Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times

Advertisements

Just got a new job and part of my territory is Ogden Utah, what is the realistic drive time between Boise and Ogden? I tend to drive a little over the speed limit and I take really quick breaks if I do need to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM

17 posts, read 32,981 times
Microsoft Streets & Trips says 4 hours 45 minutes. That was from Eagle to Ogden. So you could probably do it in 4.5 hours.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
I did Google maps on the drive as well, but I tend to take their trip times with a grain of salt. Most of the mapping programs seem like they calculate their trips on freeways with no traffic and perfect weather conditions.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Portions of I-84 in Utah have been known to shut down due to high winds, blowing snow/dust leading to poor visibility. They'll have a sign flashing just before the split to the I-86. If that's the case you get to take the scenic route of heading over to Pocatello and dropping down I-15.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Wink FLY, if You Can

Weather determines the time. In winter, often the road gets closed at various times during the day.

If it were me, I'd fly to SLC, then drive the quick 20-25 minute drive to Ogden. It's an easy drive since the airport is located close to Beck St. and the highways that connect the two are fast.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck in the new job.

MSR

Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM

278 posts, read 906,462 times
I did this drive recently and would estimate 4.5 hours. For most of this drive, the traffic is light so there really isn't any reason to not assume highway speed the whole way. The weather closures on I-84 should only be a factor in winter.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I did the drive back and forth Boise to Logan, Utah, many times in college. In good weather, I was 4 hours on the nose driving 80. Ogden is just a hair farther, with a bit more traffic on that last stretch, so 4 hours 30 minutes would be realistic. There is usually road construction at some point every year, but that was always part of my 4 hours too, so that shouldn't add any time unless it is really heavy construction.

In the wintertime, that stretch of road can be one of the worst in the country, due to blowing snow, as cleosmom said. They do sometimes shut the road down completely. My freshman year I think it was closed about 8 times. If the roads are iffy and you have to go, flying would be my preferred method, but if you have to drive, cleosmom is right again that you could go around through Pocatello or you could also get off the freeway and take the back highways.

Either way, if you are going to drive in the wintertime, be sure to look up a few alternate routes and plan lots and lots of time. You can easily be twice as long or even more if the roads are bad, or if you have to detour. You can find Idaho road conditions at 511.idaho.gov and Utah road conditions at commuterlink.utah.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: