Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

65 posts, read 267,847 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into moving to Boise from Colorado. I'm a teacher and have been told by a handful of people (who happen to NOT live in Boise) that it's very hard to find a job if you're not Mormon. Any truth to this or just typical exaggerated rumors? I find most of the time these generalizations are not accurate, but any insight is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,193,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I've been looking into moving to Boise from Colorado. I'm a teacher and have been told by a handful of people (who happen to NOT live in Boise) that it's very hard to find a job if you're not Mormon. Any truth to this or just typical exaggerated rumors? I find most of the time these generalizations are not accurate, but any insight is helpful.

Though Boise does have a Mormon presence here, the demographics are pretty mixed, so I'm not sure that's as big of an issue as some might want to make it out to be. Teaching jobs are competitive, but this area has grown so fast and continues to grow that the demand for teachers seems inevitable. I believe this Fall season there are at least 4 new schools opening, so opportunities are out there. Pay wise, Boise teachers make a pretty good salary compared to the cost of living when you look at this area in comparison to larger cities. A friend of mine was looking to move here as an entry level teacher; she lives in Southern California and her starting salary was only about 10,000k more a year than compared to Boise, yet her cost of living couldn't come close to what Boise had to offer.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Torrie- thanks for the information. I originally moved from Orange County, so I know how crazy the cost of living can be.
Have you heard anything about teaching or the schools out in Meridian or Eagle?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Meridian has grown quite a bit, as much of the available land has growth heading in a westernly direction. Does that make sense? What I mean is, the growth has been significant on the west side of the Treasure Valley which is why Meridian has had to open so many new schools to keep up with all the new families coming to the area. Here's a link with a little info on the Meridian School District. I bet you will find lots of opportunities opening up. Teaching in the Boise school district tends to be the desired positions only because the pay is higher- the closer you get to the city, typically the more pay, so you will find those jobs to be more competitive.

Joint School District No. 2 - The Schools of Our District (http://www.meridianschools.org/Schools/Schools_Home/The_Schools_of_Our_District/ - broken link)

Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM

That makes sense. I'll take a look at that link. Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM

No problem, glad to help.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:56 PM

310 posts, read 1,277,685 times
last I checked its illegal to be judged on possible employment because of religion. Those people are talking out of their rear ends.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM

879 posts, read 2,847,276 times
All my teachers were pretty liberal (especially in high school) so I think those people you've been talking to were making assumptions. This was in Boise, I can't speak for Meridian and their schools but even in Idaho teachers are mostly liberal minded.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 AM

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. Probably people who don't get hired for whatever reason, and assume the conspiracy theory every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area