Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,110 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the little leagues and the football leagues in the Boise area? I currently live in So Cal and the youth sports are very competitive around here and would like to know where the competitive sports areas of Boise are? Also which high schools have the best sports programs for baseball and football? My family is just starting out and we are very interested in relocating to the Boise area within the next couple of years. Also are sports A priority in the area or are the locals more into hiking and fishing and other activities? Any info on the above or any other useful info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Youth football is ran by the Optimist Club of Boise. I played for four years. It can be pretty competitive.

Little League is Little league every where you go. Same organization. But there is an alternative league called Babe Ruth baseball but I don't know much about that.

As far as High School football, Meridian High has won the state title numerous times the past few years. Centennial High, in the Meridian school district but located in west Boise also has a very good team. Capital High is the only decent team in the Boise district. I played at Borah and they are abysmal, getting about one win a year against Boise High who is even worse. If a good team is important, Meridian or Centennial are the schools to go to.

As far as baseball, Centennial is also good, although Borah sucks at football they have a pretty prestigious baseball team as well as basketball, and track.

But the best area for football, even down to the pee-wee Optimist level is West Boise into Meridian.

Hunting and fishing are waning in popularity around Boise as the area grows, so sports are pretty big. Out door sports for the people around here are mainly mountain biking, rafting, skiing and that sort of thing. Not to say fishing and that isn't big, but not as big as it used to be.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM

10 posts, read 61,795 times
Fishing ,Hiking,Biking,White water rafting you name it we do it and we love it. An abundance of opportunities I promise their is no shortage of any of the things you are inquiring about. Idaho is known for its Blue ribbon trout fishing I mean we are the land of 10,000 lakes and you can imagine how many streams. I guess its all in who you ask
My family is young also and there are so many family activities to do you could never do them all and would run out of money trying. Last saturday was free fishing day so they stocked all the ponds real good all over the valley and it was a great time. Their are fishing ponds right in the middle of town all over so fishing is great here...
Hope this helps
Jeff

Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,362 times
Check out this website, it might have some answers for you in regards to high school programs:

IHSAA - Home

Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM

69 posts, read 239,000 times
Football appears to be more popular than baseball. The Boise Optimist league is for up to 12 years old. Then I believe they play in middle school.

Babe Ruth / Cal Ripken League is an alternative to Little League. Both are available in the Boise area. You will probably find baseball not as competetive as in So Cal, Texas, AZ, FL -- places where they play baseball all year long. I have not seen one field with lights for night games. Many fields do not have bleachers. Babe Ruth seems to be loosely run. This could be a welcome break from the strict rules you may have now. This season, the All Stars Team (13-14) was selected without tryouts or notification to all players. A classic case of who you know.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetogo View Post
This season, the All Stars Team (13-14) was selected without tryouts or notification to all players. A classic case of who you know.
Very true, a lot of politics in little league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: