Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 PM

72 posts, read 67,668 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. I am hoping to get some suggestions on towns around Boise you would recommend for a family
to consider if they were to be moving to the area. A town that would offer about 30-45min drive to Boise, the zoo area.

Are a lot of the homes around there HOAs?
I was surprised to see how much more expensive homes are in Boise but a lot of what I am also looking at on Zillow/Trulia seem to be very recently updated (a tad disappointing since they all seem to be following the HGTV trend of "Lets knock down all the walls because I want to hear EVERY sound in the house at one time") Would not want to spend more than 300k and honestly wanted to stay WAY under at 200k, but after getting over sticker shock realized that was going to be all that possible.

Any particular school districts we should look into?

Thank you!

BTW- We would not be relocating from CA, OR, or WA

Last edited by ejlw7002; 09-25-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 11:05 AM

33 posts, read 45,942 times
Look into Canyon County, and don't believe most of the bad reputation Nampa and Caldwell get. While they're definitely more industrial and gritty than Boise/Meridian, in the last 10 years, they've cleaned up quite nicely, both have nice downtown areas, and have recently started attracting higher wealth and better jobs. They are not far from the urban core of Boise, but are significantly cheaper than Ada county, especially the farther out in the country you go.

Also, look into Payette, Fruitland, Marsing and Parma. All nice, small, rural communities less than an hour from Boise.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Thank you for those suggestions.

One more question, with property taxes, do they do assessments every year (with increases) like they do where I am currently at? I was even aware of yearly assessments until I moved to the upper midwest as other places we lived they were conducted every 3-5 yrs at earliest.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:09 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,473,483 times
Idaho is each year. Does not necessarily mean the taxes will go up as the assessment rate can change to keep the total collections the same, less, or more.

It's all 'splained here: https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1129.cfm

Old 09-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post

It's all 'splained here: https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1129.cfm
Thank you for the link!

Old 09-27-2019, 10:36 PM

97 posts, read 120,558 times
Property taxes vary by location, Generally 0.9-1.52% with a $100K homestead exemption. The city of Boise has the highest rates around at ~1.5+%, Meridian and Eagle are ~1.1% and unincorporated areas ~0.9%. You can look up any address on the County Assessors Website to see the actual rates for different areas/addresses.

If you are going to be commuting into Boise for work that might limit your distance range to something more like Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell or Kuna. Fruitland/Payette would be a significant commute distance, especially in the Winter or on high traffic days but people do it.

Housing here is not cheap but the market seems to keep going up so it's a profitable investment to own no matter where you buy, at least for now. It's still a great deal compared to many other major cities in the PNW.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 17,465 times
Check out Mountain Home, maybe? I live in Boise but work there, and the drive is about 45 minutes depending on traffic. Winter driving can be a little dicey sometimes, but it's interstate so it gets attention quickly. Its's pretty affordable and very quiet. I don't know about school districts, but it's a nice community. Definitely a military town though, everyone knows someone that works on the base or is former military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area