Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,479 times

Advertisements

Asking for a friend interested in paid plasma donation (why do they call it "donating" when you are not, in fact, donating... but rather selling?).

Anyway, my friend lives in the area (works in Caldwell, I think. But I've heard her mention Nampa, so I know it's close). Any help you could provide would be faboo. I googled a place in Boise and told her she might call for referral, but was just trying to dig a bit deeper for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Try to explain to her it's her civic duty to donate her blood at the Red Cross.
Every able body healthy American should do it 5 times a year.

That would be mandatory if I were King

It's good to be the King. ( Mel Brooks )

Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Try to explain to her it's her civic duty to donate her blood at the Red Cross.
Every able body healthy American should do it 5 times a year.

That would be mandatory if I were King

It's good to be the King. ( Mel Brooks )
I wrote my post fully prepared for all of the holier-than-thou, snarky remarks about the evils of exchanging plasma for cash - but your reply was really nice even in it's judgemental context, so I will reply honestly and without attitude...

My friend would be happy to do her civic duty. He husband is a volunteer firefighter, she knows all about the need for blood products. HOWEVER - she is also a mom, caught in a significant financial bind, trying to figure out how to pay for heating oil and still buy her children Christmas gifts. Rather than look for a handout (she thinks there are people in more dire straits than hers and doesn't want to deprive them), she is looking for ANY way to get a bit of extra money this holiday season.

As a parent, it must be hard as hell to imagine your children having no Christmas. I can't blame her for exploring all options available to her.

Thank you for not being mean. I honestly expected it when I posted.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM

238 posts, read 863,536 times
Back when I was younger and poorer (is that a word)... I sold plasma 2 times a week in boise. The $45 bucks a week kept the gas tank full and helped me to not starve... and yes I had a job, and no I didn't have a meth problem, it's just hard to get by these days.

I live in Nampa and haven't seen a plasma center built in the last few years. I was driving to Boise for it about 7 yrs ago and the place was on Overland about a mile or two east from the I-84 exit. If you don't find one in the new phone books for Nampa/C-wel, Boise may still be the only place.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
I am very sorry about my comments and I retract them.
I never even thought that someone might need the money and have little options.
This time of year can be especially hard on people and I will think a bit longer before I post my replys.
Wish her luck for me and let her know of the lesson I learned here tonight.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Thumbs up Classy Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
I am very sorry about my comments and I retract them.
I never even thought that someone might need the money and have little options.
This time of year can be especially hard on people and I will think a bit longer before I post my replys.
Wish her luck for me and let her know of the lesson I learned here tonight.
DESERTRYDER,

It takes a secure and mature person to admit when s/he may have commented too quickly, not fully understanding. I give you kuddos for your remark!

After all, there is a reason the ? exists - to obtain more information. Hopefully, others will learn from your comments.

Well done.

MSR

Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb A Map To Locate Centers Throughout ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Asking for a friend interested in paid plasma donation (why do they call it "donating" when you are not, in fact, donating... but rather selling?).

Anyway, my friend lives in the area (works in Caldwell, I think. But I've heard her mention Nampa, so I know it's close). Any help you could provide would be faboo. I googled a place in Boise and told her she might call for referral, but was just trying to dig a bit deeper for her.
Aand D,

Maybe this link will help. I imagine in the telephone directory (or general Google-type search) names and addresses of the centers can be easily found. However, this is nice in that is shows locations.

find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand_mm2.php?brandID=BLOOD_DONOR&init=45.401,-114.381,6&tlist=BLOOD_DONOR,

On the eastern side of Idaho, in Idaho Falls/Ammon, BioLife Plasma Donation Center is on the east side of Hitt Road (AKA, 25East, the dividing road between Idaho Falls and Ammon). I do realize the distance, but one never knows where they may be when they can donate.

I hope things improve for your friend. They already have since you got involved. Good luck to all of you through this rough time.

MSR

Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 AM

Thank you DESERTRYDER, MSR, and Need2Leave. You hear so much about the economy, but putting a face to it really makes it personal... especially when that face has been my best friend since 1st grade - 31 years ago.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Aand D,

Maybe this link will help. I imagine in the telephone directory (or general Google-type search) names and addresses of the centers can be easily found. However, this is nice in that is shows locations.

find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_brand_mm2.php?brandID=BLOOD_DONOR&init=45.401,-114.381,6&tlist=BLOOD_DONOR,

On the eastern side of Idaho, in Idaho Falls/Ammon, BioLife Plasma Donation Center is on the east side of Hitt Road (AKA, 25East, the dividing road between Idaho Falls and Ammon). I do realize the distance, but one never knows where they may be when they can donate.

I hope things improve for your friend. They already have since you got involved. Good luck to all of you through this rough time.

MSR
I found this site. I still think Boise is her best bet. The only issue is her work hours conflict with the centers hours. I know she's going to go on Saturday. Her husband is employed as well, but his boss (and friend) hasn't been able to pay him for 2 months. It's a rough spot.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,748 times
Living in NID, I was unable to help AandD with information about Nampa/Caldwell. I have, however, followed this thread unfold over the past couple of days,

AandD: Christmas will be difficult for a lot of folks this year, owing to the slumping economy and job layoffs. My heart goes out to your long-time friend and her family, and I hope their situation improves soon.

DESERTRYDER: I've always enjoyed your posts and input in this Forum. To apologize and retract your first response once you had more information is to be applauded.

I am proud to be part of this amazing Idaho Forum!

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area