Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 04:30 PM

23 posts, read 41,275 times

Advertisements

Hello All...

we're new to Meridian and wanted to hear what the best/most scenic route from here on up/thru the forest might be? If you would kindly post a general route to travel and/or suggestions for trips along the way, we would be most thankful !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 PM

285 posts, read 540,439 times
Default Drives to forests from Meridian

I would say the drive up Hwy 21 towards Idaho City is your quickest bet. then head west and come out on Hwy 55 and either back to Boise or up to McCall.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 PM

97 posts, read 120,437 times
Depends how far you want to go. If you want a short ~ 1 hour trip drive up to Bogus Basin and visit the Simplot Lodge and Patio area. It's right in Boise's backyard only ~25 miles away from downtown Meridian. A longer trip would be going up to Ponderosa State Park in McCall (~110 miles from Meridian).

Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 AM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
Take any road that your vehicle can handle and make it an adventure (emphasis on handle) , there are a multitude of roads that will provide scenic views.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
Take any road that your vehicle can handle and make it an adventure (emphasis on handle) , there are a multitude of roads that will provide scenic views.

What are the conditions of those roads?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What are the conditions of those roads?
There are roads that your average 2 wheel drive with normal clearance can handle, then there are those that a 2 wheel drive with high clearance can handle, then there are those that require 4 wheel drive with high clearance; then you get to the ones that requires a OHV (off highway vehicle) but these are really just OHV trails. One just has to know what one is doing. There are stories about people following their GPS and getting in serious trouble. For example we were on a club (ATV/UTV) ride in the Owyhees and met up with a woman in a Subaru that wanted to know if she could get to Silver City on the road because that is what her GPS was telling her; needless to say if she had continued on she would have been in serious, trouble wouldn't be able to go forward or turn around. Hint don't listen to your GPS if it is trying to take you off a county or state road unless you have obtained previous information from a trusted source that the road is passable for your vehicle.

You would be safe if you stayed on county or state designated roads. Some Forest Service roads are ok, others are not. If you are getting off the normal track (county/state) make sure you tell someone where you are going and when you plan on returning so when you don't show up someone will know where you were going.

In actuality you should always leave your trip plans with someone anytime you decide to go sightseeing. Nothing says that you will be seen if you have an accident and go off the road. If you do that it will give the authorities and search parties an idea where to start looking if you don't show up when you were supposed to. I don't want to scare you from exploring this great State, just be safe.

Last edited by zed42; 09-11-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
There are roads that your average 2 wheel drive with normal clearance can handle, then there are those that a 2 wheel drive with high clearance can handle, then there are those that require 4 wheel drive with high clearance; then you get to the ones that requires a OHV (off highway vehicle) but these are really just OHV trails. One just has to know what one is doing. There are stories about people following their GPS and getting in serious trouble. For example we were on a club (ATV/UTV) ride in the Owyhees and met up with a woman in a Subaru that wanted to know if she could get to Silver City on the road because that is what her GPS was telling her; needless to say if she had continued on she would have been in serious, trouble wouldn't be able to go forward or turn around. Hint don't listen to your GPS if it is trying to take you off a county or state road unless you have obtained previous information from a trusted source that the road is passable for your vehicle.

You would be safe if you stayed on county or state designated roads. Some Forest Service roads are ok, others are not. If you are getting off the normal track (county/state) make sure you tell someone where you are going and when you plan on returning so when you don't show up someone will know where you were going.

In actuality you should always leave your trip plans with someone anytime you decide to go sightseeing. Nothing says that you will be seen if you have an accident and go off the road. If you do that it will give the authorities and search parties an idea where to start looking if you don't show up when you were supposed to. I don't want to scare you from exploring this great State, just be safe.

So true and great advice.
Rear wheel drive vehicles ok for these roads?

I do not trust either of my GPS units Garmin or Tom Tom even in an urban area. I have found these units to be in error and are not 100%. These units don't always take you the best way as there are different ways to get to the same destination when you program the units to your preference.

I would just prefer to be on a road that is driveable not full of potholes to slow one down or do damage to the car. In other words stick to the main highways
Of course everything changes if the roads are iced or covered in snow then one will need a special vehicle for those increment weather conditions.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Rear wheel drive vehicles ok for these roads?
Depends on the road, if a front wheel drive can navigate the road no reason a rear wheel drive will not. Remember all pickups are rear wheel drive unless you engage 4WD if you have it. However, I do have to put about 300 lbs of sand in the bed of my 2WD in the winter. Wish I had bought a 4WD but none were available (pre-owned) with an 8 foot box (in this area) when I needed to purchase one.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Depends on the road, if a front wheel drive can navigate the road no reason a rear wheel drive will not. Remember all pickups are rear wheel drive unless you engage 4WD if you have it. However, I do have to put about 300 lbs of sand in the bed of my 2WD in the winter. Wish I had bought a 4WD but none were available (pre-owned) with an 8 foot box (in this area) when I needed to purchase one.
Yes you need that extra weight to keep that back end from over steer and for traction. Rear wheel cars are prone to that especially if it has lots of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area