Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

18 posts, read 57,803 times

Advertisements

I have researched out my butt and went back about 20 pages in this forum, but there is nothing like people that have already lived there.

So. The hubs will be working near S. Five Mile and W. Victory. We have 3 kids, 4.5, almost 2, and 5 weeks. Looking for in order of importance:
- fenced backyard
- within 5-10 min drive time so Hubs can come home for lunch****
- good parks (walking distance a huge plus)
- library
- Dutch Bros would be nice
- community pool or nearish to a park with a splashpad
- 900-1300/mo rentish to give you an idea of price range

We will be renting. I have been looking in SW Boise around Five Mile and things just dried up rentalwise in the last week! I am hoping they pick up a little this week, as Hubs is driving out Saturday to look for a house and apply.

I'd like to widen his search a bit but am not sure what neighborhoods would be good.

Anyone willing to take a stab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,465 times
There is the Ada Community Library at 5mile and Victory and several nice subdivisions in that area so you are searching in the right places. I would try widening your search all the way west to linder, south to Lake Hazel or even Columbia, and east to Cole road. That area south of I-84 is pretty easy to navigate with few stoplights and less traffic than the area north of the interstate so you should be able to get around very easily.

Also, your mid-month timing isn't great as folks tend to move the most around the first of the month and landlords may not be advertising yet for things coming up April 1. Maybe by the weekend you'll see more things.

If you think you'll be here a while, there are some good places to buy in that area.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM

We will be looking to move in April 1-7 or so (flexible on timing).hopefully intending on buying, but want to get a feel for the area first

I have been looking from Eagle or slightly more west over to Cole area and south to around Lake Hazel (especially since there is a library at the corner of Lake Hazel and Five Mile (I think). So rentals pop up closer to the time when they will be open? I don't want to send him out too early!

Thanks so much for the input! Glad to hear the traffic isn't bad, I was looking north of 84 in Meridian by Settlers and heard the congestion was pretty bad up there. My friend lives just south of 84 near maple Grove and said it took her 30 min to get to the park - yikes!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Yeah, we manage about 150 properties in Boise/Meridian, and we typically don't even put them on Craigslist until the last week before they are going to be vacant, because most everything rents so quickly anyway. We operate at less than 1% vacancy. We actually have two coming up in that exact part of town on April 1st that we haven't run yet, but one is only a 2 bedroom, and the other one, a 3 bedroom, is a rear load garage, so it has NO fenced yard. So neither of the ones I have coming up will probably work for you. But the point is, I'm just one smallish company, and I have 2 unadvertised houses that are in your time frame and area of town. I'm sure there are others out there.

Here is what I would do.

First, I'd call up every property management company I could find in the area and ask them if they have anything coming up that hasn't been advertised yet. Look at old Craigslist ads for the last 90 days or so, and call any name that has had more than 1 property listed. Google "Boise property management" and call those companies too.

Then, if you haven't found something, have hubby drive around the subdivisions you are interested in and look for rental signs. Call the numbers on those signs. Some people don't do any advertising other than signage.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Lacerta - that is an excellent idea! I thought Boise must be a very quick market - I have been watching Craigslist for a little over a month now. Thankfully, we have a flexible start date of April 15th for the hubs, and have our rental in Oregon until April 14th, so we do have a little time, but would like to get there and settled in the first week of April.

How bad is Bristol Heights trafficwise from 5 Mile/Victory? Just wondering if I should look north of 84 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area