U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,978,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley81 View Post
To purposefully confuse people or perhaps they just didn't have the same perception of the place as you? Seems a little arrogant or condescending to suggest that your opinion is somehow more valid, doesn't it?
Wesley81,

We HAVE in fact had people blatantly misrepresent Idaho which was some apparent attempt to keep people away.

What you will find is that Torrie is a great resource to people here, and she is very candid about the good and the bad here. And not just Torrie...AlleyTD and others...so when we see some people say things like "traffic worse than Los Angeles" or such hyperbole, it's obviously not based in fact and looked at objectively can be seen as patently false.

So I actually take umbrage with your rather bold statement, since I think you're dead wrong on this one.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 AM

1,407 posts, read 2,482,122 times
There is a very vocal minority in Boise who do not like change or growth and if they had their way Boise would be a city with no city parks (damn those taxes anyways), no landscaped medians (damn those taxes again),
and downtown would be forgotten because (damn those taxes) some of that minority does not like the fact there is progress taking place downtown.
I remember some of the minority were even upset that BoDo was built and that our city resources would be used to maintain the development.
That same minority was/is upset that new highrises were/are being built downtown and that one currently under construction was taking away our rights because the tower will hover over the sidewalk....mind you there is still plenty of room for a 20 foot giant to walk down the sidewalk without bopping his head on the building.

They usually paint a negative short sighted picture of what they want people to think of Boise and they desperately try to persuade others to catch on to their point of view. It is obvious when somebody is anti growth, or if somebody just had a bad experience.
I often have to laugh at the outright lies I see posted here trying to give the impression that Boise is horrible. I would hope most people have enough common sense to see through the tainted negativity that takes place in this forum.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 AM

23 posts, read 43,440 times
I've been reading a lot of these posts over the past several weeks and was, myself, getting somewhat apprehensive about our plans to move to Boise from No Calif. after reading some of the posts about how Boise is changing to a liberal area and how Californians are despised. This thread has been extremely reassuring and we plan to come up this Summer to scope it out, and are EXCITED at the thought of having a better life for our family and being able to contribute to the community in many ways.

Happy 4th to All. Wish I were there to enjoy the fireworks in Boise! Sounds wonderful.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM

1,407 posts, read 2,482,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley82 View Post
Who says all of that? It doesn't even make sense if you read it in light of what so-called "growthophobes" suggest.

The fact is that the "anti-growth" voice is quickly disposed of in this forum. But please, since you made the point that some are posting "outright lies," please support that - go back and quote those outright lies and prove it otherwise.

I'm willing to make a wager that you won't and don't, at least, without a barrage of misrepresentation.

That fact is that those that wish to limit growth also wish to promote responsible growth. They are usually anti-sprawl, and as such, promote infill, urban growth, urban growth districts and plans (that are actually followed instead of used as a "guideline"), and building up instead of out. This is why your statements don't make sense.

I've heard of no one complain about there being too many parks. If anything, they might complain about the water resources used to green up a park in the middle of a desert and in a region with undeniable water issues. Please cite me to these complaints.

I've also heard of no one complaining about the restoration of downtown Boise, and BoDo in particular, unless they're focusing in on a) developer subsidies issued by the city through backhanded deals (we're currently in litigation for this issue), b) big box retailers moving in and displacing local businesses, c) possible poor planning which adds to congestion, increased rents and/or leases, and d) increased parking issues. As far as city resources being displaced to subsidize these developments - it's really no secret. Look up CCDC. Look up the litigation pending against the existence of Urban Renewal Districts. Even today we have reports that CCDC is being audited:

CCDC will hire outside auditor at city's request | News Updates | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/432288.html - broken link)
Boise Guardian: No City Audit Of CCDC (http://www.boiseguardian.com/2008/07/02/no_city_audit_of_ccdc.html#comments - broken link)

But on the whole I can't think of anyone that doesn't think downtown has improved in the past decade, and that BoDo is an much needed improvement over the old 8th Street Marketplace. As far as the criticisms against what appears to be the Aspen Lofts being built on the side of the parking garage, the only complaint I've heard is that a lane of Front Street is being blocked off (or, in a sense, the city is agitating traffic flow, which does cost money and increases commute times, gas usage, etc., to support this development....were fees paid for this "free parking?") But again, please cite to this.

I've read this board for much of the past two years, and I can't think of anyone that has purposefully lied in order to paint a negative picture of the place. There are people that have had poor experiences, either with discrimination, or wages/can't find a job, or perhaps they didn't like the weather or found the place boring. These are legitimate complaints, and it's no surprise that (like anywhere else) there are people that don't like a certain area, or have had bad luck. What is somewhat telling is how quickly a certain chorus of posters come on to rationalize those comments away as an anomaly or that the poster herself had issues.

The other posters, the so-called "anti-growth" types, are usually quite supportive of their arguments. I see a lot of mischaracterization of arguments by all posters, and I think that's exactly what you've done above. But being a vocal critic is also part and parcel of being an actualized, active citizen. They have their say. If they're lying, please cite me to their lies and explain why. To sit here in this post and simply say they had been lying, and to expect the readers to simply believe you, is itself painting a particularly rosy picture that may or may not be accurate.

Sorry I caused you stress, but I stand by what I stated. I was referring to the anti growth amongst certain people here in Boise in general, not necessarily anyone who has posted on this board, although there are a few forumers who are very anti growth and it is obvious and in the course of posts and threads, I have seen certain people complaining about the city funds used for our very impressive parks. Some people on this board refer to the boise guardian website..I will hold my tongue, er fingers regarding that sensationalism)
And I recall reading an article on that site, maybe a year or so ago, referring to the Aspen extending over the sidewalk on Front Street.

Your response is a perfect example of what happens all too often on this board. I hit a nerve with you. Sorry.

Please don't ruin this thread with another confrontational reply...This thread is about people actually loving Boise and for once standing up to vocal nay sayers...just pm me if I upset you so badly.
If you want to battle over growth/or anti growth then participate in the guardian message board!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM

185 posts, read 446,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleyclan View Post
All I could initailly say was: Wow!
My niece and her BF are both Chico State graduates, and actually
found a home they were about to purchase off S. Apple St near
Timberline High School here in Boise.

They both *loved* it here (especially the Boise River), BUT despite
his BS degree in Computer Science, couldn't find the right job.

They moved to Aurora, CO after he got a *great* job offer from
General Dynamics.

Incidently, my niece had a year left at CSU at that time, and was
stunned that Boise State wouldn't accept at least 1/3 of her credits!

We used to visit them in Chico, and have been through Chico many
times ... Sierra Nevada Brewing Company comes to mind.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,949,446 times
The anti-outsiders attitude is not unique to Boise, it seems like there is a small group with that attitude in every place...everything good is to their credit and everything bad can be blamed on those damn californians!

The good news is that they're not as vocal in person as they are in internet forums, so they're easily ignored.

Glad you enjoyed boise.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:57 AM

13 posts, read 50,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Sorry I caused you stress, but I stand by what I stated. I was referring to the anti growth amongst certain people here in Boise in general, not necessarily anyone who has posted on this board, although there are a few forumers who are very anti growth and it is obvious and in the course of posts and threads, I have seen certain people complaining about the city funds used for our very impressive parks. Some people on this board refer to the boise guardian website..I will hold my tongue, er fingers regarding that sensationalism)
And I recall reading an article on that site, maybe a year or so ago, referring to the Aspen extending over the sidewalk on Front Street.

Your response is a perfect example of what happens all too often on this board. I hit a nerve with you. Sorry.

Please don't ruin this thread with another confrontational reply...This thread is about people actually loving Boise and for once standing up to vocal nay sayers...just pm me if I upset you so badly.
If you want to battle over growth/or anti growth then participate in the guardian message board!
I love Boise as much as anyone, but I also don't have my head in the sand regarding problems that are related to growth.
If you can't see, or want to ignore, the standard issues cited by "growthophobes" you aren't being very subjective in your analysis of Boise for outsiders.
And just because X problem in Boise isn't as bad as X problem in Y city doesn't mean X problem is invalid.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM

657 posts, read 1,493,149 times
I agree that Boise is a great place. Probably one of the best places around...but I disagree with the idea of people not being allowed to share "negative" views on this board and the idea that people that have a negative view are lying. I'm sure there are people posting to cause people to second guess a move to Boise and I'm sure there are some who just like to get a rise out of people.

I don't think it is fair to the posters on here to discredit all negative perceptions of Boise.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:33 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,372,498 times
So I am a liar then MOD, because you may not agree with what I have to say?

Let me tell you my story of Boise..

I was on my way to Seattle up from El Paso, my car broke down in Boise, and the wife and I took that as a sign that we had gone far enough.. we rented a house and had no furniture.. the people all up and down the street saw we had nothing but the few things in the trunk of our car, and they gave us a whole house full of furniture.. we did not ask, or complain.. they just dove up in 3 trucks and started to unload the stuff. They also brought over fruit they grew in their back yards and deer meat and made us feel really welcome. I have never ever in my life found a people more generous in my life. We were invited to Back Yard BBQ's, and the schools really helped my children grow... heck one school bought my oldest a bike so he could get back and forth to school. There is no place like that Boise, that I had ever been to before or since. We became locals very quickly, accepted and treated with love and respected, and we tried to give back as much as we could, even though it was not asked for. We sold the car and rode bikes every where there.. it was easy to do there. I loved Idaho. Only negative was a big one for us.. we had a management company we were renting from toss us into the street, because an employee of theres was taking our payments and not giving it to them.. when we showed receipts they took us to court, and we were homeless for 2 months. No car, no home living in a hotel.. we had no choice but to leave, the company had black listed us and no one would rent to us there.. when we had done nothing wrong. We picked ourselves up and said goodbye to a place we truly loved and to people we really loved and thanked them for everything. We left and went on to Seattle WA. but that is a whole other story.

So I know Boise Idaho, We lived there for a year and 2 months. We saw the many positive the place has to offer, and a couple of Negatives. The place was changing when the many people from California started to move up to get the TECH jobs. The reason most people dislike the Californians, is they are so fake.. they complain about California, and then do everything they can to turn Idaho into that they ran away from. It is a very beautiful place, one I would go back to in a heart beat.. The City of Trees.. the quality of life there is fantastic.. the Weather awesome.. the people are like no other. So take that for what its worth.. It is true, that the residents, the old timers they don't like Californians.. and they don't like the growth... they like the small laid back Boise.. something that is long gone now.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:34 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,978,938 times
I'm not moderating out negative views of Boise. But when you have a town that's generally regarded as one of the better cities to live in America, and when a newbie asks about it...if the same 3-4 members jump all over that person's question with "don't move here, it sucks" (ad nauseum) or presenting what are really skewed quasi-facts about the area, I take issue with it.

ANYONE with a negative personal perception of Boise (or anywhere in Idaho, for that matter) has the right to start a thread and discuss. But when we (the mod/admin staff) perceive that it's a local trying to keep people from moving to the area, it's going to be moderated. And we do have a member who after consistently breaking the rules got himself banned but likes to keep trying to rejoin. Those posts will continue to be deleted. Once you burn your bridges here, you're done.

So Muhnay, when you say "MOD" I'm assuming you're addressing me, but that would be misplaced ire on your part. I try to let things run as long as they stay civil and balanced. And yes, it's "balanced according to the moderator" since this is a privately owned forum and you are free to play in our sandbox as long as you respect our rules of conduct.

People should remember that this is a RELOCATION oriented forum, first and foremost, not a "prevent growth" forum.

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area