Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times

Advertisements

Many unions do work as they should; you don't hear about them much. There will always be some bad apples. The rise of unions largely created the middle class. Busting them across the board is a bad idea, unless you're rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Default ***

I love Boise !!!
If I could find a job that paid well there, I'd move.
Wages are very low compared to most areas.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
That's mainly why I moved from there. Unfortunately Idahoans routinely vote for low wages (and high taxes) indirectly.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM

17 posts, read 71,284 times
They might have lower wages but you can also buy a 3 br house for $150,00! it kinda works it self out. People don't understand that wage and cost of living go hand-in-hand. you want to get more an hour? then guess what? your grocery, utilities, rent are going to go up to match. You can get a lot more pay in california.... of course it costs $300,000 for a house too...

Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
I know I've whined about the summer heat and bad air--and rampant growth and sprawl--here in Boise, but one thing I do love: and that is Fall in The City of Trees. It is almost upon us and I cannot wait. No place I'd rather be in autumn than here. And it's especially beautiful in the North End where I live. SOme days I just drive around withmy windows open and look for the most vibrant leaf colors; just like all those leaf peepers up in New England!
Now....if this summer would just end. Near record heat forecast for the next couple days. (sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL)

Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 19,023 times
Default All looking @ Boise

Just have been reading all posts about Boise and I just wanted to say to all who live there, and want to live there, that you need to consider all things and count your blessings. I lived in Boise for 14 years. I have been a military wife and a flight attendant. I have been to cities big and small all over the US and Boise is by far the most wonderful, clean, friendly, low crime, family oriented, outdoorsy, accepting, fun places to live. They have had their growing pains, but traffic??? Maybe if you grew up in a very small town. Gangs, please! High crime? Look at the sister city of Spokane-- there is crime in Spokane and the police don't even care your car gets broke into every night they will just take a report over the phone and call it good. Boise has very low crime check statistics of major crimes or how about sexual assaults and murders. It is an up and coming contemporary city with lots to do and a great community atmosphere. The schools are overcrowded, but good and trying to be better. The university has grown to be top notch and a great experience for college age students. Housing, so reasonable. Safe and pristine cleanliness-- there is no place in the whole US that even compares. Metro type transportation, don't need it--still can ride your bike, walk or drive, even car pool--people are happy to help their neighbor out.
Please be realistic for the amount of growth Boise has had since 1990. They still have it going for jobs, housing, families, outdoor fun, music, socialization, education and need I mention no crazy ghetto, rundown, unsafe, crazy, desperate people running a muck on the streets, so those who want to be out and enjoy the night life can feel safe and free to do so. A city the size of Boise with all the qualities of life doesn't exist anywhere else in the US so please enjoy and be thankful and if its not for you, don't spoil it for all those who know what to be thankful for and that BOISE is the only place still left where people care about people and their quality of life instead of ruining around with a nose in the air about what they have that you don't.
Improvements can always be made to a structure, but as a city you can't improve a city of rotten, depressed, angry people which Boise as a community sure doesn't have much of. Boiseans are alive and well and they are willing to accept those who reciprocate. Most of all the community is just that a great community full of great people who want to enjoy whatever they love about their life.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBoise View Post
Please be realistic for the amount of growth Boise has had since 1990. They still have it going for jobs...
Please tell, where might these "jobs" be located?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 33,576 times
How do available jobs look right now in Boise?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Brain drain was a major issue in Boise 20 years ago too. It's a difficult-to-resolve but very important problem. Of half a dozen friends I can think of off the top of my head, only 1 returned to Boise. Which is a shame, because it's a great place to live in many ways. The solution is not just better higher education; no matter how good that is, people are going to leave if they can't find a commensurate wage for their education. Among the first two things Idahoans should do is raise the state's minimum wage and repeal the right-to-work law that busts the unions. (Unions doing illegal stuff is bad; collective bargaining is good.) Both of these would eventually raise the average wage, which would in turn attract talented workers to Boise. Given the way the majority in Idaho usually votes though, it's a lost cause for the foreseeable future. Idaho voters basically vehemently demand low wages whether or not they realize that.
The kind of thinking in your post is what we have in California. The working and middle class can not live decently here at all. You should read all the posts in the California threads about how exensive/difficult it is to raise kids in CA.

I work in in the unionized public sector in California. I admit I get fat wages and benefits. But, with our chronic deficits (both state and national) I wonder if that pension I'm supposed to get when I turn 55 is really going to pay out. And we have over 12% unemployment, plus a high cost of living.

If you want higher wages, you have to create or bring in new businesses or industries to pay them. Simply raising the minimum wage and unionizing the work force will not do it. That thinking is outdated by at least 50 years.

From my standpoint, what's legal for the unions to do here in California is the real crime. They buy off the state legistlators to write all these laws that favor unions. But all it's doing is helping to bankrupt the state, which has the lowest credit rating of all 50 states.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcgreen View Post
They might have lower wages but you can also buy a 3 br house for $150,00! it kinda works it self out. People don't understand that wage and cost of living go hand-in-hand. you want to get more an hour? then guess what? your grocery, utilities, rent are going to go up to match. You can get a lot more pay in california.... of course it costs $300,000 for a house too...
Actually, $300,000 is too low for most parts of California that are anywhere near the coast.

You will read in the California threads all the time that the wages are higher there, but the higher pay does not make up for the higher cost of living. And that's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area