Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 07:20 PM

14 posts, read 31,767 times

Advertisements

This I posted over on the California forum. It would be incorrect to think of me as another "Californian" coming to ruin Boise, because I am an outlyer on the demographic: I am middle aged, single, but am not coming up to Boise again with a ton of money, or to try and change everything, complain, etc. I'm coming up because, I am very convinced, being a shadow of doubt, that the quality of life in Boise (and maybe states/cities similar to Boise that I don't know about or have not visited), are superior in many respects to S. California - which by the way is unrealistic with its high costs (I have to rent a room to live here in the "OC").
I hope to land a good, interesting job in Boise - if customer service too or call center, that is just fine with me and I'll make the absolute best of it. I hope to get more involved in the community (SWIMBA and Velodrome for cycling), the business community, and many of the volunteer opportunities available - to feed the soul. I have good friends there who have treated me just as well (if not better), than famly down here where I am still stuck (in S. CAlifornia/OC). Go figure.

To heck with palm trees!

:

I've been torn between OC and Boise, Idaho, and am pretty much getting ready to move back to Boise when a job comes through for me there again (I am looking for one). My family is here (in S. Cal), and there's plenty I love about OC. Also, I'm an avid mtn biker, so the friends I have met here in OC, and the trail rides in the Santa Ana Mtns and all over the county with those people are a good thing. Also the ocean, palm trees, weather, etc......

However, why should I sacrifice my entire lifestyle to live here? I don't want to commute and breath carbon monoxide with like a what avg. 45 minute commute one way (or more)? I don't want to rent a room or have to live with multiple roommates just to have a roof over my head. I thought my "vision" would come true - that I could get a great job in south county, like somewhere in South Irvine, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch, etc - then MOVE that way (currently renting a room in Hunt. Bch), so that I have a little bit of Boise here, if you will - short commute to work, close to a nice gym, and close to good mountain biking and wide open road cycling/bike lanes - well instead, the exact opposite happens and the job offers seem to be coming from LA County - I DON'T want to move further away from what I like to do (again, want to live close to work AND the foothills, state parks, santa ana mtns, etc, NOT further way in a cement jungle.........

This may always be home since family is here and friends that matter to me, but so is Boise now

I am returning to the Northwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbkrdr98 View Post
This I posted over on the California forum. It would be incorrect to think of me as another "Californian" coming to ruin Boise, because I am an outlyer on the demographic: I am middle aged, single, but am not coming up to Boise again with a ton of money, or to try and change everything, complain, etc. I'm coming up because, I am very convinced, being a shadow of doubt, that the quality of life in Boise (and maybe states/cities similar to Boise that I don't know about or have not visited), are superior in many respects to S. California - which by the way is unrealistic with its high costs (I have to rent a room to live here in the "OC").
I hope to land a good, interesting job in Boise - if customer service too or call center, that is just fine with me and I'll make the absolute best of it. I hope to get more involved in the community (SWIMBA and Velodrome for cycling), the business community, and many of the volunteer opportunities available - to feed the soul. I have good friends there who have treated me just as well (if not better), than famly down here where I am still stuck (in S. CAlifornia/OC). Go figure.

To heck with palm trees!

:

I've been torn between OC and Boise, Idaho, and am pretty much getting ready to move back to Boise when a job comes through for me there again (I am looking for one). My family is here (in S. Cal), and there's plenty I love about OC. Also, I'm an avid mtn biker, so the friends I have met here in OC, and the trail rides in the Santa Ana Mtns and all over the county with those people are a good thing. Also the ocean, palm trees, weather, etc......

However, why should I sacrifice my entire lifestyle to live here? I don't want to commute and breath carbon monoxide with like a what avg. 45 minute commute one way (or more)? I don't want to rent a room or have to live with multiple roommates just to have a roof over my head. I thought my "vision" would come true - that I could get a great job in south county, like somewhere in South Irvine, Lake Forest, Foothill Ranch, etc - then MOVE that way (currently renting a room in Hunt. Bch), so that I have a little bit of Boise here, if you will - short commute to work, close to a nice gym, and close to good mountain biking and wide open road cycling/bike lanes - well instead, the exact opposite happens and the job offers seem to be coming from LA County - I DON'T want to move further away from what I like to do (again, want to live close to work AND the foothills, state parks, santa ana mtns, etc, NOT further way in a cement jungle.........

This may always be home since family is here and friends that matter to me, but so is Boise now

I am returning to the Northwest
Jobs are hard to find even at the customer service or call centers, lots of people looking for work. Competition is fierce getting employed. Companies are in no big hurry to hire anybody. Better have a lot of cash to keep you go going, till you find a job. Finding a place to live is easy, lots of places up for rent. Bring a smile, lots of frowns on peoples faces.
Good luck.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 31,767 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Jobs are hard to find even at the customer service or call centers, lots of people looking for work. Competition is fierce getting employed. Companies are in no big hurry to hire anybody. Better have a lot of cash to keep you go going, till you find a job. Finding a place to live is easy, lots of places up for rent. Bring a smile, lots of frowns on peoples faces.
Good luck.
Funny - affordable apartment, not possible to find (for me, now), in Orange County, yet readily available in Boise. Job wise, I HAD an offer with a company there - a good company and turned it down - thinking I still needed to be down here. Ughh. Maybe I was more lucky then I knew, but am up for consideration for another position with same company. We'll see.

Can't come back there without a job that's for sure, but not comfortable staying down here renting a room, which is always a pain and not practical.

B Well!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:39 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Home prices are falling so rapidly in SoCal buying a home may be more practical than renting, well if you have a decent income it already is. If you stick around for a year or so you may find something affordable and if the banks begin lending again...

But if you're just over OC anyways...then take the Boise job.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Good luck.
It's not all bad. I work in a call center, and they're looking to hire around 80 people over the next couple of months.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
It's not all bad. I work in a call center, and they're looking to hire around 80 people over the next couple of months.
What call center is that? For the people that are looking for work.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: