Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 07:00 PM

64 posts, read 61,914 times

Advertisements

I am very familiar with Boise and Eagle but housing prices are just out of my comfort zone. I’ve seen homes in Nampa (and even Kuna and Cauldwell) that are more affordable but I’m not familiar with Nampa. I’ve been told it has a nice down town but there are areas to avoid. I’ve seen a lot of new homes north east (north of 84) and then many closer the Caldwell. Anyone familiar with the area who can tell me the good/safe areas to live in Nampa? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 11:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,622,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waken2 View Post
I am very familiar with Boise and Eagle but housing prices are just out of my comfort zone. I’ve seen homes in Nampa (and even Kuna and Cauldwell) that are more affordable but I’m not familiar with Nampa. I’ve been told it has a nice down town but there are areas to avoid. I’ve seen a lot of new homes north east (north of 84) and then many closer the Caldwell. Anyone familiar with the area who can tell me the good/safe areas to live in Nampa? Thanks.
Check out the
area north of 84 around the Ford Idaho Center, and areas in south Nampa out by Lake Lowell.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:36 PM

213 posts, read 338,893 times
I'll testify that northeast Nampa has been a fine place to live. Hoping to get some relatives of mine out here.

That said... I would avoid the number streets (1st-30th), as there's project housing and rentals, and it's still working on being polished up. Higher number streets seem to be fine (40s, 50s).

Other things to consider is that there's a lot of booming sounds from the train tracks along Greenhurst (eastern side) and Railroad St. I'll see several comments a month on NextDoor about "did you hear that booming at 3am?! What was it?!" and then 10 people chime in that it was just the trains hooking up and such. There's also some train depots around 11th Ave... but again, I go back to my "avoid the number streets" thinking.

My overall Treasure Valley impression has been things are nicer north of the 84. But traffic is worse for north of 84. I live south of it, and I would say the biggest way I notice the differences is in the schools. The school we're assigned to has 33% behind in reading. I suspect part of is due to the Hispanic population (55% of the students, last time I checked) and if English isn't their first language, that would explain the reading struggles. It does mean the ERR is quite tapped out, so my son got moved to another school that met his needs better. My other children are homeschooled.

My mom is north of the 84, and her house is located in a pretty desirable elementary school area. If we weren't able to appropriately meet our son's needs with our school, we were seriously considering moving him to my mom's school. The biggest irony to me is that I'm 3.0 miles from my mom's assigned school, and our assigned school is 3.4 miles from my house.

One last thing I can think of, older subdivisions can tend to attract more trouble than non-subdivision areas, in my experience. It's a combination of more renters, and with the houses closer together, it's easier to thieves to hit more houses/cars at once. This has been my observation from both Nampa and Meridian.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:08 PM

5,556 posts, read 4,895,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
I'll testify that northeast Nampa has been a fine place to live. Hoping to get some relatives of mine out here.

That said... I would avoid the number streets (1st-30th), as there's project housing and rentals, and it's still working on being polished up. Higher number streets seem to be fine (40s, 50s).

Other things to consider is that there's a lot of booming sounds from the train tracks along Greenhurst (eastern side) and Railroad St. I'll see several comments a month on NextDoor about "did you hear that booming at 3am?! What was it?!" and then 10 people chime in that it was just the trains hooking up and such. There's also some train depots around 11th Ave... but again, I go back to my "avoid the number streets" thinking.

My overall Treasure Valley impression has been things are nicer north of the 84. But traffic is worse for north of 84. I live south of it, and I would say the biggest way I notice the differences is in the schools. The school we're assigned to has 33% behind in reading. I suspect part of is due to the Hispanic population (55% of the students, last time I checked) and if English isn't their first language, that would explain the reading struggles. It does mean the ERR is quite tapped out, so my son got moved to another school that met his needs better. My other children are homeschooled.

My mom is north of the 84, and her house is located in a pretty desirable elementary school area. If we weren't able to appropriately meet our son's needs with our school, we were seriously considering moving him to my mom's school. The biggest irony to me is that I'm 3.0 miles from my mom's assigned school, and our assigned school is 3.4 miles from my house.

One last thing I can think of, older subdivisions can tend to attract more trouble than non-subdivision areas, in my experience. It's a combination of more renters, and with the houses closer together, it's easier to thieves to hit more houses/cars at once. This has been my observation from both Nampa and Meridian.
Lots of new construction in Meridian and Nampa. I was told to avoid Caldwell which is large in population density.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 PM

213 posts, read 338,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Lots of new construction in Meridian and Nampa. I was told to avoid Caldwell which is large in population density.

I don't love Caldwell, I don't get the greatest vibes when I'm around. I'll do my business as needed, but somehow I wouldn't want to be there after dark. It's just hard to explain, it's not fear of gangs or thugs (Nampa has a few of those too)... but I'm not comfortable there.

I wouldn't say Caldwell is super dense in population, but traveling around can be a bit awkward. It's kinda annoying that there's a 4 mile exit gap on the freeway from exit 33 to 29. The majority of the Caldwell businesses I frequent are in that area. So I'm stuck on Cleveland Blvd for several miles due to this.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
I don't love Caldwell, I don't get the greatest vibes when I'm around. I'll do my business as needed, but somehow I wouldn't want to be there after dark. It's just hard to explain, it's not fear of gangs or thugs (Nampa has a few of those too)... but I'm not comfortable there.

I wouldn't say Caldwell is super dense in population, but traveling around can be a bit awkward. It's kinda annoying that there's a 4 mile exit gap on the freeway from exit 33 to 29. The majority of the Caldwell businesses I frequent are in that area. So I'm stuck on Cleveland Blvd for several miles due to this.
"I don't get the greatest vibes when I'm around. I'll do my business as needed, but somehow I wouldn't want to be there after dark". That's what I mean.

To me Caldwell has a high population in comparison to the areas around it.
Seems to be the higher the population the more crime/congestion and problems you end up with.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:21 PM

26 posts, read 25,093 times
I have been in the area of Garitty and 84 for 1 1\2 years and have not seen or heard of any real problems.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 AM

Just want to avoid those high property taxes over $2,500 annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area