Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times

Advertisements

A vitamin company from CA is relocating to Star and plans to open ~ January 2009 :

A California vitamin and health supplement maker is relocating to a vacant warehouse in Star and plans to expand it.

The move gives Palmer Natural Products of San Jacinto, Calif., room to grow while benefiting the small Ada County community by broadening its tax base and creating some new jobs.

"We chose Idaho because it's a business-friendly climate," said Larry Leach, president and CEO of Palmer Natural Products. "Star was very anxious to have us here."

California vitamin manufacturer sets up shop in 'business-friendly' Star | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/477092.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
BAD

I didn't even know this existed.

DHL closing its Boise call center, 105 employees to be laid off | KTVB.COM | Idaho Business | Boise, Idaho News, Weather, Sports & Traffic (http://www.ktvb.com/news/business/stories/ktvbn-aug2208-dhl_call_center_closing.14ed3c5.html - broken link)

Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
Yeah, I caught wind of this several months ago....actually from my UPS guy, LOL! The impression I got from him is the company has been having financial problems for a long time, not from the economy- though I'm sure that doesn't help. Sounded like mis-management to me, but I dunno.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
I have a friend who works there and they are all going to be given assistance to find other jobs. There are quite a few call centers in the area and some are growing and expanding and the company I work for is expanding a call center area of our multi use building. I don't work in my company's call center area but they are ramping up for more employees as well as adding more higher level jobs outside of the call center function.

Call center employees usually seem to move from company to company and call centers come and go and have high turn over rates. They are a good training area for people who are trying to better their careers.
Oh, and my company does not use DHL for shipping because of reliability factors.

Here is a refreshing sign of more jobs to our local area in this bad national economy.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ept-7-in-Eagle

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I have a friend who works there and they are all going to be given assistance to find other jobs. There are quite a few call centers in the area and some are growing and expanding and the company I work for is expanding a call center area of our multi use building. I don't work in my company's call center area but they are ramping up for more employees as well as adding more higher level jobs outside of the call center function.

Call center employees usually seem to move from company to company and call centers come and go and have high turn over rates. They are a good training area for people who are trying to better their careers.
Oh, and my company does not use DHL for shipping because of reliability factors.

Here is a refreshing sign of more jobs to our local area in this bad national economy.

River District to break ground Sept. 7 in Eagle
Yep, actually funny you should mention this....some of my husband's relatives use to own the Lonesome Dove Ranch, weird to drive by and see it gone.

With all these new companies continuing to choose Boise as their location, I can only hope our economy improves sooner than what our state economist had forcasted. I just can't believe they'd keep pumping dollars into these projects here if they didn't think this area had something to offer- which is exactly why I continue my optomistic viewpoint.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
The River District looks like a nice little project! Hope it doesn't sit empty like a lot of other stuff around there. It will be nice to have a theater over there...my parents live a few mins away.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 AM

69 posts, read 239,006 times
HDL,

The good news is that after it gets much worse than it is now... it should get better. 10 months with no job for me and still counting.

We'll have to see what "breaking ground" on the River District project means. How many jobless people will be going to the theater? Isn't there an overabundance of vacant office space scattered throughout the area? What benefit will this development have on the average, hurting person?

I've noticed that overseas work may be the only option for some of us. Lock up the house, move overseas, and sell when the market improves. Our area is apparently too small to be self sustaining and will only improve when the national economy (or California)improves to the point where people begin to migrate here again.

It was the good stories I read (like Torrie referenced) that fooled me into believing I was moving to paradise.

Wow. Do I sound bleak?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 AM

130 posts, read 428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetogo View Post
Wow. Do I sound bleak?
I'm not sure how anyone who is unemployed with no prospects in sight can sound anything other than bleak. You've got the right.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
I'm not sure how anyone who is unemployed with no prospects in sight can sound anything other than bleak. You've got the right.
Thank you.

I have sent so many resumes and applications over the last few months without any response that it feels almost pointless to continue. But I'm told by the staffing agency people that it normally picks up in the fall in this area and that's about the only reason I have for hope.

Unless some good fortune comes my way very soon, I'll be living in my car on food stamps.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:41 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
I agree Steve! It's definitely a tough employment market here for me also. I spoke with the Idaho Dept of Labor a week ago and they weren't any help either . I wish that I could help you, but what I found is that I left my 'network' back in my former state . I was offered the opportunity of a great paying job overseas myself, but for various reasons, I turned it down. If you're able to do that, I would say go for it . The pay for me would have been 3-4 times what I can make here.

It's really too bad that we can't get a job network going on this forum . But so far, nobody reading has replied about openings at their companies, etc. . And for what it's worth Steve, I've always tried to paint an accurate picture of the job market here (from my experience and those persons that I know) for those that are looking to relocate, despite the fact that it would probably behoove my home selling ability to do otherwise !

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1804445-post4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetogo View Post
HDL,

The good news is that after it gets much worse than it is now... it should get better. 10 months with no job for me and still counting.

We'll have to see what "breaking ground" on the River District project means. How many jobless people will be going to the theater? Isn't there an overabundance of vacant office space scattered throughout the area? What benefit will this development have on the average, hurting person?

I've noticed that overseas work may be the only option for some of us. Lock up the house, move overseas, and sell when the market improves. Our area is apparently too small to be self sustaining and will only improve when the national economy (or California) improves to the point where people begin to migrate here again.

It was the good stories I read (like Torrie referenced) that fooled me into believing I was moving to paradise.

Wow. Do I sound bleak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
<snip snip...

That was the BAD news . Now we need some GOOD news !

Please share if your company is hiring in the Boise area and for what position(s), or if you know of a NEW company relocating to Boise within the year! And if you live here currently and are looking for work, please feel free to post what type of job you are looking for and maybe a fellow poster can help you in your job search .

Boise is a great place to live !!! Now we just need to get the attention of some large companies / CEO's and their corporate relo people to come check us out !! We have the talent, we just need more High Tech jobs along with those High Tech wages .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area