U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

3,830 posts, read 2,068,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The impression that the local media has given the past few months is that the code enforcement for Boise is getting stricter and more officers are looking for violators.
Have you tried talking to the neighbor and let them know your frustration?
Maybe going to City Hall and asking to speak to the mayor or another head will help. If I had a neighbor who had a light like that I would call code enfocement every day until they did something about it.
Hmmm, there's an idea. And thanks for the info on mayor's hours Justin. So you think I should show up with photos and cry on his shoulder? Definitely an option to think about while I wait for the final verdict from Code Enforcement and whomever else they were going to consult with.

As for getting more strict. I thought I heard that too. But did you know if someone builds without a permit CE can't go in after they're finished? CE must be notified during the build itself so they can come out and see for themselves that it is happening.

I have another neighbor who said their architect told them to go ahead and build without a permit. This puzzled me until the CE officer told me yesterday about not being able to do anything about it after the fact. The other neighbor, however, was going to build something that didn't meet code and was visible from the outside. The CE officer said it's possible they might do something if the code violation was visible. BTW, I didn't turn those neighbors in, nor do I have any intention of doing so. They live across the street so what they do on their property doesn't affect me a bit. I was just asking because I was curious as to the extent of CE's power.

I think the codes here need some serious updating considering the growth and especially the density due to new building and in-fill housing this valley is seeing.

I completely understand that many of us don't want to live under the control of the yard Nazi, we want certain freedoms on our own property. We want to park our cars on the street for a day or two, we want to skip cutting the grass while on vacation, we want to fly the flag, put a cow on our mailbox, express ourselves. But when those freedoms interfere with our neighbor's freedoms, then there's a problem.

I myself was disdainful of CC&Rs until this neighbor moved in. Now I understand entirely why many people want them. At this point, I'd gladly abide by all the restrictions they could throw at me just in order to have a little peace in my own yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 PM

5,511 posts, read 10,727,891 times
Having city codes against certain behaviors isn't a guarantee of cooperation, either. My mom has a neighbor who lets their dog bark. And it does, for hours and hours at a time. Daytime, nighttime, it doesn't matter. It barks incessantly.

She lives in Meridian. There is a Meridian City Code against letting dogs bark and create a noise nuisance. However, Meridian's CE policy is that they will post a notice of complaint (which tells which neighbor complained, by the way, which is lame), and that's it. Even if you call every day, they just keep posting notices, with no other recourse. Not even a fine.

My mom finally wrote a letter asking why, if they don't enforce this rule, are they entitled to enforce other rules? What makes dog owners exempt from the law? She didn't get an answer.

As for the light in your neighbors yard, you mentioned a shade. Have you looked into getting some sort of shade that you could attach to the light yourself that would block or redirect at least some of the light?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Having city codes against certain behaviors isn't a guarantee of cooperation, either. My mom has a neighbor who lets their dog bark. And it does, for hours and hours at a time. Daytime, nighttime, it doesn't matter. It barks incessantly.

She lives in Meridian. There is a Meridian City Code against letting dogs bark and create a noise nuisance. However, Meridian's CE policy is that they will post a notice of complaint (which tells which neighbor complained, by the way, which is lame), and that's it. Even if you call every day, they just keep posting notices, with no other recourse. Not even a fine.

My mom finally wrote a letter asking why, if they don't enforce this rule, are they entitled to enforce other rules? What makes dog owners exempt from the law? She didn't get an answer.

As for the light in your neighbors yard, you mentioned a shade. Have you looked into getting some sort of shade that you could attach to the light yourself that would block or redirect at least some of the light?
Noooo, I have a feeling I'd get shot if I went in their yard and messed with their light.

Here in Boise, Animal Control will also only issue a notice of complaint, and only 2 per calendar year at that. After that if the owner doesn't comply, you have to file a formal suit. AC will help you a bit, but it's up to you to gather evidence that the dog is barking, see if there are other neighbors who will sign an affidavit stating the barking bothers them, and then you have to show up in court and prove your case to a judge. Does AC in Meridian give your mom that option when she calls?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 10,727,891 times
They told her she would have to take them to small claims court at her expense, on her time and on her own. They didn't indicate there was any guidance or assistance available.

She doesn't want to do that for 2 reasons:
1)She has to continue to live by this person, and doesn't want to stir the pot that much.
2)The idea of having to pay the courts to have the city enforce an existing code, when they've had multiple complaints, and could send a code enforcement officer over at random times and hear the problem for themselves, just ticks her off to no end.

She probably wouldn't be able to get the neighbors to sign anyway. Almost all of them have dogs as well. They don't bark nearly as much, (although sometimes this one dog will get the rest going) but the neighbors probably wouldn't want to sign something that could work against their own interests at some later date.

She actually said its been a bit better for the last week or so, and the car that was parked in the street in front of this house is now being parked in the driveway as well, so she thinks the HomeOwners Association must have gotten enough complaints to finally look into it.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Dang, I thought Boise's dog barking laws were bad, but it sounds like Meridian's are worse. If you call Animal Control here you don't have to give your name for them to issue warnings. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay court costs if you end up filing a formal complaint, but I could be wrong there.

I notice Animal Control and Code Enforcement are different numbers in Meridian, if your mom really needs some relief, she might try calling AC if she hasn't already and see what they say.

Edited To Add: I'm surprised her HOA isn't more involved. They way they're represented in the media, they are chomping at the bit to find any little thing to exercise their power over.

Last edited by LillyLillyLilly; 04-19-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,982,294 times
I advise taking advantage of lax CE to build yourself a very high fence : )

Old 05-04-2008, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
You shoot out the light with a BB gun, do it at night and they won't be able to prove it's you. Keep doing it until they get the point and stop replacing it. I'm being serious, take matters into to your hands.
dang that was my idea.
well i guess its a good thing im not the only one who throught this.

just practice your shot first so you dont damage anything else

Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 PM

48 posts, read 135,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Well, the grass is always greener and all that...

I have many friends who live in Portland that complain about Homeowner Association regulations being so draconian they're not allowed to put a doghouse in their yard without approval.
I live within 15 minutes of Portland, and many of the same rules apply to property here too. Which is why I get very excited by reading the original post, even though it sounds so terrible. I am considering moving to Treasure Valley in the next 2 years and for me this is very good news. Not that I would do any of the things that the terrible neighbor has done.

I am a very, very strong believer in individual ownership. If someone else has the right to tell you what you can and can't do on your own land, you don't really own your land, IMO. I know that may sound extreme, but thats just my value system.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM

114 posts, read 388,671 times
Red face Couldn't she build a security fence"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Well, the grass is always greener and all that...

I have many friends who live in Portland that complain about Homeowner Association regulations being so draconian they're not allowed to put a doghouse in their yard without approval.

While I tend to side with the idea that we should forfeit some of the rights we have to do with our property as we see fit for the good of a community, especially as concerns large scale policy issues, I do also appreciate the freedom that we in Idaho have to be able to do with our property as we choose without neighbors or city officials having too much of a say.

Personally I think you should deal with it, and appreciate the freedoms we have here - it's part of what makes Idaho the place it is. Have you tried talking with your neighbors about this? Maybe that might be an alternative.

I'd rather have the cities and counties stay off my back and the backs of others - and also give up a little of my own personal freedoms - than to have them harassing as they do alot of places. The code enforcement is often too tight and deprives residents of the ability to enjoy their properties or do what they want with them.

If someones doesn't make excessive noise, doesn't cause odors and doesn't endanger me or my property - I think I should not complain. Maybe he doesn't like how you keep your property. Nothing Personal.

MajorHart

Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM

152 posts, read 440,407 times
Quote:
I'd rather have the cities and counties stay off my back and the backs of others - and also give up a little of my own personal freedoms - than to have them harassing as they do alot of places. The code enforcement is often too tight and deprives residents of the ability to enjoy their properties or do what they want with them.
Agreed.

Seriously, is this really affecting you that much...honestly I would rather have a neighbor that is violating codes than a neighbor who is always in my business.

Furthermore, have you done what humans were meant to do...have you TALKED to your neighbor personally? Or are you just trying to have other people do dirty work through government agencies?

Go talk to them about the light, offer a solution, see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area