Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 AM

77 posts, read 270,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2IDQ View Post
I didn't realize it could take that long to get to Boise from Nampa. Good to know. Thanks again for the great info. Sorry to hear you are leaving. I wish you luck on your next journey
It takes 15 - 20 minutes to get from downtown Boise to Nampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 AM

5,569 posts, read 4,925,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
It's important to understand Nampa is far only during peak times of the day. We live in Meridian not far from Cherry and it's more convenient to drive to the Nampa Costco than the Cole Rd store in SW Boise. It's basically a straight shot down Cherry. However, I would wait until after peak evening travel on weekdays. If you live in Nampa and work a night shift in Boise/Meridian you're good. HUGE difference going east in the evening or west in the morning (FYI a new Costco is coming to NW Meridian - BADLY needed!)
That's great a new Costco coming..
I know that they are building a new Costco in Idaho Falls but that is quite a ways from Boise.
There are rural areas of Boise that may have less traffic?
Or go further north of Boise towards Weiser? Too far?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 13,314 times
Thanks for the info. There seems to be some difference of opinions on how far the two towns are. Mine was in response to winter driving from Nampa to Boise. The other member said his co-workers sometimes drove over an hour to get to work from Nampa.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 AM

347 posts, read 397,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2IDQ View Post
The other member said his co-workers sometimes drove over an hour to get to work from Nampa.
they do

Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 PM

215 posts, read 256,374 times
Default Depends on where in Nampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceyhot View Post
It's important to understand Nampa is far only during peak times of the day. We live in Meridian not far from Cherry and it's more convenient to drive to the Nampa Costco than the Cole Rd store in SW Boise. It's basically a straight shot down Cherry. However, I would wait until after peak evening travel on weekdays. If you live in Nampa and work a night shift in Boise/Meridian you're good. HUGE difference going east in the evening or west in the morning (FYI a new Costco is coming to NW Meridian - BADLY needed!)
I live in Eagle (on Eagle Island just south of State St) and when I have visited a friend that lives in south Nampa it takes me about 30 minutes to get to her place. And that’s usually during mid-day. So I don’t think your comment of Nampa being far only during peak times of day is accurate. It also depends where in Nampa.

I would say a rental home closer to I-84 might be the best bet for the OP since he does not know where he will be working. It could be in Boise, Meridian, or Nampa. Just my $.02 😉

HR

Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM

164 posts, read 226,038 times
An East Coaster here too, so I don't consider any of the Boise area even remotely bad. With that said, I would personally recommend west Boise and Meridian, and even some parts of Eagle where apartments are going up. Garden City seems to be trying to be the new North End one day, but it isn't there yet. But I would not avoid it.

One word of caution: The government here is a small town type with little money, while big city issues are facing it due to the out of control growth. Do not expect any hint of mass transit other than widening the existing highways. There is almost no bus service at all. The same is true of most of the infrastructure here. Give you an example, the entire state budget of Idaho is less than the budget of the City of Miami, Florida. As the big city problems come to Boise, I don't know how they will be able to handle it. So do some research and plan accordingly.

But for now I would not worry much about crime anywhere.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,314 times
Thanks for the heads up. My wife actually thought she could get around without a car and take the bus everywhere Guess we will be shipping both vehicles.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:36 AM

Maybe Emmet or Payette area?

Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 PM

45 posts, read 31,232 times
Nampa and Caldwell stink. Bad. It used to be Amalgamated Sugar stunk, but this stink is everywhere and worse than beets. Craigslist does have some scams, but nobody classifies in the paper so Craigslist is the classified ads here. Buying a house, use a relator. Most people classify neighborhoods in terms of convenience, usually traffic wise. Highlands are wealthy, its the view. Mountain View, Crescent Rim, Northend Foothills, view. Warm Springs is expensive because of natural hot spring water, never cook with that hot water and make sure the taps are separate pipes hot and cold. If there's a stink out that way its sulfer from the hot springs, normally. The Boise river does breach its banks sometimes.

You need a car or two or three. There's a freeway system through town that runs 60-65 mph cuz things are spread out. 10 miles from main st is still incorporated.

So, what did you finally decide? have you moved here yet? What's up with you?

So, are you opening a new business?

Last edited by IdahoanAgain; 08-13-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 05:19 PM

Anything in Kuna, Star or Oyahuna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area