U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,699 times
Default When exactly do leaves change in Boise?

We moved to Boise this summer and have just about convinced the parents to visit us this fall but they can't come until at least late September. My question: when exactly do the leaves change in the city (not McCall, Coeur d'Alene or some other breathtaking spot)? I've heard they start changing the last week in September but when does the fall foliage in Boise peak usually?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:27 PM

154 posts, read 664,009 times
Well, if it's anything like Reno (which it should be given their similar climates), I'd say the Fall foliage should peak around the middle of October.

Hopefully some native Boise residents will chime in eventually.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM

81 posts, read 149,977 times
I've been told October as well!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,009,119 times
This is a tough question, especially now as it appears our weather patterns are changing IMO. Last year fall seemed to come early and this year it appears headed in the same direction. We've had two cold fronts come through in the past two weeks, with another one headed our way for the weekend(no rain, just wind and some clouds). Seems quite unusual this early in the season to be having cold fronts moving into the area. It's possible it could be earlier than October. I hope I'm wrong........it's not unheard of to have an indian summer kick in so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Look at this thread I came across in the garden forum, kinda interesting....looks like others are noticing the same weather changes.

trees turning early.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM

657 posts, read 1,451,566 times
I don't really ever remember cold fronts or cooling this early in the year when I lived in Boise. It was definitely nice visiting Boise last winter and seeing grey with snow. Not just grey! I hate that.

I keep reading conflicting reports on weather patterns in California. One day I read, "OC should expect warmer, drier winters." Not two days later, "Area should prepare for cool, wet winter." lol. Although there are signals of climate change there are also places having cool winters. New Zealand apparently is having one of their coolest and wettest on record. It is winter turning spring there.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 AM

ok, I was wondering, as the past 5.5 years I've been here, I don't remember having cold fronts in August either. We're not getting precipitation, just the cooler weather.

This is going to sound weird, but, last year I remembered commenting on the flies to a fellow co-worker and how weird they were acting- like buzzing around crazily to the point of extreme annoyance. Not that I have flies buzzing around me all the time LOL, but it was odd enough to notice the behavior and I seem to remember it being last year in September. I even joked stating, wow, they must be anticipating a cold winter which would explain their out of control dive bombing.......well the funny thing is, I'm noticing this again right now, only earlier....so I can't help but wonder if there's some merit to it.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

657 posts, read 1,451,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
This is going to sound weird, but, last year I remembered commenting on the flies to a fellow co-worker and how weird they were acting- like buzzing around crazily to the point of extreme annoyance. Not that I have flies buzzing around me all the time LOL, but it was odd enough to notice the behavior and I seem to remember it being last year in September.
Sounds like a personal problem.

So kidding.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

2,673 posts, read 4,350,232 times
The sooner they change the better. Fall is by far the best season. Too bad it seems like the shortest.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d26343 View Post
We moved to Boise this summer and have just about convinced the parents to visit us this fall but they can't come until at least late September. My question: when exactly do the leaves change in the city (not McCall, Coeur d'Alene or some other breathtaking spot)? I've heard they start changing the last week in September but when does the fall foliage in Boise peak usually?
Today I was over in SE Boise, driving down the main road of Surprise Valley, and there was no doubt that the leaves over there are starting to turn. Had I had my camera I would have taken a picture for you; but since you're local you might want to take a drive over there and check for yourself. These are large established trees turning and it wasn't just a few of them either. After seeing that, my guess would be full color might be closer to middle of Sept. to end of September rather than October. With another cold front due this weekend and cooler temperatures (I saw 67 degrees for a high on Monday and a couple of days with a low of 48.), this is only going to encourage the leaves to change more.

One other thing I was thinking about that came to mind as I was driving....I seem to remember that the leaves will turn quicker in some areas over others. Meaning, one side of town might start to turn colors, but if you go to the other side of town, the change of color isn't apparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area