Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 01:44 PM

464 posts, read 1,107,351 times

Advertisements

We liked the Caldwell area when we visited, but were shocked to see that every elementary school seemed to have a 1 or 2 out of 10 rating. Is there something wrong with the school district there?

Nampa was pretty bad too. Are charter schools just the way to go in the Boise area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 01:49 PM

347 posts, read 396,628 times
none of my friends send their kids to a charter school - most of them go to highlands, longfellow or washington elementaries

Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,107,351 times
Are those schools better than the 1 and 2 out of 10 ratings they have on Great Schools website? The test scores were bad.

Though it is encouraging to hear at least some parents are not all that concerned by these "ratings".

Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Are those schools better than the 1 and 2 out of 10 ratings they have on Great Schools website? The test scores were bad.

Though it is encouraging to hear at least some parents are not all that concerned by these "ratings".
https://www.greatschools.org/search/...arter&state=ID

the schools closest to me are all 9/10 or so

maybe you need to look closer to town?

Old 05-30-2019, 02:00 PM

now I know why everyone wants to send their kid to highlands elementary lol

Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM

49 posts, read 125,794 times
Idahoans are absolutely not willing to fund education. It's a real problem, and handicaps our ability to develop a vibrant economy.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:28 PM

213 posts, read 339,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post

The assigned school to my house is ranked 2 out of 10. What the test results don't show is that the school has a 55% Hispanic population. Chances are that English may not always be their native language. They also had a 33% on target reading score, many are behind.

I can't actually comment about teaching abilities or testing methods, as my son was in the special ed classroom. He already learned to read at 4, so I wasn't bothered by the reading scores. He likes to dabble in foreign languages, so it didn't bother me if he were to pick up more Spanish or such. He's 100% non-compliant with tests, so if they have to count his scores, I feel sorry for the school.

The big problem was that they simply didn't have enough staff support to give my son the attention he needs to actually accomplish learning. The teacher worked extremely hard to get more supportive staff... but the bottom line was because my son wasn't attending a full week of school due to his 7 therapy sessions, the higher ups weren't willing to staff more people for the "occasional" student. It's a catch-22, he was getting that much therapy because the school didn't have the staff needed to deal with him.

We had a big meeting with the school and his new potential school. One thing that really stood out to me was one person saying that he appreciated that my husband and I both attended, that we obviously care about our son and want the best for him. The person actually said that they have parents that outright say "you deal with it, he's at school, this isn't my problem." And I think that could be the most telling reason of all why some schools have terrible scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: