Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 12:42 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,676,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Lack of supply is part of the reason for the current housing market. There are homes all over this valley under construction but the supply hasn't kept up with the demand. But, there is hope because some national home builders have entered Idaho, the Boise market for the first time and have thousands of homes planned to construct.
That's a battle I'm fighting up here in North Idaho. The people put me on the city council to slow down the rate of growth. Then they complain that housing is too expensive for them. They can't have it both ways, and I am caught in the middle. I very highly doubt that I will stand for re-election in two years.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 01:19 PM

1,033 posts, read 723,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
That's a battle I'm fighting up here in North Idaho. The people put me on the city council to slow down the rate of growth. Then they complain that housing is too expensive for them. They can't have it both ways, and I am caught in the middle. I very highly doubt that I will stand for re-election in two years.
Sounds eerily familiar. Given the disdain for all things California, it's highly ironic how much this mimics the slow/no growth polices California started in the 1980s, which has not ended well. Same exact thing: don't like all the new people moving in, let's call them derogatory names ("transplants", "invaders", etc.), let's stop change by not building housing, and "if you don't build it they won't come." Well, people still came. Instead of stopping change it just drove up the cost of housing and priced out those who put the policies in place. Now they are the "invaders" to wherever they were priced out to.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:49 AM

9 posts, read 11,480 times
Thumbs down Denver resident here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
That's it you want to live in Colorado...ug. I will stick with Boise.
Exactly. I work 9 months out of the year in south Denver metro... I gotta tell you, Denver has become a "pleasant dump" (hear me out). It once was one of the safest and cleanest larger cities between 1-2 million (metro area). While the city is not (yet) San Francisco, it has gone downhill considerably, mainly because of incompetent leadership in State Legislature and radicals running Denver city hall, the city has declined considerably.

Open-air drug markets of hard drugs are now common, since weed was legalized. The cops pull dealers off street (some selling deadly fentanyl) and not even 30 mins after cops leave, more dealers come in to same spot even brazenly.

The legalization laws attracted a bunch of homeless and junkies years ago who are now permanently settled here. These junkies use much harder stuff than weed and are known for violence and theft. Go to City Park near capitol area in Denver, you will see what I mean. It is a mini SanFran in that regard.

Housing prices in the Denver Metro area have reached "Boulder proportions". It is crazy expensive here now. $450,000 will you get you a 1,400 sq foot townhouse with HOA dues going for about $180/month or more.

A couple we know living in LoDo (Denver's Lower Downtown area) rent a box for $1,400/month and their landlord has told them Jan 9th when their lease is up for renewal, the new rent will be $2,000/mo! :-o

I personally know several (I mean 3-4 just in 2021) who are leaving even "free/open counties" in CO for Idaho due to lockdowns and simply insane policies coming out of State Leg here. The Gov here is a hypocrite *********; he just said the "pandemic is over" while behind the scenes is quietly providing "relief funds" to right-leaning small counties health dept in exchange for forced masks and forced vax, etc.

If you do not mind an unstable and almost illogical statewide leadership class (likely permanent now) in CO, you will be OK. Even if you live in an "free county", statewide, CO has become a California-lite. And Statewide gov can cause you much harm. Trust me, people in CO are leaving. The hope this will ever be a moderate/right lean State are basically dead. The mail voting system here is a joke, anyone with a stolen water bill from a mailbox can show up and cast a ballot on election day and have vote counted (no ID). -_-

Understand this: while primarily "red" Californians move to UT, ID, NV, MT, AZ, TX, FL etc.... blue Californians come to CO, NM, OR and WA State. This brightening of red states and deep-blueing of blue states will cause this country much hardship in years to come. The country will become even more extremely polarized. 2020-2021 shutdowns have accelerated this trend now and I doubt it will stop.

Even I am considering a move to Idaho... it is not worth living in CO anymore if you like sanity.

Last edited by MaybeMove2022; 01-03-2022 at 02:06 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 02:02 AM

9 posts, read 11,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I am from FL, an "invaded State", which now after many years has become a much deeper Red State due to refugee population who moved down to FL being now mostly right-wingers or leaning right. FL lucked out because the "pandemic" has pushed so many desperate for freedom to move to FL. But this mass migration has caused a number of issues, like lower wages, crowded schools, insane traffic congestions, higher crime, etc.

There are pluses and minuses to controlled growth. I 100% agree that out of control migration from a crazy place like CA will wreck havoc in communities. It will change everything, mostly for the worst. Seen this first-hand in Denver metro area.

My impression, however is that most CA moving to ID are leaning right. CO, where I work a good chunk of the year is taking the ageing Hippies and stoners, a solid left-voting population.

I think planned and controlled growth is a GOOD thing for sure. You cannot simply flood any area with too many people and expect job pay rates will not drop or lack of infrastructure will decrease quality of life.

The question is: how much restriction do you want to growth?

Ps. I am sure construction and realty companies will come after you for re-election for sure at some point. I wish you luck planning for your future, because ID is a beautiful place that should be preserved.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:32 PM

5,558 posts, read 4,905,589 times
Over value and overpriced.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 PM

66 posts, read 69,610 times
No tears here we left a blue state when home prices ballooned up $200k only to retire away from complete congestion. I blame the prices on too low interest rates at the federal reserve too long and dumping billions into the economy now it's a mess. Overpriced? not sure... we are victims of bad federal policies that make sure don't save anything.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeMove2022 View Post
I am from FL, an "invaded State", which now after many years has become a much deeper Red State due to refugee population who moved down to FL being now mostly right-wingers or leaning right. FL lucked out because the "pandemic" has pushed so many desperate for freedom to move to FL. But this mass migration has caused a number of issues, like lower wages, crowded schools, insane traffic congestions, higher crime, etc.

There are pluses and minuses to controlled growth. I 100% agree that out of control migration from a crazy place like CA will wreck havoc in communities. It will change everything, mostly for the worst. Seen this first-hand in Denver metro area.

My impression, however is that most CA moving to ID are leaning right. CO, where I work a good chunk of the year is taking the ageing Hippies and stoners, a solid left-voting population.

I think planned and controlled growth is a GOOD thing for sure. You cannot simply flood any area with too many people and expect job pay rates will not drop or lack of infrastructure will decrease quality of life.

The question is: how much restriction do you want to growth?

Ps. I am sure construction and realty companies will come after you for re-election for sure at some point. I wish you luck planning for your future, because ID is a beautiful place that should be preserved.
That's the thing alot are tired of the restrictive laws in CA. So many are leaving to other conservative states like Idaho.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:30 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,852,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That's the thing alot are tired of the restrictive laws in CA. So many are leaving to other conservative states like Idaho.
They are, even if they are liberal.

https://www.governing.com/community/...iving-up-costs

https://www.sfgate.com/places/articl...o-16241920.php

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...-idaho-2019-12

Old 01-25-2022, 03:03 PM

Yes cost of living will getcha. as well as the rat race every day.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:15 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,157,994 times
As one of those inks said:
For Californians, Boise is mountain living with all the amenities of the city.

The Californians are now pushing Boise as THE place to live, just like they did with NID 20 years ago.

I have no problems with this at all, but if I was to go looking for mountain living and city amenities where things are still relatively cheap, I would be looking hard at the Ozarks right now.

In the Ozark highlands, south of the big lake. Mountains, mild climate, and close proximity to a couple of cities the size of Boise, with a lot of small towns. Arkansas is as conservative as Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area