Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 858 times

Advertisements

I can see both sides of the argument. I don't believe that diversity was a founding and fundamental American principle (in that our nation required, preferred or wanted it), but it just happened due to how America was formed. It was a side-effect, not a preference. I'm not advocating against it, but it happened, and in some cases it's good, in some cases it's not.

I don't think we should discriminate on the basis of race, but at the same time, it's not always a benefit. Just ask the European countries that are struggling with the large influx of Muslim extremists and the issues it's causing. The inner cities are often a majority non-white, and they are typically poorly-run and much higher crime than other areas. Public riots aren't commonplace in downtown Boise.

If someone is a benefit, then it shouldn't matter where they came from. If someone comes here who is non-white and is friendly, safe, has a job and contributes, it shouldn't matter if they are white or not. But, we should also not be seeking specific races, because they are not all going to be a benefit to society. Why should we be seeking non-whites any more than we should be seeking whites? Does color matter? As long as people are good, who cares?

And the slavery argument is old and tired. Do your research. Slavery was the world norm at the time, and one of the first American slave owners in American history was Anthony Johnson, who was black and a former slave. He sued to keep a slave who thought his time was up, and it was one of the early legal actions in the slave period. It's also well-known that blacks were often the sellers of slaves sold in Africa. I also don't think anyone can argue that blacks in America (whose ancestors may have been brought here against their will) have much better lives than native Africans on almost every level. Yes, it was wrong, but not wrong by the standards of their time. Are future generations going to judge us and put current humans in a negative light because we burned fossil fuels for energy? Hogwash.

This post may offend some, but get outside of your comfort zone and think non-emotionally, and let's have an intelligent conversation about it.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:39 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
The discussion has wandered pretty far from the OP's initial query, and is more appropriate to other C-D forums other than Idaho. This thread is now closed.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: