U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM

379 posts, read 275,329 times
Default About the racial make-up of Boise.

What is the racial make-up of Boise like? For example, is it really that white? How often do you see a minority?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM

3,655 posts, read 1,934,818 times
I see minorities several times a day, mostly hispanic. Also see people from Africa (refugees) or India a few times a week. Very few African Americans here, mostly football players at the college, I think.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 PM

13 posts, read 27,208 times
Boise is not a melting pot.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM

130 posts, read 289,166 times

Your question sort of reminds me of that old saying, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".

I'm guessing if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't go there.

JMO.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 PM

889 posts, read 1,239,122 times
It's very white, but there are some tight knit communities here too (not to the exclusion of other groups necessarily, either).

It depends on what your particular comfort level is. To some it's very uncomfortable, while others fit right in.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:44 PM

766 posts, read 1,219,002 times
There is diversity in Boise whether it be Caucasion or other nationalities.
Each day in Boise I see African Americans, Indians, Asians, Middle Easterners, Eastern Europeans, American Indians, Hispanics, Caucasions.
As Boisepetsitter mentioned Boise is not a melting pot but I think of this city as an open city and accepting city with a growing diverse population.
In the last decade the non Caucasion population in Boise has grown rather fast and will continue to grow as the city diversifies and more people of all races decide to move here because it is a safe and clean city to raise a family. Boise is a city with high standards and a great quality of life as is the state of Idaho.

I also believe there is nothing wrong with a city being predominately Caucasion just as there is nothing wrong with another city being mainly African American or Asian. If a city is mainly Caucasion does not mean it is not diverse, after all Caucasions are people too

A city does not have to have an African American neighborhood or Asian neighborhood to be diverse. Diversity is an attitude, not just skin color.
BTW, I love Indian food and one of the best Indian restaurants I have eaten at is in downtown Boise in the Idanha Hotel. I have lived in London which has claim to some of the finest Indian restaurants in the World and little old Boise has a downtown restaurant that ranks right up there with the best Indian cuisine I have eaten. Mmmmmmmmm Curry!

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-02-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 PM

314 posts, read 719,286 times
Is this a real question or a joke? Are you going to burst into tears if you, GASP, see someone who doesn't look like "an American"? Yikes....

Boise is very white. Idaho is even more so.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,898,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
What is the racial make-up of Boise like? For example, is it really that white? How often do you see a minority?
Isn't that the kind of info you can pull up on city-data?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 PM

185 posts, read 429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Isn't that the kind of info you can pull up on city-data?
Races in Boise:

White Non-Hispanic (89.9%)
Hispanic (4.5%)
Two or more races (2.4%)
Other race (1.7%)
American Indian (1.4%)
Black (0.8%)

Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 AM

5 posts, read 14,217 times
I am sorry, but does it strike anyone else how painfully annoying this observation is becoming. I am a proud Spokanite who has always enjoyed Boise on my infrequent visits & never felt any concern over the perceived 'lack of diversity' present in your fine city. If you read any of the posts on the Spokane forum you will see that a bunch of yahoos are complaining about Spokane in the same fashion.

As far as I am concerned, just because we are predominantly white doesn't mean we lack diversity. Does a person's skin have to be of a different color for him to be divergent from oneself. Does this infer that ALL whites obviously think & behave in the same fashion?

It is my not-so-humble opinion that if anyone has a problem with the color or lack thereof of Spokane or Boise, then they don't need to move here. I certainly don't feel that either city lacks culture or intelligent thought and find no reason for either to change.

Before anyone complains that I am being racist, I'm not. Just tired of being treated as a second-class cultural retard for being white...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area