Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times

Advertisements

So, last weekend, an article ran in the Statesman that described how much higher a grocery shopping trip to Albertson's / Supervalue costs than several of the local competition.

http://http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/350837.html (broken link)
(click the links under "related documents")

Granted, this is supposed to be before discounts, and Albertson's has the Value card thing, but the other places run sales too, they just advertise less, and their prices are apparantly so much lower to begin with, even after discounts, they would still be substantially less.

Then yesterday, Supervalu reported record sales and earnings for 4th quarter fiscal 2008 (up 30%!!)

http://http://www.idahostatesman.com/525/story/354941.html (broken link)

Does anyone else find that somewhat disturbing?

I've shopped at Albertson's my entire life, I prefer supporting local businesses whenever possible, but since being purchased by Supervalue, they have stopped carrying many of the products I've purchased for years. An average trip to the grocery store for me has gone up by around $20 since last year. I assumed it was due to rising product cost and gas prices, but now I see it was to line the pockets of Supervalu stockholders.

Now, am I out of line here? Maybe I'm missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Albertsons is horrible...that's why I take my money to Winco.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Albertson's has always been the highest priced grocery in the valley. I started going to WinCo after Albertson's implemented the loyalty card cuz I didn't think I should have to let them gather info on me to get the best price. Until then, I didn't realize how much cheaper WinCo is.

I went in Albertson's a couple years ago, before it was sold to SuperValu, looking for something I couldn't find anywhere else and spent some time wandering around checking prices. A bag of veggies I get at WinCo for $2.69 was going for $4.20 at Albertson's. Can't remember which brand (maybe Nathan's?), but some hot dogs at WC were $3.50, Alb. was $6! And on and on and on. I go there maybe once every 3 years to find something, but I buy ONLY the one item I need and get the heck out.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
I had an interview with a company that does some marketing for Albertson's and what they told me is that most of Albertson's customers do not do their weekly grocery shopping trip there. Most of Albertson's business is people picking up 3-4 items on their way home from work and they do not want to drive out of their way to go to Wal-Mart or Winco.

In Phoenix, Albertson's had so much competition that they had to close a lot of their stores there. If Albertson's is within a mile of another grocery store nobody shops there. It would be nice if another grocery chain would move to Boise and stir up a little competition.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
I think Boise is the first place I have ever lived that didn't have a Safeway, not that it's that cheap, but it would be nice to see variety.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I had an interview with a company that does some marketing for Albertson's and what they told me is that most of Albertson's customers do not do their weekly grocery shopping trip there. Most of Albertson's business is people picking up 3-4 items on their way home from work and they do not want to drive out of their way to go to Wal-Mart or Winco.

In Phoenix, Albertson's had so much competition that they had to close a lot of their stores there. If Albertson's is within a mile of another grocery store nobody shops there. It would be nice if another grocery chain would move to Boise and stir up a little competition.
That's me! I'm the typical, only need a couple things and don't feel like fighting the crowds at Winco or Walmart. Will purchase certain cuts of roasts that they carry that Winco doesn't.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM

24 posts, read 74,091 times
i live in emmett and have to shop albertson's, my child is lactose intolerant so I have to pay 9.00 gal for milk at the great american ripoff... but if I go up the hill I can get it at walmart for 6.50... I don't have a problem with them making a profit, but hey guys what about us poor people...

Old 04-20-2008, 02:53 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,578 times
I noticed a lot of Fred Meyer's in Boise. What's the impression of them? I've never heard of them.

I went to a Safeway in Reno on my way to check out Boise and I was SHOCKED at how great it was. The prices were super...the store was clean and upscale. I was shocked. I have Von's here in Cali and haven't been impressed with Von's ever (overpriced)....I assumed Safeway was the same since they're owned by the same company. Damn I was wrong. I was hoping Boise would have Safeway....didn't see them.

Albertson's is kinda of meh here where I live...decent selection..clean..

Old 04-20-2008, 03:19 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Fred Meyer is in the Kroger family...not sure where in California you are but related to Kroger, Ralphs, Food4Less, others.

Umm, best description I could give you is a Mervyn's plus grocery store for Fred Meyer. Clothes are better than Wal-Mart, groceries were less than Albertson's, more than Wal-Mart Supercenter and WinCo.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
If you want to pick out dish patterns, grab an i-bolt, and shop for cole slaw ingredients all while you're waiting for your paint to mix, then Fred Meyer's the place for you.

I agree with the price scale boi2socal listed. Cheaper than Albertson's, more than WinCo, WalMart, and Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area