U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 33,028 times

Advertisements

Just soliciting opinions...for those of you who have moved to the Treasure Valley over the past few years...how has it worked out for you? I am especially interested in hearing from conservative-leaning folks from east of the Mississippi...I know you're here; I've seen you posting!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM

96 posts, read 606,131 times
Moved out to the Boise area in 1996 from N.H.It,for the most part ,has been very positive.I don't think that I would ever move back east again.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM

314 posts, read 1,159,908 times
Not conservative. Moved to Boise from California this past June. Am very happy thus far. Some things have been better. Some things have been..different. I moved into an apartment complex in June and each month I've seen people move out but not many move in. I don't know where people are moving to. I don't see a lot of out-of-state plates anymore either. Although there was a time where every out of state plate I saw was from Alaska. Strange.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 PM

150 posts, read 552,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingnh View Post
Just soliciting opinions...for those of you who have moved to the Treasure Valley over the past few years...how has it worked out for you? I am especially interested in hearing from conservative-leaning folks from east of the Mississippi...I know you're here; I've seen you posting!

Well I am from East of the Mississippi but I am not conservative leaning. I am from Chicago burbs. But I do love it. Since I lived right outside of Chicago (and lived in a small town in MD for 3 years). I like that its not huge and overwhelming like Chicago can be but it still has the feel of living in the Chicago burbs for me. Of course there is a lot less crime where I come from living right outside of Chicago which is a major plus.
I cant wait for Boise to grow even more and be like Seattle or SLC. But I dont want it to grow too much or too fast.

Also I love the mountains coming from the midwest where it is so flat. Even though I know that out west there are much bigger mountains and scenery to see.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 PM

879 posts, read 2,727,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Not conservative. Moved to Boise from California this past June. Am very happy thus far. Some things have been better. Some things have been..different. I moved into an apartment complex in June and each month I've seen people move out but not many move in. I don't know where people are moving to. I don't see a lot of out-of-state plates anymore either. Although there was a time where every out of state plate I saw was from Alaska. Strange.
Alaskans seem to like Boise. It is remote while still being in the lower 48 and offers as much or more as the typical city in the lower 48.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,848,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Alaskans seem to like Boise. It is remote while still being in the lower 48 and offers as much or more as the typical city in the lower 48.
Idaho universities all offer Alaskans in-state tuition, too. Many of my dorm pals at U of I were Alaskans.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM

314 posts, read 1,159,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Idaho universities all offer Alaskans in-state tuition, too. Many of my dorm pals at U of I were Alaskans.
Diggin' these new smilies.

I think you hit it on the head Stingray. Many Alaskans do situate near the University.

I think that particular is a fantastic idea. I support it wholly. I think they do it with Montanans too, right? Don't see too many of them around, which is strange because my assumption moving here was that Idaho and Montana were like Fred and Ginger

Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 PM

310 posts, read 1,231,715 times
I moved here in August and love it but it really really needs to start snowing in the mountains. I understand Boise itself doesn't get much snow but come on now, I should be skiing already

Old 12-12-2008, 03:43 PM

3,259 posts, read 6,327,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
Well I am from East of the Mississippi but I am not conservative leaning. I am from Chicago burbs. But I do love it. Since I lived right outside of Chicago (and lived in a small town in MD for 3 years). I like that its not huge and overwhelming like Chicago can be but it still has the feel of living in the Chicago burbs for me. Of course there is a lot less crime where I come from living right outside of Chicago which is a major plus.
I cant wait for Boise to grow even more and be like Seattle or SLC. But I dont want it to grow too much or too fast.

Also I love the mountains coming from the midwest where it is so flat. Even though I know that out west there are much bigger mountains and scenery to see.
SLC would be a mistake to grow into because it is in my opinion a city that another city would not want to be compared to. Boise has its own distinct vibe and SLC is always trying to become more of a pleasant city like the type of city for example that Boise is. Most people I come across in Boise do not have positive thoughts of SLC. Boise is much more Northwest in feel and vibe while SLC is more Southwest and feels more like ABQ or Phoenix to me.
The only aspect I believe Boise could look towards SLC for an example is the light rail. Most city council members at Boise City Hall speak of SLC as a city we do not want to become like and strict ordinances have been implented in Boise so we do not become a mess such as SLC. This is part of the reason why our downtown is nicer and more active than SLC's ghostown of a city center which seriously lacks in the feel of community and friendliness.
Seattle, and Portland are better cities to aspire to become similar to but Boise has its own identity and no matter how large Boise becomes the city will always be Boise because Boise is a city which is almost a lifestyle in its own. But hopefully Boise never becomes the size of Seattle.

I am glad you like it here. I work with a Chicagoan who is now a Boisean and she loves it here too. I am a transplant to Boise and I love it here as well. It is one of those cities I never thought I would live in but now that I live here I do not want to live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area