Idaho into a leftist place.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Everyone seems to be afraid that Boise area is going to become liberal or California runned or that they may bring their politics to Boise to change the whole state of Idaho into a leftist place.
It's a legitimate fear. There's plenty of precedent.

I just want to ask: Why can't Boise be "progressive" without the raving lunatic activism? Maybe that's what a lot of folks are fighting to keep out. Otherwise, moderates/conservatives embrace "progressive" as well. At the end of the day I would think the majority of those on the left AND right would agree this crap isn't constructive. It's so sickening and exhausting to watch this new breed of activism AND, of course our favorite, identity politics, taking center stage.

Time out for cheese: Let's make Boise the kind of place where rationality reigns supreme and we aren't caught up in our selfish, insecure notions of identity politics. Damn.. let's just work, play and kindly open the door for each other

Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post

I just want to ask: Why can't Boise be "progressive" without the raving lunatic activism? Maybe that's what a lot of folks are fighting to keep out. Otherwise, moderates/conservatives embrace "progressive" as well. At the end of the day I would think the majority of those on the left AND right would agree this crap isn't constructive. It's so sickening and exhausting to watch this new breed of activism AND, of course our favorite, identity politics, taking center stage.

Time out for cheese: Let's make Boise the kind of place where rationality reigns supreme and we aren't caught up in our selfish, insecure notions of identity politics. Damn.. let's just work, play and kindly open the door for each other

Precedents like Oregon, Washington?
I hope people don't go into Boise with the idea of bring all of their ideas and trying to change a good thing into a bad thing.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 19,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post

You're making far too much sense, and not enough "the sky is falling" for nowhereman's liking.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha256 View Post
You're making far too much sense, and not enough "the sky is falling" for nowhereman's liking.
Well, maybe I'm unrealistically optimistic, but since Boise hasn't gotten there yet there's still a chance. Having a population that all thinks the same doesn't really work. I absolutely embrace different views and lifestyles, but when they're kept to that individual and not put on show or forced on others. I don't mean clothing or body art. I'm referring more to the politics and mob mentality. It'll be interesting to see if the Boise metro handles it differently from the "edgy" cities. Maybe the outdoor culture of Idaho has an affect. Maybe it keeps the people grounded to a degree. Even Colorado so far has hung on to a somewhat moderate/independent culture... considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area