Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,155 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm kind of shopping for a new site to hang out at. I'm from Boise and have lived here most of my life.

Welcome me with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 AM

232 posts, read 565,583 times
Default First question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue DOlphin View Post
Hello. I'm kind of shopping for a new site to hang out at. I'm from Boise and have lived here most of my life.

Welcome me with open arms.
Okay....no problem. Welcome to the site!!

As someone who has never been to Boise, and only have inputs from various forums, magazines, and word of mouth, I am always open to inputs from a long-time resident. I will be retiring the middle of next year, and my wife and I are strongly interested in settling in the Boise area. I have been living overseas almost exclusively since 1963 (currently in the Middle East) and am looking for a place not too large or small, but one which has some big city benefits (culture, education, medical care, etc) and some small town benefits (easier pace of life, reasonable cost of living, basic friendliness, etc).

My questions:

1. What does Boise have that would make me want to live here?

2. What does Boise have that would make me not want to live here?

Cheers,

Mac

Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM

314 posts, read 1,217,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post

As someone who has never been to Boise, and only have inputs from various forums, magazines, and word of mouth, I am always open to inputs from a long-time resident. I will be retiring the middle of next year, and my wife and I are strongly interested in settling in the Boise area. I have been living overseas almost exclusively since 1963 (currently in the Middle East) and am looking for a place not too large or small, but one which has some big city benefits (culture, education, medical care, etc) and some small town benefits (easier pace of life, reasonable cost of living, basic friendliness, etc).

My questions:

Cheers,

Mac
Whose thread is this anyway

Boise is very popular with 20somethings and 30something families. It has a large "family feel" to it, overall. But, it is highly desirable for 20somethings because of all the outdoor activities. Skiing, hiking, camping, frisbee golf, etc.

The majority of entertainment involves exploring the stunning natural surroundings of Boise. If these kinds of activities interest you then you should consider Boise. I can't really say this is a golfing/tennis club kind of place.

For culture--there's a great indie film theater, minor league sports, a modern museum, a great public library system, Knock 'em Dead dinner/theater, Idaho Shakespeare Co..those are off the top of my head. It might be small in comparison to Seattle or LA, but the culture "level" is pretty damn good. Boise just needs more.

Boise has all the main chain stores, good supermarkets, great Farmer's markets.

My only major negative is that it's isolated from "bigger" cities. Reno ain't my idea of a big city. Neither is Salt Lake. Portland and Seattle are long drives away.

The weather and affordability is as good as the preceding reputation.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 AM

232 posts, read 565,583 times
Default New to site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Whose thread is this anyway

Boise is very popular with 20somethings and 30something families. It has a large "family feel" to it, overall. But, it is highly desirable for 20somethings because of all the outdoor activities. Skiing, hiking, camping, frisbee golf, etc.

The majority of entertainment involves exploring the stunning natural surroundings of Boise. If these kinds of activities interest you then you should consider Boise. I can't really say this is a golfing/tennis club kind of place.

For culture--there's a great indie film theater, minor league sports, a modern museum, a great public library system, Knock 'em Dead dinner/theater, Idaho Shakespeare Co..those are off the top of my head. It might be small in comparison to Seattle or LA, but the culture "level" is pretty damn good. Boise just needs more.

Boise has all the main chain stores, good supermarkets, great Farmer's markets.

My only major negative is that it's isolated from "bigger" cities. Reno ain't my idea of a big city. Neither is Salt Lake. Portland and Seattle are long drives away.

The weather and affordability is as good as the preceding reputation.

Well, Blue Dolphin did say he had lived here all his life, so I welcomed him to the site and asked questions...

Your answers were just about spot on for what I would expect, considering all the inputs I've received elsewhere.

Just because I'm retiring, doesn't mean I'm ready for the golf/tennis club set. My main interest is off-road motorcycling (not the rip around as fast as I can, but the "go gently upon the land and leave no mark" type that just enjoys the scenery), some bicycling and light hiking, river rafting, and things like that.

The farmer's markets sound great, and I'm assuming there are also craft markets that go along with the them so my wife will be happy. I don't plan to work locally, but would eventually like to do some volunteer stuff.

Good public libraries, occasional dinner theater, and other things sound just right. I assume there must be some sort of outdoor concert venue (concerts as in music with old rockers getting back together...fun stuff). If the college has an orchestra, that's a big plus also.

Your fair city is just sounding so "right" that I can't wait until we come visit in May-ish.

Thanks for the response...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,585 times
Motomac
I'm leading you.
This is about 2.5 hours east of Boise.
It was awesome. There were Elk running on the hills.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM

58 posts, read 167,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Motomac
I'm leading you.
This is about 2.5 hours east of Boise.
It was awesome. There were Elk running on the hills.
[IMG][/IMG]
Beautiful picture. Is this around Hailey?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 PM

actually south of Twin falls in the " south Hills"

Motorcycle paradise

Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
actually south of Twin falls in the " south Hills"

Motorcycle paradise
It's okay. It's better there for snowmobiles (in the winter) and ATV's in the summer.

I much prefer Hagerman (Pipeline) or Paradise (Glenn's Ferry). During the few summer months Wells Summit can't be beat.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM

I am hoping you volunteer to show us those places

Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post

My questions:

Cheers,

Mac
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. To answer you Q's:

Boise has a lot to offer. Performing arts, BSU football, a couple of semi pro sport teams, foothills a short distance away, great dining, Bogus, the North End (that's were I grew up and still live) and four seasons.

Now, for the reasons a person may not want to live here:
Mormons: I get so sick of people pushing their ideas on me and people like me. The anti smoking issue is one of those issues.

Strange politicians: For some reason this state likes to elect some really wierd people to office (Larry Craig, Bill Sali, just to name a couple). There's more, but you'll figure it out.

Inversions: The warm air mass that moves over a cold air mass in the valley. They suck in the winter. Nasty air and the only way out is to go up in elevation.

I hope that helps you out.

btw, thanks to all the other people who posted.

Bless all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area