Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 AM

149 posts, read 686,523 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the drive is like from Boise to Redding in Northern CA. I have a brother who lives near Redding, and if my wife and I decide to move to Boise, would this be a convenient enough drive to make heading there from Boise a weekend trip? From what I have found out, it would be around a 9 hour drive, but I was wondering what the roads, scenery, etc. might be like on such a drive. Also, would bad weather be a factor...would I be going through difficult mountain passes or similar areas that I might not be able to do in the winter months? I would appreciate any feedback on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
All I know is that the state of Oregon is a speed trap, especially that South East portion that most of the drive goes through. When they say 65 or sometimes even 55, they mean it. And Oregon tickets aren't cheap.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:47 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Agreed. The two hours cutting through the SE corner of Oregon will be the longest two hours of your life.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Wow, what's the deal with the Oregon highway patrol/state police then? Why are there so many expensive tickets given? So I take it they are just ticket happy and pull people over like crazy then? I guess I would have assumed they would stick to the interstates and highways near the more populated areas. Or are the patrols in that area just bored or something?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deselminator View Post
Wow, what's the deal with the Oregon highway patrol/state police then? Why are there so many expensive tickets given? So I take it they are just ticket happy and pull people over like crazy then? I guess I would have assumed they would stick to the interstates and highways near the more populated areas. Or are the patrols in that area just bored or something?
It is the entire state not just the Eastern part. I had a friend who was driving in the fast lane outside of Portland, keeping up with the speed of traffic. When he got pulled over he couldn't make it over the right shoulder so he pulled off to the left rather than making the cop follow him until he could over. He got a $600 ticket for speeding and another $300 dollar ticket for pulling over on the wrong side. He never paid it, and still gets letters from the county, but they can't do anything about it.

Also make sure you buckle up, the seat belt tickert goes from $10 in Idaho to over $80 in Oregon.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,099 times
Try to enter Boise on an empty tank...gas prices look about an actual $1 less per gallon then what they are in NorCal right now....

Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Boise gas prices don't seem to follow any national pattern except for the general trend of being more expensive every year. Sometimes gas there is as much as gas in SoCal. Other times, like now, it is quite a bit less.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,034 times
Default N CA Drive to BOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deselminator View Post
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the drive is like from Boise to Redding in Northern CA. I have a brother who lives near Redding, and if my wife and I decide to move to Boise, would this be a convenient enough drive to make heading there from Boise a weekend trip? From what I have found out, it would be around a 9 hour drive, but I was wondering what the roads, scenery, etc. might be like on such a drive. Also, would bad weather be a factor...would I be going through difficult mountain passes or similar areas that I might not be able to do in the winter months? I would appreciate any feedback on this.
I live in Auburn CA and drive to Boise a lot. It is an 8 hour drive for me, icluding stops.The weather is only a factor in the Winter especially between Auburn and Reno,,,, other than that it is usually a piece of cake! I love the scenery,,,,, good luck Auburn is a good 2 1/2 hours from Redding. There may be a shortcut from Reno to Redding, but I am not aware.....

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjac79 View Post
I live in Auburn CA and drive to Boise a lot. It is an 8 hour drive for me, icluding stops.The weather is only a factor in the Winter especially between Auburn and Reno,,,, other than that it is usually a piece of cake! I love the scenery,,,,, good luck Auburn is a good 2 1/2 hours from Redding. There may be a shortcut from Reno to Redding, but I am not aware.....
Well I doubt I would be driving through Reno...seems a bit out of the way for where I would be going. I'd probably drive through SE Oregon to get to Redding. Nevertheless, thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area